Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2015, 03:04 AM   #1
stujamur OP
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,329
Brisbane to Tenterfield overnighter

Tenterfield Ride Match 15

So we decided we would try a track from Trans Australia Trails. I know the track was put together by B1 ( Barry ) and he has done a great job. He has given a lot to advrider and I am very thankful for that.

The track is described as a 2 day 652km ride, for mid size adv bike or bigger bikes with good pilots, and that is spot on. There is a few tricky sections and after rain it would be “interesting”.

For anyone thinking of doing it, go for it.. it is one of the best rides I have done.

4 Riders.

Stu (me) on my fairly newly acquired and fully pimped husky te630. Been riding dirt for about 7 years and had a few years on road bikes before that.

Rob on his 950se – been riding since he was a kid, bought the 950 new and will never sell it. Punts it about tight bush like its an mx bike. It’s a beast.

Wade is riding his newly acquired and pre pimped 630. Has a history with blue, green and another red bike, been riding about 7 years and has a habit of forgetting to take corners.

Marcus is on his mighty drz, big tank and all the bits to get you where you need to go, geared up for big days. Marcus punted around a farm bike as a kid and a few years ago decided he wanted to get back in the saddle. The drz never lets him down – except when he goes through more then 6 inches of water.

A week or so before the ride date there was some planning. I love to plan a little too much and everyone is always trying to take me off plan to stir me up.

The day before the ride I realised I had some issues with my new rad cush hub. The bolts and nuts where making contact with the hub.

Thankfully the lads from Ashs spoked wheels where awesome and fixed it up that day for me, I tried to give them a carton to thank them for helping me out last minute, but they wouldn’t have it.. they don’t drink beer..

We headed out of Kenmore about 645 am and hightailed it too Boonah . A quick feed and just out of Boonah we hit the dirt. The roads from Boonah to the gorge are beautiful fast flowing dirt roads with great scenery. They get plenty of traffic so watch out for on coming 4wd’s etc.

The 14 river crossings where all manageable with the highest being about knee height. The slippy rocks caught Wade out, and Marcus’s drz just didn’t like the water ( he needs to re route a breather hose that’s hanging down and causing the bike to stall when it submerges, I had heard of this when riding drz’s up cape trib) .

We got to Killarney about 1030, refueled and had a good pork and veg roast from the foodworks.

From there the scenery and riding just kept getting better. A lot of it went along the border out toward Stanthopre. There was various National parks, Keerlah, Maryland and Bald Rock NP before getting into Tenterfield. There is a fair few gates so we took turns getting on and off the bikes so we could get a bit of pace up.

We got into Tenterfield about 4.30.

The accom was good, clean tidy and Tenterfeild is a really pretty town that I had not been too before. Our good looks and exotic machinery attracted some local pussy at the Peter Alen Motel.

After a few thirst quenchers we went to the Tenterfield Tavern for a feed and a few more ales, it was pretty busy, staff where nice, food was ok. We plonked ourselves down on a table that was reserved for someone else.

Day 2 was a bit of a slower start we got away about 830.

The morning was a fair few hours of awesome trails. This was the most technical riding of the trip and heaps of fun.

Hootens Road is a great fast flowing road taking you into Urbenvile. Wade forgot to take a corner again at about 90kmph and luckily managed to wash off most of his speed before hitting the fence. He reckon he saw his life flash before him. His bike is new and was running mitas tyres. They where more road oriented then what he would usually use and this wasn’t helping. Either was the stock suspension on the bike

Scenery was tops and we made it Urbenville for a beer n schnitzel.

From Urbenville it is mostly tar, but great twisties. A few hours had us back in Brisbane.

Awesome few days away, and my new 630 didn’t miss a beat – love it..

https://vimeo.com/122631932

stujamur screwed with this post 03-19-2015 at 04:54 AM
stujamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:15 AM   #2
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,838
Nice one stu
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:17 AM   #3
Moyston
oh oo too fast!

Oddometer: 302
good stuff...does everyone get a pic like that a the "Crown"...
Moyston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
Great report

Bring back the TE630 ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
stujamur OP
Havin the craic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Great report

Bring back the TE630 ...
Thanks hoots, the 630 is lovely,- what are you riding now?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:43 AM   #6
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Great report, really enjoyed the writing style and the journey, but most of all: the photos!

Very enjoyable read, and sounds like you guys had a ball. Looking forward to your next trip.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
XLEnduroMan
Husky Head.

Oddometer: 25
Good stuff guys. Beautiful country you have there. Except for the Crocs. Well I guess we have them here in some parts of the States, but not in Northern California where I ride my TE 630.

Sucks for your friend that forgets to take the corners.
XLEnduroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:34 PM   #8
philth
philth

Oddometer: 6,265
good stuff
Old 03-15-2015, 01:09 AM   #9
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
great rr

this looks like a great ride.
boy60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:16 AM   #10
Richo1
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Looks like a great shorty and a good report. Not much better than a couple of mates on bikes for a weekend away from the world. I am a newbie to this site and your report is a good one.
Richo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
racca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Good stuff Stu. Did Paddys flat and Cambridge Plateau with Brendan on your old 610 on the weekend. He's loving it.
racca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 AM   #12
stujamur OP
Havin the craic

Quote:
Originally Posted by racca View Post
Good stuff Stu. Did Paddys flat and Cambridge Plateau with Brendan on your old 610 on the weekend. He's loving it.

Thats great,
Yeh it goes really well , did he fit the heavier rear spring ?
It was a super solid reliable bike for me, but i kept on top of the maintenance .
Old 03-18-2015, 03:04 AM   #13
Katabolism
Bruhahahaha

Oddometer: 13
Looks like a great trip there.

Since my SV probably won't get that far, is it all doable in a 4wd ?
Katabolism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:22 AM   #14
stujamur OP
Havin the craic

You could do it in a 4wd but after rain there is some boggy areas that could catch you out and on the leg out of Tenterfield a lot of the forestry is overgrown . If its an old 4wd you don't mind scratching up it would be ok.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:09 AM   #15
Katabolism
Bruhahahaha

Oddometer: 13
Sweet thanks :)

Only a year old Amarok, but its meant to be dirty and scratches ah well just part of the fun :)
Katabolism is offline   Reply With Quote