User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,305
Thumper DS as ONLY ride?

Okay, how many of you have a KLR, DR, DRZ....etc., as your ONLY bike?
Advantages? Shortcomings?
I know they all suck on a 5 hour "cruise" on the Interstate.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I had a 2008 KLR650 as my only bike for awhile. Really liked it and worked well in Northern VA, even on the freeway. Only reason I got rid of it was my wife wanted to ride sometimes and the thumper just didn't have quite enough get up and go for the both of us.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
I had my DRZ400 as my only bike for a few years. Best way to deal with it is to not ride any proper street bikes in the meantime that will remind you how much more comfy you can be on the highway .
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,243
yes, for the last 6 years. i have lost all interest in big street bikes.
i have no interest in straight-line highway riding, indeed i cant stand riding in a cage for hours
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
This is a question I ponder quite often. There are a lot of Forest Service roads and what not where I'm at that take off from Highways 101 and 299 that I'd love to explore but I'm not willing to take my street bike on them. It's way too nice for that. I'm going to be acquiring an '06 KLR650 pretty soon. It fits me extremely well and I find it very comfortable. It's underpowered but oh well. I'm still wondering if it could be my only street bike.
I'd hate to sell the Bandit and then wish I wouldn't have. I've done that too many times with past bikes.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
The 2009 KLR is my only ride.

I find these gen2 bikes very pleasant on the freeway, even hours of riding. Granted, the most hi way /freeway I've done in one day was around 300. I don't like doing over 300 miles in a day on anything, really. Street bike, harley cruiser, DS KLR, Jeep, Volvo or Cadillac. Etc. not fun enough

But, yeah, the KLR for me does gravel roads, forest roads, logging roads, freeways, coastal highways, straight I-5 all in stride.

I usually ride with metzler Tourances but currently, I have Dunlop D606's due to an off road trip earlier in the month. When I can ride again, I'll put the Tourances back on after the D606's wear out, of course.

I am 6'4" & 180lbs. The KLR is certainly enough bike to do it all. With a 6.2 gal tank, you can go the whole way on one fill up.

2handedSpey screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 02:36 PM
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,169
I have never owned anything but single cylinder dual sports starting all the way back in 1977. Seriously. It is all I have ever known.

I wouldn't hesitate to knock out a several hundred mile ride on my LC4. I have done it on way less capable bikes. But remember, this is the only thing I know.

I have never even ridden a true street bike or a multi cylinder bike. Ever. So my perspective may be a little off.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I have never owned anything but single cylinder dual sports starting all the way back in 1977. I have never even ridden a true street bike or a multi cylinder bike. Ever. So my perspective may be a little off.
That is truly amazing. 35 years riding experience and you have never experienced the rush of a 4 cylinder liter bike at full wail?

You probably don't want to start now.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I have a Yamaha XT550 that is my only bike. It runs fine at 60-65 and is comfortable. I could ride it on the freeway at 70-75, the problem is how light it is in the wind. For the type of riding I do it is close to perfect.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,958
I've been on a DR650 as my only bike for 5 years. It does all I need, and I've done 400 mile days just fine. I keep myself convinced that it's all I need.

Now and then I ride a V Strom though and it screws everything up.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
patw
n00b

Oddometer: 7
It can be done, but it's more fun to have more bikes ;)

If I had to go down to one bike however, it would be the KLR.
patw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
That is truly amazing. 35 years riding experience and you have never experienced the rush of a 4 cylinder liter bike at full wail?

You probably don't want to start now.

Ha Ha you are correct about the rush of a liter bike. My KLR has been my only bike for the last year or so, but I still can remember how sweet it was to wick the throttle on my 07 FZ-1 to pass a car. Hummm, Super Tenere
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,347
if it had to be me only ride, it'd have to be a 650, I've had a XR650L as my only bike in the past and it was fine everywhere except the really long rides. The DRZ400S could work as an only bike but it does suck on the hwy, I liked it better than the XR650L due the greater seat to peg distance.

I used to live in New Orleans and it was always a long ride to get to the good roads so I added a street bike and just last year went down to 1 bike the R1200GS while living in San Jose. Honestly out here I would be more than happy with something like an X-Challenge or 690 as my sole bike. I rented a F800GS out here in CO when they were first released and it was IMHO the best bike you could ask for, more than enough hwy power but still nimble enough to blast down fire roads.

I think a budget minded compromise might be a KLR with the 685 Kit and some suspension work.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,079
Multi cyl. streetbike, meh, what for? Speed you can't use, silly/uncomfortable rider position, tiny travel stiff suspension.

My 640 is fast enough on the road for me, is great fun in the twistys (even on DOT knobbys) and I can go down any gravel road or trail I care to.

If the 640 isn't quick enough for you on the road - get a KTM twin. Still no need for 1000+ cc's, or 3 cyl., or 4 cyl.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 986
I have a KLR650 and nothing else running. With a 16t countershaft gear it's adequate on the highway for commute, I stick it at 72mph (80 indicated) and use my freeway pegs (the rear set) and cruise along.

One day I'd like to get something with my cylinders for daily commute but the wife seems to think there's better things to spend money on...
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote