User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #256
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
when you get to the wheel bearings.
I prefer sealed ones not the open ones that are stock.

that means adding -2RS to the end

• Rear wheel, sprocket carrier: #6004
  • Rear wheel, sprocket side: #6003
  • Rear wheel, disc side: #6204
  • Front wheel, left side: #6202
  • Front wheel, right side: #6203
http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

6004-2rs ~ $2.00 online

http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/se...al-Ball/Detail
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #257
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
when you get to the wheel bearings.
I prefer sealed ones not the open ones that are stock.

that means adding -2RS to the end

• Rear wheel, sprocket carrier: #6004
  • Rear wheel, sprocket side: #6003
  • Rear wheel, disc side: #6204
  • Front wheel, left side: #6202
  • Front wheel, right side: #6203
http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

6004-2rs ~ $2.00 online

http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/se...al-Ball/Detail
I will keep that in mind whenever my wheel bearings wear out!
Right now I'll be glad to get the engine bearings taken care of!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #258
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Hi Esther
yes i still have the same job working 12 midnight till 8am only cool thing about that schedule is i get to ride 30 miles back to my house during sun rise its quiet beautiful and at night i spend my time on adv reading about motorcycle stuff at my desk but im very disappointed cause i was supposed to do the continental divide this summer about the time you came around cause most of the roads in the mountains are open then but could not cause i could not get the time off they freaked out when i told them i needed 3 weeks off to do it so im looking to change jobs to better suet my being gone for weeks on in riding style lol traveling is so much easier when your not working this is the first job i have had in little over 3 years not counting the army the money i had saved up from when i was deployed would support me traveling all over with out having to get a job but this year money started to get lower than i liked so i had to get a job till i can get more money saved back up and on top of all that we had some one quit at my job so i cant go to the fssnoc rally in spearsville Louisiana
so i take little trips every week but i cant travel very far only have like two days off so im pretty much on a leash right now lol so i take small trips and camp out even now with it being below freezing i still enjoy it but im doing pretty good other than being on a leash lol

MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #259
NomadGal OP
Esther

Yesterday my friend Jeff Dale (GSbiker at ADV), rkadair (ADV), Laura Atkinson and my Mom made a donation into my paypal account it blew me away and almost made me cry... It looked like I would be getting my Spirit back on her wheels again.
Than later in the evening Steven gave me a letter from SWKLR (KLRworld.com) and in it was a check that blew me away as well! I have no words for the amazing generosity bestowed upon me, part of me feels I don't deserve it......
Went to bed knowing that now I had enough to buy most of the parts.
Woke up this morning thinking about Spirit and what all I still had to do to get her running. It was a little overwhelming, and I was hoping that I am not too much of a burden to Steve and his family, because it is looking like it will be a while before the parts come in, and me getting Spirit back in one piece.
Then I got on my laptop and checked my Paypal account because my friend on Kauai told me she would put a few dollars into my account.
Imagine my surprise to find that I had some very generous donations made by :
Limited Slip (KLRworld.com)
Garfey (ADVrider.com)
Trialsguy (KLRworld.com)
Sunday Rider (ADVrider.com)
Thank you sooooo much everyone! I have enough now to buy all the parts I need to get her up and running, I can even do a "honing" now!*
There are no words to express my gratitude, they would all be insufficient.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #260
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
If you have all the bearing #'s (all the bearings should have a number on them, and if not measure the ID, OD and width and post that), post them up so I can help source/price them for you. A buddy has a good supply of bearings in Cali, and a good source for quality bearings. And, he doesn't charge me full price! (and he'll ship 'em quick)

