Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
elite1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Why Does It Always Have To Be A Harley........

So, I'm in outside sales and I walk in to see one of my new customers. In an effort to start up a conversation, I told him I just picked an old motorcycle. Heres how the conversation went.......

Me - "So, I just picked up an old motorcycle I've been messing with......"

Him - "Cool. What did you get? Shovelhead? Knucklehead?"

Me - " Nah, Nah, its an old Honda. Ft500 Ascot. 1982. Thumper."

Him - "Only bike worth owning is a Harley......"

HERE WE GO......

Me - "Oh, you ride? Whatcha got?"

Him - "I dont own a bike."

Me - "You dont?"

Him - "Nope, but I do know enough to know that the only bike worth owning is a Harley."

WTF??? Okay, we're done here.......
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,320
Because the world is half full of mindless asshats. The same losers that plaster MoCo stickers, t-shirts etc. even though the scariest ride they ever had was on a Schwinn. They want the "badass image". The angry scowl that comes with the Village People look. The same guy who couldn't even change his own oil, let alone conceive "restore" an old bike/car/house. We, as motorheads, I've come to realize, are freaks. The mainstream is stick and ball sports. Stick to that and things will go smoother. You'll know when you walk into the office of a gearhead, it's the little things in the decor that will tip you off.

concours screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 04:02 PM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
elite1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Because the world is half full of mindless asshats. The same losers that plaster MoCo stickers, t-shirts etc. even though the scariest ride they ever had was on a Schwinn. They want the "badass image". The angry scowl that comes with the Village People look. The same guy who couldn't even change his own oil, let alone conceive "restore" an old bike/car/house. We, as motorheads, I've come to realize are freaks. The mainstream is stick and ball sports. Stick to that and things will go smoother. You'll now when you walk into the office of a gearhead, it's the little things.
Can I get an amen!
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,691
Nothing wrong with old Harley's, actually I love the old things. But the knuckle draggin' mouth breathers that seem to gravitate to that brand actually makes me nervous for the human races' gene pool.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Just humor them. When they say Harleys are the only bikes worth owning, say "Damn straight!"
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,295
Let's see some pics of that FT500. Most people quit on them because the carburetor/charging system problems cost a few hundred bucks to repair.
Old shovelhead/knucklehead Harleys are cheap, but they require constant repairs to even operate, and, despite what others will soon say, are antiques as rideable machines.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
It must have made a big impression on you to make you share it with all of us. No doubt over the years I have had a few overly excited Harley people ramble on, and BMW people, a lot of Triumph people but NEVER have I had someone come up to me and get excited over a Honda Ascot, but then when it happens I will post about it here.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,516
When people who are not into bikes talk about bikes, Harley inevitably comes up. "Aren't they the best motorcycles in the world?" If you disagree, you get the "obviously you don't know squat about bikes" look.

So I've given up talking bikes with people who aren't into bikes, and pretty much with most "lifestyle" riders.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
When people who are not into bikes talk about bikes, Harley inevitably comes up. "Aren't they the best motorcycles in the world?" If you disagree, you get the "obviously you don't know squat about bikes" look.

So I've given up talking bikes with people who aren't into bikes, and pretty much with most "lifestyle" riders.
In over 35 years of riding I never noticed it but then I was usually on a brit bike. I now have a Harley and nobody has told me its the best motorcycle in the world yet, I have noticed that little old ladies seem to wink at me more.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,283
"You got a motorcycle? Cool! Did you go to Sturgis?"

Tom in Salem
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
In over 35 years of riding I never noticed it but then I was usually on a brit bike. I now have a Harley and nobody has told me its the best motorcycle in the world yet, I have noticed that little old ladies seem to wink at me more.
When they start looking good to you, you'll know you've "matured".

GILF's? Grandmothers I'd like to.......

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
Let's see some pics of that FT500. Most people quit on them because the carburetor/charging system problems cost a few hundred bucks to repair.
Old shovelhead/knucklehead Harleys are cheap, but they require constant repairs to even operate, and, despite what others will soon say, are antiques as rideable machines.
You're joking. Kuckleheads, cheap?

One on ebay, already restored

Another, chopped, would take a lot to bring back to original spec

Another expensive project

One listed at Walneck's, a bobber.

I won't directly comment on their ridability, except to say that I know a few guys who do ride them, some quite a lot.
Have you owned a vintage Harley?
They're no different than most other old bikes; they need regular maintenance to be reliable.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
presto88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I've met a lot of people who are fanatical about their particular brand of motorcycle but, in my experience, the Harley guys are unique in their belief that their bike is the only "real" motorcycle.
presto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #14
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,027
BMW guys have been known to say very similar things.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by presto88 View Post
I've met a lot of people who are fanatical about their particular brand of motorcycle but, in my experience, the Harley guys are unique in their belief that their bike is the only "real" motorcycle.
Oh well, who cares? We all know those guys are not "motorcycle enthusiasts", otherwise, they'd be more open minded about other people's choices.
I know lots of Harley owners (the aforementioned knucklehead riders included) who appreciate all motorcycles.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote