Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
c5babe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I will use the ratchet strap trick the next time the tire is changed. And I have banned silicone from my garage. Thanks to everyone for the tips.

There are four things you can't recover: the stone..after the throw, the word..after it's said,
the occasion..after it's missed and the time ..after it's gone.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #32
c5babe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I got the word on repairs to my moto yesterday. Total damage amounts to $2,335.62, and supposedly it will be done on the 3d of August. HA! Like I believe that. I'll get the money to replace my Shoei 1100 helmet on Monday though, so I'll be able to ride my DR650 around here. If, by chance, the moto is really ready on the 3d, I'll fly up to Fairbanks on the 4th. The One I Love will already be there, because he was going to go up to get his moto, ride up to Deadhorse, and head back down the Cassiar to Seattle. Maybe we can ride back together. If I have to wait longer, I'll catch a ferry down to Bellingham and meet him in Seattle. He has an aerobatic contest he has to go to, so he has to leave AK by the 4th. I just want to get out before the temps drop below freezing.

There are four things you can't recover: the stone..after the throw, the word..after it's said,
the occasion..after it's missed and the time ..after it's gone.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #33
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5babe View Post
I got the word on repairs to my moto yesterday. Total damage amounts to $2,335.62, and supposedly it will be done on the 3d of August. HA! Like I believe that. I'll get the money to replace my Shoei 1100 helmet on Monday though, so I'll be able to ride my DR650 around here. If, by chance, the moto is really ready on the 3d, I'll fly up to Fairbanks on the 4th. The One I Love will already be there, because he was going to go up to get his moto, ride up to Deadhorse, and head back down the Cassiar to Seattle. Maybe we can ride back together. If I have to wait longer, I'll catch a ferry down to Bellingham and meet him in Seattle. He has an aerobatic contest he has to go to, so he has to leave AK by the 4th. I just want to get out before the temps drop below freezing.
Great news!!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #34
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,609
I've used a rope (rached strap) before, but only on tubless tires that the bead doesn't contact the rim enough to get a seal. The idea is to get the bead to touch the rim enough that you can go from 0 psi to 10 psi, especially with low volume air compressors. Once the bead is touching the rim and you are putting air pressure in the tire the rope will not make much difference in seating the bead. It really isn't needed for tube type tires.

The rear rim on the 800 has a deep groove for the bead to sit in. Its a tough tire to change. I would only de-mount it in an emergancy.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #35
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Avoid any petroleum product on tire beads. Silicone and oil don't evaporate once the bead seats and they can allow the tire to slip on the rim. I actually use bead adhesive on certain tires so I can run low pressure off road. (Not reccomended for tires you expect to change without a machine.... )

Ivory bar soap works good and bubbles nicely , put about 40 lbs in the tire and whack the tire with a mallet/club around the tread circumference while its under pressure. If you are not in a shop a sleeping bag is a good safety blanket to keep things under control if the rim fails or the tire fails.

Does the BMW wheel have a bead lock? If it does make sure its loose and mark the stud with the proper direction so when you tighten it it clamps the tire correctly.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #36
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
Just for clarification, are you saying that stuff marketed as tire lubricant, like RuGlyde, is not as good as ordinary dish soap? Maybe it's just luck, but if I don't get the tire to pop on with 40 psi I deflate and try to work the tire bead, relubricate, etc. then hit it with another 40 psi and it always goes on.
RuGlyde is definitely not the end of the world - but as noted - anything that is not water-soluble is bad. PDX mentioned Ivory Soap, which is actually great. I had to unpack some old memory cubes, but the consumer brand of the good soap is Murphy's Oil Soap. IIRC, tyres will not necessarily free themselves easily later, but that is ok. There are tyre machines for that. And larger people.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #37
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,971
glad to hear you are okay. and there is nothing wrong with HAVING to go back to Alaska
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #38
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
RuGlyde is designed and marketed for use as a tire lubricant, and I see it in just about every professional tire mounting shop. In my experience it does dry up and the bead gets nicely glued to the rim. It is made from "potassium vegetable oil soap" and "ethylene glycol" according to the MSDS. It is water soluble.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #39
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

There are a few RuGlyde products - I used to work for the largest tall oil supplier in NA, so I have some experience. The one you note is perfect for the application.

Seriously - soap. There are wonderfully awesome soaps and soaps that are not so incredibly fabulous, but any soap is better than an oil.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #40
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
With NO technical data whatsoever,,, I try and pick one that's got the fewest ingredients..
especially any petroleum based ones...

I only use the ivory because I can get it in those itty bitty sample bars at the grocery store and they fit in my toolbox...
Old water bottle, and a 1/4 in chip off the bar and shake well. :)

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #41
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Dave: The Ivory is a good choice. I'm a tribologist. It's my job to make friction where it's required and eliminate it where it causes problems, all using chemistry. I repeat: the Ivory is a good choice.

:P