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #261
Hrtsoutwest
n00b

Oddometer: 3
We didn't get up north till about 1pm (planned to leave at 5:30 not 8AM...you know the deal) Wish you could have seen the colors, they were at peak..just amazing. Got to Whitepine but there was a small tent in every site with no other gear & no one there. Hmmm...looked like someone was up to our old trick...how rude lol. Found another campground that was really quiet...saw northern lights one night so pulled out sleeping bags on the ground, but just as we cozied up they stopped. Sorry to read about all the issues with Spirit but I gotta say you've got a lot more moxie than I do when it comes to engines..got a garden tractor with problems & I'm afraid to even look down the spark plug hole. From everything I've read no doubt you'll have her on the road purring like a kitten. Your pictures & posts are great..keep em coming even though you're grounded temporarily...looks like lots of people are thinking about you. P.S. notice the moose avatar? Since you didn't see one...Steve Nancy & Mike
Hrtsoutwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #262
NomadGal OP
Esther

Thanks PaddyGFW
You know why!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #263
NomadGal OP
Esther

Ran into a glitch!
I had a lot of people suggesting that I get the bearings from a dealer, or place that just carries bearings.
Well, that plan backfired!
The three main bearings no one carries, or can even find them in the system. They are all the TM bearings (three of them) The Koyo, NSK, and NTN bearings most places carry.
Has anyone ever found the the bigger ones at a regular bearing place? If so, I would like to know which bearing part number they have on them if you still have the paperwork.
It is not really feasible for me to go to a bearing place because I have no means of transportation, and I don't wish to burden my hosts overly much

Old 10-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #264
NomadGal OP
Esther

Thank you so much Robert Bien, Alex (Parepin) and Rob Liner.
I don't really know everyone's user ID so hopefully you don't mind me mentioning your real names.
If you do please PM me and I will take them off.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #265
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hopefully there is a adventure rider near you that can give you a ride. Most bearing shops can match up the bearing if you can bring them in. Everyone has a favorite bearing and mine is SKF. The industry I worked in for 41 years used them and were great bearings. I think they were Swedish made but are popular in the US and Canada.
Good Luck
My wife and I are rooting for you
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #266
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Get well soon!

My hopes are for Spirit to get well soon so that your trip can continue. I love reading your RR and so I'm cheering for you to find those parts. All the best to you in this mostly "un-fun" part of your adventure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a good outcome so soon you'll be on your way again!

Good luck!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #267
NomadGal OP
Esther

Going to Greenville tomorrow and taking the bearings with me.
Anna's mom is giving me a ride there
Old 10-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #268
NomadGal OP
Esther

Struck out three times today!
No one carries, or can even cross reference three of the engine's bearings. Those three are all flanged, and no one here makes them, they are Japan specific!
Also one of the bearing places gave me a quote on the bearings they did have that matched, and they were way more than BikeBandit's prices. The guy that helped me, Larry, was very sweet and helpful, he even call NTN bearings to find out what bearings I could possible use to replace the original ones.
Sooooooo, no luck on the bearings, I am going to have to order them.
I also stopped by a motorcycle repair shop, and he told me that my problem might be inside my crankshaft. He showed me a picture of one taken apart, and pointed out the weak spot in it that needs to be fully lubricated at all times, and if your oil ever gets too low, this would be the first thing to bite the dust. He also showed me the flow of the oil, and basically the little parts would head straight to the oil pump, and then into the bearings.
So now I am going to check if the piston arm shows any kind of wobble.
The thing is, if it is that part, even to replace the small part of the crankshaft is pricey, so here I go, looking at ebay just in case.
Hopefully the guy at the Harley shop might be able to tell me what the crankshaft's condition is.
On another note, learned something today....
He said he wasn't surprised that I found dirt on the other side of the oil bearing where the sprocket to the chain goes. Normally this area stays clean because of the oil pressure going outward, but he knew of people that like to pressure wash their bikes, and some of them ran into that same problem, namely getting dirt in their oil and ruining that bearing. So Jim! I know you like to pressure wash your bike too*
Hopefully anyone reading this that ends up having to replace bearings can learn from me. Chances are that the 3 bigger flanged bearings are not to be found in the US.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #269
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
Are you looking for these ?

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-92045-1187.html?gclid=CIDwldKQ_LICFeV7Qgod8kkAuA
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #270
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
hey is it possable to pull those out of another klr of same year ? if you could find another one
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote