Old 07-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #31
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Good news, I can walk
To be able to walk IS good news. Walking is a joy, even when it hurts. Retrain, both feet for balanced, even gate. Smooth, fluid stride. There's a lot of pleasure to be had in recovering what you can. Finding limits and extending them incrementally. Injuries teach us greater appreciation of our bodies, especially as we age. Plus you even discover there's great fun to be had without a machine.

But I like toys. I value my bicycle even more than my DR650. I spend more time walking and bicycling than on the motorcycle. I think the mobility, freedom and independence of motorcycling is what's really at the core for enthusiasts. Plus being able to see and cover a great deal of ground almost effortlessly;~) But it's all relative and being able to move and appreciate the planet and your body is available to almost everyone in some fashion.

Nice thing about a motorcycle is you can do some basic maintenance, push it in a corner and leave it till you feel like using it again. Meanwhile, there's plenty to do to maintain and enjoy your own equipment. I appreciate your concern that others don't suffer what you have. But I don't think it's bad because you haven't or aren't inclined to ride your KLR right now. Your feet are your primary wheels and first priority, along with the wife and kids. Thanks for your cautionary tale and keep healing.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #32
Racersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Sorry about your injury. All motorcycles come with a standard, non removable random ejection button. It goes off when it wants to, sometimes without warning or any reason, despite our best efforts to avoid it.
Racersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #33
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
I broke my left leg when my klr650 fell over at 20mph and landed on top of my left leg trapped it between the bike and the road, I sold it after that and got a lighter better bike
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
Congrats on walking; Awesome. Can't wait 'til I can join you in triumphant bipedalism!

A word on low-traction riding, big-ish bikes, and boots: my GF had a getoff in Baja last December (I put a Baja Misadventure ride report up about it), and it sounds markedly similar to yours. She wasn't using a GPS, but she hit a patch of sand in the road when it was near dark, and when she attempted to throttle out, the sand and the weight of the bike just kicked out the rear wheel that much more rapidly. She went down, and she WAS wearing her Sidi Crossfires...and the loaded bike landing on her ankle was too much, even for stout boots. No boot is a panacea; her fibula broke badly under the impact. So perhaps a better boot would not have been the whole solution, though it's possible it would have lessened the injury in your case.

In any case, enjoy your continued recovery and your gradual return to the freedom of mobility and riding.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #35
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,827
A year ago I shattered my right wrist. Now it gives me some pretty nice pain whenever I overwork it. When I broke it, I was more concerned about my ankle, I had to walk a mile off the trails and it was torture. Somehow it was not broken. Since then I purchased a pair of Sidi Crossfires. I also now ride with two wrist braces.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
2handedSpey OP
bunned

Oddometer: 237
1.5 years post crash

Ankle still let's me know there is metal in body. If it rains, I know it's coming. Mobility is near 100%. I can walk just fine thank God. But, I no longer run. But hope to soon.
I have been looking around at slighter bike. drz400. Tw200 and even the mighty ct110.
The idea of the fat klr and muddy, dry mud rutted roads just doesn't appeal very much any longer.
I sincerely wish all a speedy recovery. Listen to the doc, practice safe riding and have a wonderful day.

Godspeed.
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #37
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
My ankle experience

Last May, going about 50+ on a gravel state forest road, I came over a rise & hit a small washout. Too late to brake, so I tried to get the front end up (Good luck on a DR650 at that speed) but the next thing I know, I am on the ground listening to the bike, laying on its side, peacefully idling away.

After lying there for a moment "Taking inventory" of my injuries, I thought my right tibia was fractured & left knee sprained, otherwise OK. My helmet had the face shield broken, but the rest of my gear was not even scraped up. My next thought was that if I could pick the pick up, I could ride it out, about 10 miles on dirt roads.

I was wearing full gear,as I always do, but because it was cold, I was wearing my AXO Dart boots, instead of my 30-year-old High Points that I usually wear, unless I am going off-road.

My knee suffered torn cartilage, which it already had, & the ankle was a severe sprain. Both still give me issues, but I cannot imagine what my ankle would feel like if I was wearing the other boots.

After unbolting the broken windshield & both mirrors, I rode home & even stopped along the way to take a couple of pics.

Good luck with your rehab!

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #38
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Are you going to lose the metal?

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #39
2handedSpey OP
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Probably not. Surgery is such a drag. I'll keep it in for as long as I can, unless otherwise notified.
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #40
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thanks for sharing your experience 2handedSpey.

I fractured my ankle and fibula, and injured the ligaments in my right leg this past August up in the Olympic National Forest on my DR650 and it's been a long three and a half months. Fortunately I was wearing my Gaerne ADV boots. I used to just wear Redwing work boots and I truly believe my injury would have been worse if I didn't buy proper boots. The doc will remove the two screws that were used to repair the damaged ligaments next week and hopefully I'll only have two more weeks of the air-cast/boot. The two screws used to repair the bone are permanent. I can't wait to walk again!

NWBoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #41
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
September 18, 2012. Washed out the front of my F800GS. Happened so fast. Did not get off the peg, death grip on the handlebars. I was standing, so I was whipped into the ground. Probably going 20km/h. Snapped the collar bone into. Pieces, and folded over my toes between the ground and the bike. Disco big toe and broke 3 metatarsals. I had a Garne SG 10 set of boots on. If I did not have those on, perhaps my Alpine star Scouts on I'd have hardware in my foot. Only needed a plate 8 screws and some chicken wire in my shoulder. I got off lucky with no metal for the foot, that is much more physio.

Good luck to all of you broke and healing folks.

I'll have a drink for you later. It's minus 26 Celsius here today Brrrrrr not thinking of riding today
Old 12-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #42
keiPHadventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Well, FacePlant is the forum you read but hope to never add to. Thank God it was what it was. It could've been much worse.

As I type this, my shattered Left foot is elevated, in a splint, on Rx meds for pain, hobbling away summer...
11 days ago-During a 1000 mile long ride, I went down on a completely, non-descript, flat dirt road. Sure, there was previous rain which belied the dry surface on the dirt but nothing of any significance or so I thought.

My Garmin was changing map sets, so, going about 25mph, I sat down on my seat to verify we were still on the right road, I put my eyes briefly on the GPS, the rear wheel got in a slight 2" rut, I slightly give a little more throttle, the next thing I know, the rut got a bit deeper, moisture under the top layer of dirt was more significant, the rear tire just like ice slid out from under me. Again, going only 20ish, this wasn't even a "whoa" scary moment. It just zipped out, I couldn't save it, and was just going to belly flop in the soft grass. I was simply going to hop off. No biggie. I've had to hop off bikes numerous times before.
But...

This time...

As I am hoping off, the left latch on my Gaerne Adv boot caught the side of the bike. 1 in a million shot. As I hop off, my left foot snatched the bag, the bike rolls on at 25mph . Nothing between me and a fully loaded 500 pound klr but my soft fleshy ankle.

Full subluxation with a shattered tibia, fibula & talus bone. Trimalleolar fracture. Far out. Talk about a magic BB.

What could I have done differently?

1. Stop. I should have simply stopped. Even at 20mph on a relatively safe flat dirt road. I should have stopped, put it in neutral and studied the GPS.
2. Heavier MX boot. I wish that I would have been wearing an AlpineStar tech10 boot. I know that my Gaerne ADV boots do not have the structural stability to have protected my ankle. Even though it has a steel shank,steel toe, heel cup, and shin bash plate, it doesn't have the lateral support that a heavier MX boot would have provided. If anything, it would have just been a sprain or strain and not a severe, exorcist style head spinning icky mess.

Ride safe. I was riding AT(good enough)GATT. I always ride safe, hiviz gear, boots, gloves, armor etc.
In recap-

1. Stopping, I didnt stop because i didnt want to "lose good time." Now, days, weeks & a projected 3 more months later, what time was I actually saving by trying to look at my tiny 2" GPS screen while going only 20mph?
2. MX boot- The cost of those heavier expensive boots would have been well worth the medical costs.
Sidi crossfire, gearne 12 or AlpineStar tech10. Cost a hellovalot less than 1 month off of work, a 5,000 deductible, pain & misery, Rx, arthritis as an old man, crutches, pins, 13 screws, a rod, plate... Etc etc... Just get the beefiest MX boot you can. I was told by other guys but thought my hybrid boots were "good enough."
Ouch! Must've hurt like hell, man. You're right, it could have been worse. Hope everything heals well and you can get back to riding again.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #43
keiPHadventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
September 18, 2012. Washed out the front of my F800GS. Happened so fast. Did not get off the peg, death grip on the handlebars. I was standing...

...Good luck to all of you broke and healing folks.

I'll have a drink for you later. It's minus 26 Celsius here today Brrrrrr not thinking of riding today
Cheers, man! I envy your winter! Wish it snowed here too!
Old 12-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #44
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Good to hear that the injuries are healing up for you. Your point about the boots has me rethinking my gear a bit... I ended up going with the Alpinestar's Scout when I moved from dirt bikes to adventure bikes (KLR650, F800GS, KTM 990R). I was just reviewing the boot - I hate to think what would happen to my ankle if the 990 dropped on it while in the Scouts... They are comfortable and dry, but really don't offer much protection from the side at all if you look at dropping that much weight on it! Anyway, thanks for the post, hope you heal up back to 100%.

PS - It may take a fair amount of time to get past those memories! Keep your focus and ride safe!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #45
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 385
Glad to hear that you are healing. I do understand what is going on in your head. Had a bad motorcycle accident back in 1972 (car ran a stop sign and out in front of me) and it took 15 years before I could ride on the pavement again. I still cringe when vehicles come at me at right angles. The mental part is sometimes harder to recover from than the physical, even when we get hurt bad or maybe especially when we get hurt bad. It was strange for me. There I was, a U.S. Marine and willing to go put my life on the line but I was afraid to ride on the street. Kept riding in the dirt for those 15 years as there was no cars to hurt me.

Keep on trying to work through the head stuff. It might never go away, but then again you might be able to work through it. I got my head to where I can ride on pavement again but it took me a long time. If I had been hurt bad like you were on the dirt, I don't know. I might have stayed off the dirt.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky