User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Mannheim -> Bolzano, any suggestion?

Hi Adventurers, in 5 of August i'm going to Bolzano with a friend to meet other riders from Greece and make a week tour at Dolomites. We start from Mannheim of Germany and we finish at Bolzano passing through Austria.

We want your suggestions for a route that doesn't exceeding the 600km (my ER-6n does not have big tank) and avoids the boring autobahns as possible as it can be. I already saw some roads at google maps but i want the opinions of experienced people + any other notice for the trip (for example i learned recently that i have to buy the vignete at Austria).

Look forward for your answers... Thank you.
steven_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
hensmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Dear Steven, my name is Hans, living in Reutlingen.
Never wanted to spend the money in vignettes und left Austria out, since years.
Here my suggestions:
Drive over small routes is a nearly two day drive, so stay on the A5 till you can cross the black forest, at a place you want.
Destination is the lake constance at the south sea-line.
You go Kreuzlingen, St. Margareten Chur to Davos.
It is a hard drive, cause the small towns in Switzerland are whitespread and you have all over the speed limits, but it is worth driving. Kind off the drive and not the destination.
From Davos you take Ofen Pass, after Flüela, and after Zernez and St. Maria you cross the border to Italy.
From Schluderns you go over Meran to Bolzano.
I know it is a little bit longer, but beside Germany, you leave the Highway out and you drive throug amacing landscape.
During the day, gasstations are in service, in St. Margareten you can cross the border for a cheap filling and crossing the alps is done in some hours.
Have a nice trip, Hans.
hensmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Hello Hans, thank's for the answer. I made the route you suggested on google maps and looks interesting!!!! Very nice suggestions, exceeds our 600km limit but i think is on affordable limits. I will wait for more answers and i will keep studying the route
Old 07-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Click "Show options" and then check box "Avoid highays" and recalculate.

For another route suggestion delete intermediate points and recalculate again: The B16 route looks nice too, avoids Stuttgart and other big towns. You might use Timmelsjoch (toll!) as Google suggests or Reschen or Brenner (according to weather).

BTW:
- I don't understand your 600km limit because of your "small" tank. Do you really wan't a 600km nonstop ride on rural streets? If with breaks, a single fuel stop isn't a big obstacle.
- we live just 3km apart.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensmen View Post
Drive over small routes is a nearly two day drive, so stay on the A5 till you can cross the black forest, at a place you want.
+1

My bike is in Heidelberg and I tried the overland route last year instead of the Autobahn. Lots of small towns, close together and sloooow.

Take the Autobahn until it starts getting less congested and hilly - MUCH nicer use of your time.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicethomas View Post
Click "Show options" and then check box "Avoid highays" and recalculate.

For another route suggestion delete intermediate points and recalculate again: The B16 route looks nice too, avoids Stuttgart and other big towns. You might use Timmelsjoch (toll!) as Google suggests or Reschen or Brenner (according to weather).

BTW:
- I don't understand your 600km limit because of your "small" tank. Do you really wan't a 600km nonstop ride on rural streets? If with breaks, a single fuel stop isn't a big obstacle.
- we live just 3km apart.
-The 600Km is not only for the small tank but also a matter of time. We would like to be in Bolzano as much early in the afternoon as it can be (of course we will start early in the morning) and with small tank i have to go out for refuel every 250Km. My target is to do Maximum of 2 fuel stops because we will definitely get lost a couple of times so we will loose extra time.

-Only 3Km??? We could go for a coffee sometime :)

@MichaelJ thank's for your advice. You will see my bike also in Heidelberg as i live in Ludwigshafen and i work in Heidelberg. I come every day with my white ER-6n.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
hensmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Steven, once again Hans.
Your time window is thigt,
Take the Autobahn till Kempten and than Füssen Garmisch Telfs Innsbruck.
So you can change back on the Autobahn, cause off the traffic around the tourist places. Still have in mind the weather, more than the stops for filling up. I do not remember if you go solo, there are different capacities by volume and the stiffnes off the end off the spine.
The sight seeing thing can you make on the return ?!
In austria you have the short time "pickerl" and you need more gas on the autobahn.
Hans.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
"Mannheim -> Bolzano, any suggestion?"

Take me with you?

I'm afraid I'm wasting (?) this year's (and perhaps a few more) euro trips on another bike.
Have a great ride, will watch for your RR.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Steven, once again Hans.
Your time window is thigt,
Take the Autobahn till Kempten and than Füssen Garmisch Telfs Innsbruck.
So you can change back on the Autobahn, cause off the traffic around the tourist places. Still have in mind the weather, more than the stops for filling up. I do not remember if you go solo, there are different capacities by volume and the stiffnes off the end off the spine.
The sight seeing thing can you make on the return ?!
In austria you have the short time "pickerl" and you need more gas on the autobahn.
Hans.
You suggest to go Kempten and then take autobahn to Insbruck and then to Italy? Until now, i'm planning to take the autobahn until Kostanz and then road to Davos, road to Silandro and continue to Bolzano. Seems interesting but i agree that it will be more difficult if we find rain.

I will go with a friend who rides a Fazer 600 2004.

@on2wheels5, you can travel with every bike if you want (i know some greek guys who went to Nordkapp with Vespas).
Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
hensmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello Steven, good choice, it is my favorite.
Coming from Reutlingen myself, it is our route to aproach Italy. But never forget, it takes you over six hours, only driving, from Konstanz/Kreuzlingen to Bozen.
If you can spend one hour plus, ore more: At Santa Maria, Val Müstair you sidestep to Umbrail Pass and Stilfser Joch to Prad and than Meran.
I know there are more km, but it is amazing and a lust to drive.
Wish you the best weather and much fun.
Hans
Old 07-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #11
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Hello Steven, good choice, it is my favorite.
Coming from Reutlingen myself, it is our route to aproach Italy. But never forget, it takes you over six hours, only driving, from Konstanz/Kreuzlingen to Bozen.
If you can spend one hour plus, ore more: At Santa Maria, Val Müstair you sidestep to Umbrail Pass and Stilfser Joch to Prad and than Meran.
I know there are more km, but it is amazing and a lust to drive.
Wish you the best weather and much fun.
Hans
6 Hours???? Really? So it's going to take us at least 9 hours of driving ( 3 hours to Konstanz and 6 to Bolzano).

Unfortunatelly there are no extra hours to spend on sightseeing and other activities, my other friend is inexperienced on big trips. So as i see to the map we will pass from Konstanz to Kreuzlingenand then take the route 13 to Romanshorn, Rorschbach, turn right to A13 and straight away to Vaduz, after passing Vaduz turn right to route 28 to Davos and Santa Maria. The only difficult and slow part i see on the map is the Davos-Silandro. I guess it will take us at least to hours to pass it.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
You'll need the Swiss highway vignette. You can buy (and attach) it in advance at ADAC shop Ludwigshafen or somwhere else.
The slow part will be through the uncountable Swiss villages with their strict 50kph limit. From Davos on, in the mountains, it's more fun.
Your friend might get a sore bum and become disabled for the next day(s). ;)
6 hours is more than enough driving time, imho. Google suggests ca. 5 hours. But of course you'll make breaks. Get off the bike and walk frequently.

alicethomas screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 03:33 AM
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Twawsi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Steven,

I make the trip from Veneto to your area and back at least once a month and I've taken a lot of different variations (going through Brenner pass or Lugano is only a 15 minute difference) . What I can tell you is that when it comes to vignettes, Austria's vignette is a LOT less expensive than CH's. With your 600km and minimal Autobahn limitations, I hope you can find a ride that suits you and your riding partner.
Personally, I would use the Autobahn in the beginning to make time, get to an area that you'd like to explore a bit and then do that. Best of Luck!

T
2012 Bucci 150 Cross
Twawsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
Mr&MrsErnbo
Taggin' Machines

Oddometer: 1,315
Yes, .... take plenty of pics and post often. This will make those of us stuck at home overly jealous

Have a great ride and be safe. Once in Bolzano take the time to ride up to Castelrotto, you won't regret the wonderful twisty and steep climb up to Europe's highest and most beautiful Alpine meadow.

Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
steven_04 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twawsi View Post
Steven,

I make the trip from Veneto to your area and back at least once a month and I've taken a lot of different variations (going through Brenner pass or Lugano is only a 15 minute difference) . What I can tell you is that when it comes to vignettes, Austria's vignette is a LOT less expensive than CH's. With your 600km and minimal Autobahn limitations, I hope you can find a ride that suits you and your riding partner.
Personally, I would use the Autobahn in the beginning to make time, get to an area that you'd like to explore a bit and then do that. Best of Luck!

T
Do you know how many € does the swiss vignette cost for 1 day? I know that the Austrian one costs 7€.