User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
A.S.F. OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
A question of buzzing

Lately I have been thinking about getting a big bike again( lift the front with throttle only). Currently I have a z750s and my biggest problem with this bike is the buzzing that kicks in above 5000 RPM's.

So, enter Craigslist and a cheap Bandit 1200s(late 90's I think). I've never been a fan of the looks but I do know they have a fun motor that gets decent MPG's(I can't go back to 100 mile range, TL1000s).
So I started doing a bit of research and find that this too is a buzzy motor.
I go back to searching and find a Gen1 FZ-1..repeat search...Damm buzzy again!

So here's the question, does anyone have any first hand knowledge as to how buzzy these bike are when compared to a z750.

And does anyone have any suggestions ( I know I'm asking for it here).

What I'm looking for-

Somewhere near 40mpg(or above) while cruising
As above, lift the front on throttle
Not a super commited seating position, but a forward lean is ok
Decent handling

And here's the biggy... I only have $3000 to spend, and the closer to $2000 the better.
A.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
The main issue is that a inline four will inherently buzz. They have perfect primary balance, but there are secondary harmonic vibrations (at twice crankshaft speed).

Some bikes may have a balance shaft to counteract that, but otherwise, your best bet is to try to manage the vibration.

Put some bar weights in, add some weight to your mirrors.

You can change the gearing to put the buzzy section of the rpms outside of your normal cruising speed.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
A.S.F. OP
Adventurer

On the Z750 there is no buzzy SECTION, as soon as you 4500 to 5000 it does it til red line. and it's an annoying amount of buzz.

So with the bandit or fz-1 is it more of a small 1000 RPM buzz range or just a mild buzz every where?

The reason I ask is neither of these bikes are close enough to pop in for a test ride.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.S.F. View Post
On the Z750 there is no buzzy SECTION, as soon as you 4500 to 5000 it does it til red line. and it's an annoying amount of buzz.

So with the bandit or fz-1 is it more of a small 1000 RPM buzz range or just a mild buzz every where?

The reason I ask is neither of these bikes are close enough to pop in for a test ride.
I have a Bandit 1250 and for the most part it is buttery smooth. There are a couple of places in the rev range where you can feel a little buzz but for an inline four it is very good.

Now the 1250 is not the 1200 but I understand they have comparable feel-- so there you go.

However, all that being said--this is not something that anyone else can truly answer for you. People have VERY different perceptions and tolerances for "buzz" so this topic is extremely subjective. I am afraid that you will never know if these bikes are acceptable to you until you ride them.
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
OldManSandman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.S.F. View Post
Lately I have been thinking about getting a big bike again( lift the front with throttle only). Currently I have a z750s and my biggest problem with this bike is the buzzing that kicks in above 5000 RPM's.

So, enter Craigslist and a cheap Bandit 1200s(late 90's I think). I've never been a fan of the looks but I do know they have a fun motor that gets decent MPG's(I can't go back to 100 mile range, TL1000s).
So I started doing a bit of research and find that this too is a buzzy motor.
I go back to searching and find a Gen1 FZ-1..repeat search...Damm buzzy again!

So here's the question, does anyone have any first hand knowledge as to how buzzy these bike are when compared to a z750.

And does anyone have any suggestions ( I know I'm asking for it here).

What I'm looking for-

Somewhere near 40mpg(or above) while cruising
As above, lift the front on throttle
Not a super commited seating position, but a forward lean is ok
Decent handling

And here's the biggy... I only have $3000 to spend, and the closer to $2000 the better.
I had a TL1000S, awesome power - shite handling. I do miss it though & regret selling it for all its quirks. Bought an 01. Bandit 1200 : I don't notice any vibes & it sure had a lot more grunt & personality than the FZ1 I test rode a few years ago. Good luck. Try & ride before you buy. Not too much out there will deliver the power like the TL in your price range. I'm having boatloads of fun on the B12.
OldManSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
A.S.F. OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredulous View Post
There are a couple of places in the rev range where you can feel a little buzz but for an inline four it is very good.
That answers what I was wondering.

Well from what you guys have said it sounds like a Bandit test ride should be in my future.