Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #46
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
I've ridden around in N.Y.C. a total of one ,long night .
This what I learned .
There is no possible way to avoid the potholes in bumper to bumper traffic.
Hitting potholes on short travel suspension takes a toll on your body.
I was on an SR500 . 19" front wheel, very manuvourable if I had X-ray vision to see through the cars it would have been fine.
You can't compare car friendly L.A. to N.Y.

So, if I ever go back it's KLR all the way. If I can't miss the potholes , I'll mush through them. D.S. bikes only.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #47
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
so true...

Not to mention the Jeep would handle better. Those 3-wheelers are what, 3 track vehicles? The absolute worst cornering dynamics one can imagine.
I just noticed your sig...care to ride any of these in NYC?

Nice collection...

12 Ducati Panigale S Tricolore (waiting for it)
10 BMW S1000RR - 09 BMW K1300S
11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red - 10 Ducati Hypermotard EVO SP
07 Aprilia RSV Factory - 05 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (track)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #48
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
Big Ruckus.
Or this, a custom tw200 (as in removed plastic and cooler handlebars. Add a efm or similar Auto Clutch for easy traffic driving.

Hide a Spot GPS device on it for self theft recovery.
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #49
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
After reading all the arguments, and loving buells, and the ideas of sumos ect, I have another option for input. How about one of the newer electric motorcycles? Some offerings (zero, brammo) have decent speed, range brakes and suspension. You don't have to shift them like scooters, maneuverable and taller like motorcycles, a little less goofy than a can am... plenty of body work to hide a gps. Probably more benefits as well as problems.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #50
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,599
I'm thinking of bringing a rocket-launcher to a knife fight... I've been craving a Z1000 lately.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #51
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
I'm thinking of bringing a rocket-launcher to a knife fight... I've been craving a Z1000 lately.
I live an hour north of you in Balwmer, and I own a ZG1000. I can tell you that it's awesome to hop onto the freeway and get out into the country, it's a bit wasted in stoplight traffic. I'm keeping the Connie, but I have my eyes open for something a little lighter with a lot more torque.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #52
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdirtykid View Post
After reading all the arguments, and loving buells, and the ideas of sumos ect, I have another option for input. How about one of the newer electric motorcycles? Some offerings (zero, brammo) have decent speed, range brakes and suspension. You don't have to shift them like scooters, maneuverable and taller like motorcycles, a little less goofy than a can am... plenty of body work to hide a gps. Probably more benefits as well as problems.

Great suggestion, except that in NYC, very few people have garages where they can plug in. I think the newest Zero, the budget model, has a removable battery. But lugging it up stairs on a daily basis would get old. Still, I think electric bikes/scooters are the future of intra-city commuting. At least, they should be.
sfrider300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #53
Snowshovel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Sachs MadAss 125 and a backpack? You could take it right inside with you.
Snowshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #54
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrider300 View Post
Still, I think electric bikes/scooters are the future of intra-city commuting. At least, they should be.
As long as they also make some that don't look like an overfed walrus on toy wheels, I'm game ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #55
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Okay, this is going to strike pretty much everyone as thread-shitting, but hear me out: a Can-Am Spyder RS.

Off the bat, you lose the ability to lane filter, and you'll need to park in car spaces. For all practical purposes, you're not on a "powered bicycle," you're in something the size of a small car ala Mini, SmartCar, or Fiat.

That said-- you're the size of a small car ala Mini, SmartCar or a Fiat. All of which are great urban assault vehicles in their own right.

But the advantages you DO get on the Spyder in the city are better than most any bike:
-- You can't drop it.
-- You don't have to put your feet down at every freakin' stoplight or traffic jam.
-- You can ride through, atop and over anything on the road. Potholes, gravel, debris, gators, leaves, construction plating, grooved asphalt, spilled fuel/oil/coolant-- nothing phases the ride. When you don't have to worry about what's under you, you get to pay attention to what's around you-- a huge advantage in the madness of city traffic.
-- Visibility: plenty more people see a Spyder than a bike.
-- If you get the semi-auto trans, no clutch cramp in traffic.
-- HUGE braking power (with ABS and traction control)
-- Liquid cooled.
-- Integrated storage.

(Oh, for full disclosure: the fuel mileage sucks compared to bikes, that's a downside. But what's gas when you have short city commutes?).

Anyway, after years of riding through city traffic on bikes and scooters, I was instantly fond of the Spyder, it gives me far more peace of mind than navigating the DC urban hell on my two-wheelers.
i think the OP was thinking "motorcycles" not reverse trike abominations like the spyder. You can't even get around traffic jams on one of those, I saw a guy get stuffed the other day trying to do that in Providence. It was kind of funny. He was stuck even worse as I slid by..

My KTM has:

Huge braking power (ABS and traction control are for people who should be driving cars)
Storage - Top box
Visibilty - I can see over even SUV's can you do that on a Spyder?
Liquid Cooled
Much more maneuverable than the miata sized spyder
Can't drop it (I guess you could drop it, I have done so riding it off-road, never in city environment .but then again if "you can't drop it" is one of the things that worries you , stick with the Spyder.)
Oh, and it looks cool as hell.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #56
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Huge braking power (ABS and traction control are for people who should be driving cars)

Other than that - I agree. Why would I want something that basically has all downsides of a car, virtually non of the advantages, also all downsides of a motorcycle and non of the advantages?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #57
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

Other than that - I agree. Why would I want something that basically has all downsides of a car, virtually non of the advantages, also all downsides of a motorcycle and non of the advantages?
I pretty much thought I might see some pushback on my ABS and traction control comment. I don't know if I deserve the ASSHAT though. My overall point was that the Spyder is basically a small car, which kind of defeats the point of them being considered as a substitute for a motorcycle. I guess you are one of the people who cannot live without either. I understand the appeal, I just don't think it is all it is cracked up to be or necessary for that matter. I also don't want to hijack the thread as there are plenty others on here that discuss the topic. Sorry to have hurt your feelings. Lighten up Francis!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #58
cug
--

Quote:
I don't know if I deserve the ASSHAT though.
I wasn't certain either - but to be honest: the anti-ABS crowd is generally very black and white, while most pro-ABS people I talked to have a more "grey exists" mentality.

So, don't take it personally. I think in the city situation, ABS can be very, very handy. I'm not at my peak performance 100% of the time, I am going to make mistakes while braking. City riding is one of the most dangerous where I take every technical help I can get and there is no real world scenario where ABS is counter-productive (like there could be in off-road or track riding).

Quote:
My overall point was that the Spyder is basically a small car, which kind of defeats the point of them being considered as a substitute for a motorcycle.
I totally agree. The Spyder is the worst thing for a city. You don't find a parking spot while getting wet and dirty. What a great compromise ...

And: you can't hurt my feelings. No way, anybody on the net can. I'm around for too long ...
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #59
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I wasn't certain either - but to be honest: the anti-ABS crowd is generally very black and white, while most pro-ABS people I talked to have a more "grey exists" mentality.

So, don't take it personally. I think in the city situation, ABS can be very, very handy. I'm not at my peak performance 100% of the time, I am going to make mistakes while braking. City riding is one of the most dangerous where I take every technical help I can get and there is no real world scenario where ABS is counter-productive (like there could be in off-road or track riding).

I totally agree. The Spyder is the worst thing for a city. You don't find a parking spot while getting wet and dirty. What a great compromise ...

And: you can't hurt my feelings. No way, anybody on the net can. I'm around for too long ...
Got it. I am not against ABS, I just haven't made it one of my reasons to buy or not buy a motorcycle. I lived in SF for over 10 years half of them riding motorcycles, Honolulu for a year and Providence the last 5 which is close to both Boston and NYC where I spend time. Plus the way I ride is not um, sympatico with either traction control or ABS as I like to ride the SM like a giant dirt bike in urban environments. Carry on.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #60
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,278
Brakes, who needs them, they only slow you down.