Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
c5babe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
my turn....

See post #2

There are four things you can't recover: the stone..after the throw, the word..after it's said,
the occasion..after it's missed and the time ..after it's gone.

AceRph screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 01:07 PM Reason: OP request.
c5babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
c5babe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

my turn....

I crashed. Seems a little weird to say it. But I did. I crashed. It was pretty unspectacular. My husband and I are on a vacation ride, and on day 27, my tire came off the rear wheel, and I couldn't control the direction of travel, so I went into a guard rail on the side of the road. I was in the middle of a gentle curve to the right, and I crossed the oncoming lane of traffic and into the guardrail. Luckily, I hit at a flat angle, and the moto (an F650 thumper) slid down the rail for about 100 feet, leaving a red streak all the way from my plastic faux tank.

When the moto came to a stop, I was pinned between the rail and the moto, and I had to wait until my husband noticed I was no longer behind him and came back to see what was going on. Luckily, I was in a comfortable position, and I'm not claustrophobic, so I was happy to wait. It scared the hell out of him when he got back, tho. I was waving at him and yelling that I was OK, and to get the moto off of me! It took 3 guys to lift it off, and I was able to stand up on my own and I knew I wasn't hurt other than maybe a bruise or two. Cars had stopped to help, and a lady had already called an ambulance. When it arrived, they took my blood pressure (slightly elevated) and went on their merry way. A tow truck arrived and transported me and bike to the BMW dealer in Fairbanks, Trail's End BMW. Yeah...great name: Trail's End. Since they can't even look at the damage for a week or more, my husband and I decided to go home to wait. We put his F800 in a storage locker with all my panniers and stuff, and caught a plane out of Fairbanks back to MSP, and now I'm waiting for a call from Trail's End. I heard from my Progressive adjuster, and he says it looks like it's repairable. The faux tank, the beak, handlebars, one grip, left fork, mirror, and a few other nit-noi parts need replacement.

I guess I need a new Shoei, huh?

All in all, I'm happy. I'm upright and talking, I have plenty of insurance, we get to fly for (virtually) free, and when repairs are complete, we will head back to Fairbanks to continue the vacation. We are planning on catching the Ferry down to Bellingham and meandering our way across the US back to Minnesota. More dirt roads lie ahead of us, and we'll find them.

There are four things you can't recover: the stone..after the throw, the word..after it's said,
Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Sounds like you did a great job keeping it upright--if that danged guard rail hadn't been there you might have been better off. The obvious question is what happened with your tire?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Your tire came off the wheel?!?! Was there a puncture?

I got a flat from a puncture recently. Fortunately, I didn't know until I found the bike with a flat the following day.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
c5babe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We shall not discuss why the tire came off the wheel. But we had just changed them the day before.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,730
Glad you weren't hurt.

I too would like to know what happened when mounting your tires. "Mistakes happen" to us all, sharing the details might save somebody else's life. No matter how "Stupid" you feel the mistake was, I'm sure I have the "potential" to make the same one . That's half the value in this forum - the other half is sympathy for your poor bike (and often, rider).

-= Scott

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5babe View Post
I crashed.
and you survived. Yay team! (Seriously, good job; sounds like you stayed relatively calm...)
Quote:
I wish I could show pictures like that to every rider that thinks they don't need a helmet, or that a beanie is all the protection they'll need.

indeed.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 288
Glad it was not worse

I had caught a couple of notes on your guardrail slide last night. Glad to hear it was not worse that it was and you were able to walk away. Hope your time back home is restful and you can get back on the road with decent weather yet.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
c5babe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK. I'll spill. Just no pointing fingers. We've had problems mounting tires on the 650 before. For some reason, the tires just don't want to cooperate. It's extremely difficult to break the bead, and even harder to re-seat it. When the tire was changed, we used that fancy bead breaker from Aerostitch, and we greased the tire bead with silicone to get it over the rim of the wheel. We aired it up to 90-100psi but we didn't hear a POP. I really thought the tire was going to explode. So we let all the air out and looked at the bead, and it really looked like it was seated. We pressed down on it and it felt seated. What the heck do I know? I'm not a mechanic. I did a test ride with no problem, so we figured that it had slid into place because of the super slick silicone, without making the POP. WRONG!!! Moral of the story: Keep airing it until it POPs or explodes.....whichever comes first. Stupidity can kill. As for the helmet...I really think that I'd be looking for a new jaw-bone if I hadn't been wearing it. But that's the one thing I NEVER do: ride without ATGATT. Not even down the street. Not even to move the moto to a different parking spot. Not EVER. I like my face. It's old and well worn, but it's a nice face. I'd like to keep it. I don't understand why everyone doesn't feel that way. I like my skin, too. Skin grafts don't appeal to me. Anyway, there is a person who feels perfectly awful about the accident, but I really place no blame. It was my moto, my responsibility. I wasn't hurt, insurance covers it, I get 2 moto vacations instead of one, and I'm happy. What's to complain about.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Thanks for sharing and glad you're OK!!

s
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,056
Please, use soap to mount tyres. The best tyre soaps are potassium tallate-based. Please please please do not use anything else. And use lots of water - the soap works best at about 1 part soap to 10 parts water.

The reason for using soap is twofold - it's very slippery and it makes bubbles if the bead is not set. The fancy stuff does not bubble and does not maintain the same kind of boundary film on the metal wheel that soap does. The boundary film is what does the work to get the tyre slipped on.

Glad you are ok, and good to know that my bike will be such a bitch when i have to do my tyres......
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Coulda happened to anyone.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #13
Carl Down Under
Aussiwican

Oddometer: 60
Scary! Good to hear you are fine.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #14
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
The fancy stuff does not bubble and does not maintain the same kind of boundary film on the metal wheel that soap does.
Just for clarification, are you saying that stuff marketed as tire lubricant, like RuGlyde, is not as good as ordinary dish soap? Maybe it's just luck, but if I don't get the tire to pop on with 40 psi I deflate and try to work the tire bead, relubricate, etc. then hit it with another 40 psi and it always goes on.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
Ouch.. Glad you weren't hurt too badly...

Those tires will get you every time...

We had a valve stem break off at 80 MPH once on my R1200CLC...That was a ride..

So, You lost all the air, The tire turned into a ball bearing.. Is that about the size of it....

That's what happened to me...I managed to miss all the obstacles and wound up in the ditch on my side..

Usually if they're not quite seated, A few miles will get them seated on the rim...

This was your lucky day. I hope you bought a lottery ticket...

Have fun on the return...

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote