Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #226
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Exactly how I got over not enjoying river fish....now it's all I think about. Can't wait to taste the venison I bring home this fall, it's hard teaching yourself to hunt and fish without a mentor and in a major city. Wish I lived in the boonies.
I think it's the comedian Ron White who does a skit about some of his buddies yakking on and on about their hunting trips and all the hard work they go to in their efforts to bring home some meat. Ron says, hell, how hard can it be? I bagged two white tails with my Suburban just last week! I tell you, if you aren't careful driving around here you can nail one daily. I watch like a hawk for deer when I'm on the bike. There seem to be as many deer in the city limits as there are in the forest; maybe you just need a bow and some flood lights in your back yard.

Nice elk, BTW; hope he wasn't in the rut yet, they can be so stinky! I miss eating elk...

Still waiting for the geology quiz, Ben!

Doug
Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #227
Creekgeek
Chief Fry Chef Mgr

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Well...when the world wide apocalypse comes then I'll reset my system to eat wild game. Till then I'll stick to my BBQ steaks thanks!
I draw the line at people asking me to cut off the crust of their PB&J
Creekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #228
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I I tell you, if you aren't careful driving around here you can nail one daily.
Tell me about it. Guess what I ran into tonight...

On the way back from grouse hunting with my boy...he came out of nowhere at full speed.

Thankfully the ARB bumper did it's job and it looks like the deer took the worst of it.

Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #229
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,931
Geeze Ben, glad you guys were belted in!!! So another for the freezer??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #230
Creekgeek
Chief Fry Chef Mgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
A no-eye deer?
Still no-eye deer?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:20 AM   #231
1Down-5Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
They take hunting seriously in BC http://ca.news.yahoo.com/b-c-man-kil...020028270.html
1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #232
nicola_a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Wow, I was planning on doing a long motorcycle trip through Europe after spending the winter in the Canadian Rockies....
But you're making me rethink my choice of continent!

CC; did you carry fuel with you? I've only read about one stop for gas so far in about 2000kms!
nicola_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #233
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola_a View Post
CC; did you carry fuel with you? I've only read about one stop for gas so far in about 2000kms!
Don't worry, I stopped for gas. I'm just getting to the remote part of the trip, I did do a stretch of 512 kms at one point without refueling. I didn't need to carry any. With the fuel-sipping WR250R and the IMS 20l tank, I have up to a 600km fuel range if I'm careful, but I did have to wheel and deal some fuel in the wildernessnas you will find out.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #234
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,119

Ughhhh.... That's too bad. When I first moved to Virginia I bought my first new car in 14 years (seriously! I like to keep 'em!) and IMMEDIATELY nailed a white tail with it, like under 1000 miles. I hit another one at ~3000 miles, and nothing since (now at 115,000 on the car). I've either removed to stoopidest ones from my neighborhood or I've learned more about driving safely in their territory. It's funny, I've also got a 3/4-ton 4X4 truck and I've never even come close to hitting a deer in that thing, just the little car. Fooking forest rats, I say.

Glad you weren't injured and that's a FINE photo of your son and his grouse!

Doug
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #235
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,931
Uhmmmmm.....WTF?! You got kids or somethin'?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #236
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Exactly how I got over not enjoying river fish....now it's all I think about. Can't wait to taste the venison I bring home this fall, it's hard teaching yourself to hunt and fish without a mentor and in a major city. Wish I lived in the boonies.
Wow girl that is just not rite ! You having to teach your self that is .
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #237
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
Okay, so before the new baby, Tumbler Ridge Interlude, packrafting, bear and interrelated distractions we were here with our foxy friend, waiting for some breakfast at the Mackenzie junction.

Only having slept 45 minutes the night before, I made up for it, by having a hearty truck stop style bacon and egg breakfast.

The first right after the junction is the FInlay Forest Service Road.

So, at last we are back on the gravel . Unfortunately, as soon as we got there, it began to rain. So pics of this leg are few and few between.

Most R2 owners chop the rear "whale tail" off the bike for looks. But when riding dirt roads in the rain, it sure beats a muddy stripe up your gear, jacket and helmet all the time.

My "riding boots." With the packrafting gear taking up half my space and weight, everything that could do double duty did.

Sorry about the minimal pics, but it really wasn't that picturesque anyways. There were vast clear cuts on both sides of the road a some points and cut blocks everywhere else. It was truly phenomenal the amount of wood they are pulling out of there.

But in the rain, I decided to forgo (for the time being) the mental struggle of what really is sustainable resource development and instead made a game of passing the numerous log trucks on the straightaways. Every trucker gave me a funny look, but some added a good 'ol thumbs up, as if to say " I have no idea what you are up to out here, but good on ya."

Things would soon change, just 60km from Mackenzie, I met my last vehicle for the day (which would be two days long by that point.) I still had over 500km to go.

Great RR! Brings back memories for me. I treeplanted in alot of these places in the late 80's/early 90's.
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #238
Creekgeek
Chief Fry Chef Mgr

...best kept secret...

I am beginning to understand why this area remains a "Best Kept Secret". Nicely done.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #239
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,980
wow amazing thanks for taking the time to share

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #240
Jimy_tapp
tldr

Oddometer: 308
Eh ... let's see more commitment to this thread here eh flatlander, its awesome. A bit chaotic ... but that's good, because it mimics my life.

You know recently I was reading some historic piece about the PG region around the late 1800's, and the thing that stood out to me was how many guys drowned ....

But you're inspiring me to do some of the same things your up to, including looking into this packrafting. Also read a good book years ago about some dudes hitting the Germansen Landing area to placer mine during the 30's (guy who wrote the book never made any money). I've never forgotten about the area, we almost moved to Cassiar in the 80's but my dad backed out at the last second... guess asbestos isn't for everybody.

...also moose should now be referred to as "swamp-donkeys", just learned that one from someone from your area, I like it.

Cheers ... keep living large brother.
Jimy_tapp is offline   Reply With Quote