User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Thanks for sharing but a question

If you had to do it over would you have tried to stay on the bike?

I realize every situation is unique and there probably is a time when ejecting is best but there is a school of thought that says stay on the bike with feet on pegs until the bike stops hopefully still on 2 wheels.

I have saved the bike and myself many times by staying on the pegs even when I was thinking this is hopeless. I have also gone down on the pegs and it hurts less than falling off the bike. I would seem you can at least slow down as much as possible before your body takes the hit.

Should we be practicing to resist the instinct to get off the bike unless the stand is down and stopped. What do the pros teach of course this never happens to them so not sure they even cover this.
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
2handedSpey OP
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgc2310 View Post
If you had to do it over would you have tried to stay on the bike?

I realize every situation is unique and there probably is a time when ejecting is best but there is a school of thought that says stay on the bike with feet on pegs until the bike stops hopefully still on 2 wheels.

I have saved the bike and myself many times by staying on the pegs even when I was thinking this is hopeless. I have also gone down on the pegs and it hurts less than falling off the bike. I would seem you can at least slow down as much as possible before your body takes the hit.

Should we be practicing to resist the instinct to get off the bike unless the stand is down and stopped. What do the pros teach of course this never happens to them so not sure they even cover this.

Certainly, I have had many hours to wonder about this too. Once the rear started goi g out, I did the natural "gravel" instinct and gave it a little more throttle to gas it back straight. But, when I did that, the rear just zipped out so fast. The exact opposite of what I wanted to happen. That's when I just said "bail" and tried to hop off the left. Keep in mind, I wasn't going very fast but all of these "micro-instances" happen so quickly it's almost instinctive as opposed to reactive thought. (if that makes sense?)

I believed I did the right thing. I think the bike being full of fuel, saddlebags packed extra full of camp gear, food, etc was something I probably didn't account for. Hopping off, my left foot just snatched the left side as the bike went down.... Rrrrrip. Twist the foot backwards.

2handedSpey screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 08:03 AM
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Wuwei, I had my first KLR650 back in 1986. I don't think the basic design had changed much since then... :)
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
jbf
???????????????????!

Oddometer: 38
Wow, gnarly.

How did you manage to get out of there with the jacked ankle? What was going through your mind?
jbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
2handedSpey OP
bunned

Many things were going through my mind. Embarrassment, frustration, pain. I was never really scared as the five other fellows are all capable and we had two medical providers (one doctor MD) with us in the group. The ride out was painful.
We rigged up bungee cords to the roll cage of a Jeep to keep my leg elevated. We decided to keep the boot on u til we got into civilization.

It is now exactly one month since my surgery.
I am still a bit frustrated and bummed it happened. I still wish I were wearing sidi crossfires, gearne 12's or AlpineStar tech 10's, because I know the injury would have just probably been a sore /sprained ankle. Now, I do PT 5 days a week. I am beginning to stand on the leg and put about 30% weight on it. I wake up at night as a result of pain.
But, I still miss riding my bike. I've already fixed the windshield. I've gone through all my gear, cleaned it up and finally put it away.

I want to finish the ride next summer but I have to be honest, when I watch posted YouTube clips of guys on KLRs I get a bit squirrelly and feel a bit uneasy. I'm wondering if this will pass as soon as I start riding again...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
How old are you?
I found out the hard way riding heavy tall bikes in the dirt is not a great idea after your bones get brittle with age.

Some injuries can really impact your ability to sit on or ride a bike for long.
I did break my ankle, but it does not bother me. Broke my toe, that bothers me walking, broke ribs, no problem after the heal, broke the scapula and clavicle and they bother me a bit, broke my back and that sucks big time.
I have not broken my leg or arm, so don't know how they heal up.
I think things get worse with hardware.

A friend fell off a roof working and broke almost everything, face, both legs badly, one arm, wrist, he is a real mess...
Not sure he is going to ride again...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post

The body is accepting all the hardware, placement is decent, no screws or bolts have broken or backed out. And, there is even some slight bone regeneration/grafting over the shattered parts. I can start to do controlled weight bearing drills & strengthening. Hopefully I will be able to walk in a couple months. Fingers crossed.

I'll post pictures of the latest images when I get to my office later today for those interested in such things.
Yay indeed!

If you are starting limited weight bearing, then walking should not be far behind. I started with PWB in mid-March, and was walking without assistance (no crutches or cane) about 5 weeks later.

You will probably also see more bone regeneration as you start weight bearing.

Yes, post pictures. You know that we love them!
Eyes Shut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
_Davi_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
Thanks for sharing. I wonder how many accidents are caused, car and motorcycle, by somebody fooling with the GPS? It's interesting what you said about catching the boot, though it's really hard to picture how that could happen.
Well, I don't use GPS (I grab my Android at a stop if I desperately need some details), but tank bags have had map pockets since well forever. I do find myself putting one finger on my location while driving and flicking back and forth as I drive... it aint just gps is my point. And I shouldn't be so stupid anymore!
_Davi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
Greg MacD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Wow, sorry to hear about your ankle:

I just started riding a Dual Sport and I bought a $200 pair of boots on the recommendation of a few fellow riders on another forum, after being down a few times now, and reading your post I fully understand the importance of buying good gear.

Like myself, I hope that someone else reads this and also buys some good equipment, although your accident is most unfortunate if someone can prevent a similar injury this post would be worth your posting it.

Hope you get well soon and back on the bike!

Mac
"Drinking Rum before 10 am does not make you an Alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate"
Greg MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #25
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
My scars are similar from an ATV incident, I'll post pics if I can find them.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
2handedSpey OP
bunned

90 days post surgery...

Much to the chagrin of my wife, co-workers & doctors, I rode the KLR in to work today. It's been exactly 90 days since my graphic icky shattered ankle. Numerous screws, rods, plates & bolts.

I had the three month xray yesterday & the doc reported the bones are accepting the metal, no screws have backed-out, bones are grafting and getting bigger/stronger, the muscles, tendons & ligaments which were warped are starting to get back into the swing of things.
So, I decided last minute to gear-up (ATGATT for me) and take the KLR in for a ride.

I have to admit, it wasn't that fun. I kept "flash backing" to seeing my foot under the saddle bag and the phanotm pain/images kept kind of sliding back in my mind. The KLR felt unnaturally heavy(er) & bulky (er), have I gotten weaker the last 3 months? Yes, I certainly have. While going around a rotunda round-a-bout, I tried to slide my left leg out just to see if I could so it, I did it. But, very reluctantly.

At one point, I had to verbally tell myself to :"wake up" as I was riding in a complete coma, if you will. I was completely blanked out as if I were watching a TV screen in front of me. When I realized I was going around a slow sweeper at 35 MPH. I was like "Jeeez, wake up dude. You're riding the motorcycle again." Weird... I felt like Ricky Bobby from Talledega Nights. I am not sure what to make of it. But, I didn't quit. So, to force myself to "get over it" i decided to see some new building sites they are putting up near here. I thought exploring and discovering new areas while riding a dual sport on a sunny October morning would help. Not sure quite yet. I rode past a few dirt roads, construction truck trails and gravel roads but cringed at the thought of going down them. I just kept thinking I 'd dump the bike. There's no way in hell I could pick up the heavy KLR with one gimpy leg. I'd just set it on fire & call my insurance guy (<<<<---------this is a joke btw)

My foot still hurts obviously. At one point I just thought, screw the KLR, it's too heavy. Buy a Yam250 or KTM dual sport. But, given todays economic woes, do I really want to buy & outfit another bike? Meh, probably not. I love this big fat KLR too much anyway.

I have been riding for a little over 30 years. Plenty of experience & wipeouts. But, nothing has ever been as odd/strange as this shattered leg incident. I feel for diesel & the other recently crashed folks on faceplant & hope they recover quickly.

2handedSpey screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 08:53 AM
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #27
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post

I had the three month xray yesterday & the doc reported the bones are accepting the metal, no screws have backed-out, bones are grafting and getting bigger/stronger, the muscles, tendons & ligaments which were warped are starting to get back into the swing of things.
So, I decided last minute to gear-up (ATGATT for me) and take the KLR in for a ride.

I have to admit, it wasn't that fun. I kept "flash backing" to seeing my foot under the saddle bag and the phanotm pain/images kept kind of sliding back in my mind.

Glad to hear that you are healing up nicely.

I was back on my bicycle ( my injury was due to a crash on the bicycle) about 4 1/2 months after the accident and I kept having visions of crashing and hurting my leg again, too. I still have them but they are getting less so over time. So give yourself time, keep riding, don't push yourself, and hopefully the flashbacks will fade. It's only been about 3 months since your accident. Things do get better!

And keep up with your PT!
Eyes Shut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #28
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Glad you are back on the bike again.
After I got out of the hospital and healed up enough to sit a bike (2 months I think) I went to my friends house who picked up the bike after my crash and rode it to my house, doing wheelies (dr650 with pumper carb).
After 2 months it was so great to get back on the bike, even with the pain.
I did NOT dirt ride it though, I waited till I got a tw200!

Even without crashing and getting all busted up, I don't think I would ride a klr in the dirt.
Hard dirt road maybe, but not in the dirt...not at my age...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #29
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I've been on ADV for years. I look at most of this site, including Faceplant. I relate to so many more of you now after a few weeks ago I planted on the dirt. Dislocated my big toe, fractured 3 bones in my foot, and broke the collarbone into three pieces. All i heard was a skid, then i was an inch from hitting the ground. i rode that bitch in hard. I did not react by letting go of the bars, lift my leg, nothing. So fast i did not process anything, except skid, bang. Washed out the front? All these stories have a different meaning to me now. I thought they did before, as a Paramedic Fire Fighter I could relate, but now I'm on the other side. It's an interesting feeling you get going from a joyous ride to the horror of "WTF just happened" and "how the fuck do I get out of here".
My brain is programmed for Emergencies, so I took stock, used my Spot Connect. Texted my injuries, and what I needed. Worst part was thinking I punctured my lung. Thinking of how the Leatherman blade would feel opening my chest to place the broken tire pressure gauge into the hole. LOL. The one thing I did right was bringing extra batteries for my Spot.
I left the house earlier thinking I should bring my first aid kit (I have needles and a chest decompression kit inside), and bear spray. After I hit the ground and new I broke my shit, I thought "you fucker, remember the stuff you didn't bring!" As I hobbled a few KM to get closer to help, as my buddy juggled bikes, and also went looking for help, I looked around and thought, "bears are not in hibernation yet", this would be a bad time to climb a tree.
Bear spray, first aid kit, and SPOT, I'll always have that shit with me, ALWAYS.
The clavicle took a plate, 8 screws, and some chicken wire. The foot, toe got yanked, and metatarsals are o'natural in healing, only an air boot when out and about. My calf was an achy angry bitch, trouble sleeping at night too. Physiotherapy is good, but yesterday they added acupuncture. I am NOW a believer in that. Best sleep last night in weeks. No dull achy ankle.
Praise The Lord!
Heal well each and every one of you. Blessings and acupuncture, 4 wee needles will change your life and maybe I should learn to fall properly too.

Nacho911 screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 11:06 AM
Nacho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #30
2handedSpey OP
bunned

1 year post-op

Good news, I can walk without too much pain wincing or even knowledge of the shattered mess that happened to my L foot 1 year ago.

Bad news, I haven't been riding nearly as much, at all. I honestly don't think I am "over it." being unable to walk, bathe, drive, stand for three months put many things in perspective. Especially since i have two small children at home and a very patient wife. There is still pain but only the first 10 minutes in the morning or when it's going to rain.
A couple screws have started backing out but not to the point of scheduling a follow up.

All in all, I got really lucky I didn't lose my leg but terribly unlucky that as I flopped off the bike my left foot got hung up on the saddlebag. Cest la vis, I suppose.

Again, I can only advise others to buy a full on, beefy mx boot. The gearne 12, AlpineStar tech 10 ot sidi crossfires. All have that nice double hinged lateral /medial support. THAT is important. Don't skimp. Please!