User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
GratefulKicks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Lincoln, Montana Ride Planning Advice

My extended family owns some land with a primitive cabin (no running water but there is a generator) in the Lincoln, Montana area. I've been out there a bunch to hike and explore and fish, but have never had my bike with me.

Beginning of August a friend and I are trucking our bikes from Vermont to Lincoln. We'll be chilling at the cabin for about a week and are looking for areas to ride. Preferably day trips that we can truck to or ride directly on our bikes to from the cabin. I'm on a ktm 350 and my bud is on a Yamaha WR450....both legally plated in Vermont.

Here in VT we ride basically everything...singletrack, doubletrack, fire roads, Class IV roads, discontinued roads, stream beds, legal trails, snowmobile trails, dirt roads, and minimal pavement to connect it all. Looking for similar type of riding in the Lincoln area, knowing the views will a slightly more expansive than here in Vermont :)

I see all sorts of trails on Google Earth just don't know what we can and can't ride. Pretty sure we can ride in parts of the state forest land, national forest land, and/or BLM land...and not sure which permits we'll need to get in order to do so. Planning to call the powers-that-be but figured ADV is a good place to start.

Land/cabin is very close to the junction of state routes 200 and 279 (Flesher Pass Rd).

Any advice and/or route planning is appreciated. And if you're in the area we'd be cool with meeting up for a ride.
GratefulKicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 999
Try hanging out in the Helena thread. Bunch of riding between Lincoln and Helena and McDonald Pass.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516574

Also the Missoula thread.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407566
Wansfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #3
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,121
Hey...whats up.?.been a little while. You going first week in August.

You have any room in the truck.??.. I will be out there the same week.
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
That's a nice area to explore. I would pick up the topo quad sheets for the areas you're interested and go just explore. Don't know of any current restrictions but suspect on state and Fed lands spark arrestors will be required. Also in Aug most likely campfires or any open flames will be banned.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote