Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #241
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
Since the oil pump is really the heart of the whole thing, replace it. The tolerances are tight, and the scoring means low pressure etc.

Probably the cause of the whole issue was contamination reaching the oil pump, lowering the oil pressure, destroying the bearing.

Dirt coming through the countershaft seal is unlikely, but possible. Remember, the oil behind it is under pressure, and usually pushing out rather than allowing dirt in. Dirt usually comes in through the intake, or the case breather.

Also, remember I'm not a KLR expert. While I've worked on just about everything, I don't know KLR engines as well as others.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #242
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
i dont know if you knew this or not but i used to have a klr and used to off road with it all the time but after test riding the triumph tiger 800xc i quickly got rid of my klr real fast and i do so much better now on my triumph than i ever did on the klr specially in deep sand and it was just as east to pick up as the klr any way cant wait to see how things go when you get her put all back together
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #243
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
i dont know if you knew this or not but i used to have a klr and used to off road with it all the time but after test riding the triumph tiger 800xc i quickly got rid of my klr real fast and i do so much better now on my triumph than i ever did on the klr specially in deep sand and it was just as east to pick up as the klr any way cant wait to see how things go when you get her put all back together
/rant
I don't really want to be a jerk, but I felt I had to say some thing.

A) Punctuation, capitalization and sentence structure were invented for a reason.

B) Is Esther's RR/KLR rebuild thread really the best place for a XC800 commercial? Did Esther ask for suggestions for a replacement and I just missed it?

I guess my message would be to relax and remember your idea of the perfect bike isn't everybody's, and Esther loves her bike. 36k is a long way from worn out (see Parepin's RR if you need confirmation), it just needs a little TLC.

Rock on Esther.
\rant off

Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #244
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
yea my grammer not the greatst and im dog tired and at work i was just merely saying i used to use the same bike she has but im on something different now sorry if i came across like a salesman and i think what she is doing is awsome and i hope she continues her travels like she has been doing
p.s sorry about the grammar lol
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 AM   #245
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
/rant
I don't really want to be a jerk, but I felt I had to say some thing.

A) Punctuation, capitalization and sentence structure were invented for a reason.

B) Is Esther's RR/KLR rebuild thread really the best place for a XC800 commercial? Did Esther ask for suggestions for a replacement and I just missed it?

I guess my message would be to relax and remember your idea of the perfect bike isn't everybody's, and Esther loves her bike. 36k is a long way from worn out (see Parepin's RR if you need confirmation), it just needs a little TLC.

Rock on Esther.
\rant off
Haha Feike, thanks for wanting to help, but Viper (Rowdy) is a friend of mine, so I don't mind. I did look at his Triumph and loved it, I even sat on it and it was very comfy. I don't think I would use the phrase, "just as easy to pick up as the KLR" LOL, the KLR is not easy for me to pick up at all. Hehe!
But you are right in saying that Spirit is kind of my baby, and I would prefer to fix her up rather than get another one.
I am attached to her.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #246
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
yea my grammer not the greatst and im dog tired and at work i was just merely saying i used to use the same bike she has but im on something different now sorry if i came across like a salesman and i think what she is doing is awsome and i hope she continues her travels like she has been doing
p.s sorry about the grammar lol
Hey Rowdy, don't worry about the grammar, I had no problem reading your reply.
How is work by the way? You still have that awful schedule?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #247
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Well, Flex-hones in the proper size would be around $50....
The Autozone in Pickens shows the old stone style glaze breaker for $25 linky

Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #248
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
The Autozone in Pickens shows the old stone style glaze breaker for $25 linky

I guess I'd forgotten about the stone style hones- the only time I use a system like that is attached to a Sunnen hone.

I prefer Flex-hones as they are easier to control the amount of material removed, as well as maintaining as straight bore. They both work, though.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #249
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrtsoutwest View Post
Hey Esther,
We're heading back up to White Pine Lake tomorrow...if you hurry the heck up we'll "save" a campsite( or two) for you.
So when you made it across the Mac bridge we knew we could stop worrying about you...well mostly...way to go! No Wind!
Been putting some thought into your bike lift invention...poor Spirit...oh well at least you weren't stuck under her/him like bear bait. You're covering some ground aren't you? Just remember if the ducks and geese are passing you the cold is right behind you keep heading south! Steve/Nancy&Mike
Hey you guys!
I only just now saw your post! I can't believe I missed it!
How are you? how was your camping this time around?
Did you pull the same trick? Haha, hope you brought a little tent this time.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #250
NomadGal OP
Esther

I think I am experiencing the definition of being in a pickle!
I took a peek at BikeBandit, Cheapcycleparts and Ebay and have discovered to my dismay that buying all the bearings and gaskets costs more than what I currently have in my pocket. Yikes!
Tomorrow my online training for GoalZero starts (thank goodness it is online) after which I find out how soon I have to be at a Costco to represent and sell their product. (Solar travel kits for bikers, snowboarders, hikers etc)
My hosts Steve and Anna are so very gracious and are making me feel welcome and at home, yet at the same time I can't help but feel like a burden to them, I most certainly do not want to overstay my welcome.
So now I really need to figure out how to get Spirit fixed up and make it to whatever town my hands on training is.
I almost started asking for donations when I read the guidelines to posting here, phew! Good thing I did!
Would have gotten my bootie booted out of here if I hadn't.
I wonder if I can cleverly point out that I also have a blog (listed below) at Blogspot, without saying too much more.
Hmmmmmmm.........

Trying it!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #251
rkadair
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hope you get her fix
rkadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #252
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,282
As was mentioned by somebody earlier.....

You can get those very same bearings much cheaper by buying them from a bearing supply house rather than a motorcycle dealer/retailer.

Look up some local bearing suppliers and take the bearings to them and have them matched up. Go ahead and bring in the case halves just like they are....they should be able to see the numbers or measure them like that.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #253
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
As was mentioned by somebody earlier.....

You can get those very same bearings much cheaper by buying them from a bearing supply house rather than a motorcycle dealer/retailer.

Look up some local bearing suppliers and take the bearings to them and have them matched up. Go ahead and bring in the case halves just like they are....they should be able to see the numbers or measure them like that.
+1

I got new rear wheel bearings from an autozone or some equivalent. There are only so many different bearings that get manufactured, and unless it's something very unusual, chances are an industrial bearing supply shop will carry them.

http://www.yellowpages.com/greenville-sc/bearings

I don't know how many of these places sell retail but it's probably worth your while to check!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #254
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
+1

I got new rear wheel bearings from an autozone or some equivalent. There are only so many different bearings that get manufactured, and unless it's something very unusual, chances are an industrial bearing supply shop will carry them.

http://www.yellowpages.com/greenville-sc/bearings

I don't know how many of these places sell retail but it's probably worth your while to check!
Yeah, if they were my wheel bearings I would, but engine bearings....... Hmmmm, too much depends on them.
A wheel I can easily take off and replace the bearing, but I REALLY don't want to do this ever again!

Still I will look around and see if this little town has an industrial bearing supplier nearby.

I also took my cases to a Harley shop to get the bearings pressed out. So tomorrow I can order them or look for them, and know exactly which ones I need.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #255
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Yeah, if they were my wheel bearings I would, but engine bearings....... Hmmmm, too much depends on them.
A wheel I can easily take off and replace the bearing, but I REALLY don't want to do this ever again!

Still I will look around and see if this little town has an industrial bearing supplier nearby.

I also took my cases to a Harley shop to get the bearings pressed out. So tomorrow I can order them or look for them, and know exactly which ones I need.
Quality bearing can be had from many sources- look for bearings from FAG or SKF- both good brands. Just try not to use bearings from China- poor metallurgy means crap bearings; Argentina makes reasonably good bearings, surprisingly.

As for reassembly-remember physics can be your friend. Put said bearings in the freezer for a bit (15 minutes works,an hour or two is good, overnight even better) and heat up the cases with a propane torch or oven to about 200 degrees or so (about what it is when it's running) and the bearing will drop right in with minimal fuss.