Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
Critt OP
Apprentice Advrider

Oddometer: 183
What are the actual requirements of a blue-plated bike? [Ontario]

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what a blue-plated "street legal" bike actually needs to be road legal in Ontario. I understand the difference between blue and green plates, and all the implications of those, but I want to know what a bike actually needs to be blue-plated. (I am not trying to convert a bike.)

My initial thoughts would be (and after research):
Horn ---- Yes, light requirement
Lights ---- Yes
Turn signals ---- No
Mirrors ---- No
DOT tires ---- I assume yes, it doesn't mention specifically
Adequately quiet exhaust ---- Yes, cannot make too much noise

I would like to know where the actual reference is for this material.

The back story: I have a blue-plated bike that is missing a few of the suspected parts (horn, mirrors, etc.). I am trying to figure out exactly what I would need to add in order to be legal, say, should I be pulled over.

'03 BMW F650GS Dakar - sold - https://i.imgur.com/l8vpFTw.jpg

Critt screwed with this post 01-12-2015 at 06:13 PM
Critt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
samslow
one is not enough

Oddometer: 215
Doesn't it have to come with all them items fitted from the factory NOT fitted afterwards. ? That was my take on it.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Critt OP
Apprentice Advrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by samslow View Post
Doesn't it have to come with all them items fitted from the factory NOT fitted afterwards. ? That was my take on it.
The bike I have DID come from factory with all those things... just some have been removed since new. Think along of the lines of off-road modified. Still blue-plated, and street legal in the MTO's eyes... just wondering what the Police require.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
JB13
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Highway Traffic Act

The Ontario Highway Traffic Act is what defines the equipment required (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm). Look in the equipment section.
JB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
Critt OP
Apprentice Advrider

Highway Traffic Act

Here's what I found:

Lamps required on motorcycles
(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).

Other equipment
Windshield wiper, mirror
66. (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with,
(a) a device for cleaning rain, snow and other moisture from the windshield so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver;
(b) a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (1).

Odometers
(5) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with an odometer in good working order. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (5).

Alarm bell to be sounded
(5) Every motor vehicle, motor assisted bicycle and bicycle shall be equipped with an alarm bell, gong or horn, which shall be kept in good working order and sounded whenever it is reasonably necessary to notify pedestrians or others of its approach. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (5).

Signals not needed apparently:
Signalling devices required on trucks, buses, etc.
(29) Every motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicle and trailer having a width at any part in excess of 2.05 metres or having a length in excess of 6.1 metres shall be equipped with mechanical or electrical signalling devices that comply with subsections 142 (6) and (8). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (29).

Signalling turns and stops
Signal for left or right turn
142. (1) The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before turning to the left or right at any intersection or into a private road or driveway or from one lane for traffic to another lane for traffic or to leave the roadway shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (1).

Mode of signalling turn
(3) The signal required in subsections (1) and (2) shall be given either by means of the hand and arm in the manner herein specified or by a mechanical or electrical signal device as described in subsection (6). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (3).
How to signal manually
(4) When the signal is given by means of the hand and arm, the driver or operator shall indicate his or her intention to turn,
(a) to the left, by extending the hand and arm horizontally and beyond the left side of the vehicle; or
(b) to the right, by extending the hand and arm upward and beyond the left side of the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (4).

Interesting to note that intermittent brake lights are illegal (restricted?) in Ontario as per:
Intermittent red light restricted
(14) Subject to subsections (14.1) and (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (14); 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (1).

Old 01-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 841
I agree with Samslow.
lmo,
If you want to be legit, you have to put it to stock, blinkers tires and all. Your bike is considered "factory street legal."
"Blue Plated" is a term for a dirt bike that is street registered.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
clintonroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I would assume a speedometer would be needed.
clintonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
16VGTIDave
blame Reaver...

Oddometer: 525
What are the actual requirements of a blue-plated bike? [Ontario]

As I understand it, only a school bus is required to have a speedometer. I am surprised that bikes don't need an odometer. And they can kiss my brake light, it's going to flash! Just like the ones installed on the OPP bikes.
16VGTIDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
are you needing it just for the off chance you get pulled over or are you looking to pass a safety to register it?
I got stopped on a blue plated yz250 i owned driving around town a couple years ago. Not a single street legal bit on it and the lights front and back were run off a battery pack i had turned off, GPS mounted to use as a speedo, offroad tires
Only wanted to see lic, reg, and insurance to be sure it was actually plated i guess.

If you wondering because you want to pass a safety shoot me a PM
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #10
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

I get hesitant discussing the matter on the internet. The more we educate yahoos blue plating dirtbikes so that they can be hooligans around town, the greater chance that the man will clamp down on genuine dirt bikers just needing a plate to connect trails.

To the original poster, I see you have a Berg 650. Is that the bike we are talking about?
Old 01-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
Critt OP
Apprentice Advrider

Yes, it is the Berg. It is "safetied", but doesn't currently have a horn. The signals are in a cardboard box beside the box, the rear tire isn't DOT, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
I get hesitant discussing the matter on the internet. The more we educate yahoos blue plating dirtbikes so that they can be hooligans around town, the greater chance that the man will clamp down on genuine dirt bikers just needing a plate to connect trails.

To the original poster, I see you have a Berg 650. Is that the bike we are talking about?

In case of being pulled over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
are you needing it just for the off chance you get pulled over or are you looking to pass a safety to register it?

Old 01-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #12
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Bergs were never street legal in Canada but were in Europe.

I would try to make it look as legit as possible.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
Critt OP
Apprentice Advrider

Fairly certain this one was street legal from new (Quebec origins).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Bergs were never street legal in Canada but were in Europe.

I would try to make it look as legit as possible.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 AM   #14
Drilldogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Most of the bikes I've had have been barely legal. Some of the supposed requirements that mechanics have told me are: horn, signals if built after 1972, 1 mirror, chain guard, kickstand safety switch, front fender, brake light switch on both front/rear brake lever, signals are supposed to be a minimum size, handlebars aren't supposed to be more than 18" higher than the seat, DOT tires. One mech was going to fail a bike b/c the little ball on the end of the clutch lever was broke off. Don't forget they're supposed to have unaltered emissions equipment for transport canada.

A bike I may or may not ride, may or may not be missing many of the previous mentioned. Was a little tricky gettting it safetied but never been stopped. Keep it appearing legal and ride in a manner that doesn't attract attention.
Make sure there is a shop around that can safety your bike in case you're sent for an inspection.

One of the shops around here had a visit from the MTO and they more/less threatened him that if they catch him safetying a sketchy bike he'll lose his license. Interestingly, it's hard to find in any writing that most of these bikes can't be plated and I wonder where all the choppers fit in? Most of them are far more dangerous than any plated dirt bike.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #15
Critt OP
Apprentice Advrider

Thanks for the input. Many of the items you mention make great sense... but, where are these included in any law? I read the safety cert... it says that the shop verifies that the motor vehicle has been inspected in accordance with the provisions of Sections 88 to 100 of the Highway Traffic Act and Regulations issued thereunder, and that the items inspected met the prescribed standards of the date of inspection.

As per the doc, it doesn't mention a chain guard, a kickstand switch, etc. Again, several of these additional items make great sense, but I have no idea where they are formally documented as law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilldogger View Post
Most of the bikes I've had have been barely legal. Some of the supposed requirements that mechanics have told me are: horn, signals if built after 1972, 1 mirror, chain guard, kickstand safety switch, front fender, brake light switch on both front/rear brake lever, signals are supposed to be a minimum size, handlebars aren't supposed to be more than 18" higher than the seat, DOT tires. One mech was going to fail a bike b/c the little ball on the end of the clutch lever was broke off. Don't forget they're supposed to have unaltered emissions equipment for transport canada.

A bike I may or may not ride, may or may not be missing many of the previous mentioned. Was a little tricky gettting it safetied but never been stopped. Keep it appearing legal and ride in a manner that doesn't attract attention.
Make sure there is a shop around that can safety your bike in case you're sent for an inspection.

One of the shops around here had a visit from the MTO and they more/less threatened him that if they catch him safetying a sketchy bike he'll lose his license. Interestingly, it's hard to find in any writing that most of these bikes can't be plated and I wonder where all the choppers fit in? Most of them are far more dangerous than any plated dirt bike.