Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #61
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
If we are going to get into home built boats ......

Then a new house needing much work threw a wrench in the works and here she sits waiting for me to finish....

This is fascinating.

All marine grade plywood?

How are the hull sections attached to the ribs? Nails, screws, glued or a combination? Did you have to steam pieces to bend them to fit?

What's the overall length and how's this boat going to be finished?
Hardware02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #62
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 727
In and around Seward, AK.

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #63
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,660
Very cool, Chacha. I knew you worked on the water and on the machinery side but didn't know specifics.

How do you like your job?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #64
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Some older pictures of boats and ships in the port of Antwerp. I think I took these in 2003 and 2004

- FB: www.facebook.com/peter.perdaen
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/1150GSPEP/videos
GSPeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #65
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,345
Perfect for that special "500 kilos they never saw coming" trip to Los Estados Unidos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
12 years in the making, he put it in the water at last!

More info here! Euronaut
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #66
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
This is fascinating.

All marine grade plywood? Hull is 3/8's marine plywood and the deck is 6mm okoume plywood. The ribs are 3/4" ACX plywood with the all footballs and voids filled and carefully sealed with epoxy. The chine, sheer and keel strips are all douglas fir. She will be a hard working fishing and casting boat as well as a little runabout so nothing fancy or expensive was used. Well I am using very pricey 18mm okuome for the seats and a couple of bits to be finished with varnish.

How are the hull sections attached to the ribs? Nails, screws, glued or a combination? Did you have to steam pieces to bend them to fit? The hull panels are epoxy glued to the ribs. There are enough screws to hold the whole mess together wile it was being glued. Major panel seams are epoxy and fiberglass tape fillets. It is a bit of overkill. But this will be a hard used saltwater boat. I have broken fiberglass boats and don't care to do it again.

What's the overall length and how's this boat going to be finished? Overall length is about 15'. I specifically did this hull so I could fit the entire thing into four sheets of plywood. The interior was sealed and then painted with Bilgekote. The outside will be glassed with either 4 oz or 6 oz cloth (I can't remember what is in the box now) and epoxy then painted.

I will likely varnish the seats and some other bits. But the majority of the boat will be relatively maintenace free. I think the final arrangement will be a tiller steered outboard. I will probably cut the deck one station further forward and wrap raised sheer clamps around to meet in the center to be more of an open boat for fishing. But I have really decided yet.

The original hull offsets are off Sunbeam from Edwin Monk's How to Build Wooden Boats. Like I said, I picked it because I could fit the hull onto four sheets of plywood. Plus it looked like it would work with plywood construction.

So I build a hull jig from cheap particle board using Edwin Monk's table of offsets. Then I cut and bent cheap luan plywood to fit the jig. I made a few adjustments because plywood won't bend in two directions like dimensional lumber.

Once I knew it would all work together I figured out which stations needed to be actual ribs. I cut those whole out of ACX and reframed the the hull. Then I used the luan panels to cut the hull panels from scarfed together sheets of 3/8's marine plywood.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #67
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Very cool, Chacha. I knew you worked on the water and on the machinery side but didn't know specifics.

How do you like your job?

I really love it. There are days when in it sucks and I have to sacrifice some things because of having to be gone a lot but the benefits certainly make up for it.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #68
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha View Post
I really love it. There are days when in it sucks and I have to sacrifice some things because of having to be gone a lot but the benefits certainly make up for it.
Are you military or civilian?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #69
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,702
I'm civilian but the boat I am on is contracted to the Navy. The company I work for is mainly in the offshore oilfield supply business but they have a few government contracts.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #70
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha View Post
I'm civilian but the boat I am on is contracted to the Navy. The company I work for is mainly in the offshore oilfield supply business but they have a few government contracts.
Makes sense! I looked up your ship's name and saw something about the Navy. I'm pretty happy with my home-on-weeknights/weekends work gig but a job like yours seems like a nice change!

I'll PM you for more info.

Stay safe!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #71
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,364
ive worked on boats all my life. started on ny tugs as a kid. now am a docking pilot in the port of ny/nj and pilot and dock everything from the new queen mary to the 1,200' long, 150' wide post panamax container ships.
oddly i dont own a boat for recreation and do not desire one. lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #72
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The original hull offsets are off Sunbeam from Edwin Monk's How to Build Wooden Boats. Like I said, I picked it because I could fit the hull onto four sheets of plywood. Plus it looked like it would work with plywood construction.

So I build a hull jig from cheap particle board using Edwin Monk's table of offsets. Then I cut and bent cheap luan plywood to fit the jig. I made a few adjustments because plywood won't bend in two directions like dimensional lumber.

Once I knew it would all work together I figured out which stations needed to be actual ribs. I cut those whole out of ACX and reframed the the hull. Then I used the luan panels to cut the hull panels from scarfed together sheets of 3/8's marine plywood.

Wow! Thanks for the reply!!!

Please keep us updated on this build! :respect:
Hardware02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #73
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
ive worked on boats all my life. started on ny tugs as a kid. now am a docking pilot in the port of ny/nj and pilot and dock everything from the new queen mary to the 1,200' long, 150' wide post panamax container ships.
oddly i dont own a boat for recreation and do not desire one. lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
That is a cool job - respect!

My family has been/was in the shipping business for a couple of generations and I worked with APL for about 10 years early in my career. Prior to that, while in college I caught a ride on a container ship from Charleston to Rotterdam.

It was a great few weeks - during the day I slept and spent some time helping the crew when i felt like it. At night I ate with the officers. Then I went drinking with the crew. Then really late/early morning I would go to the bridge and hang with the junior officer and learn how to use the instruments.

Was a great experience, a long time ago.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #74
borg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123

A little bump.

This is where my summer project sits as of this week. I was hoping to be in the water by now but it will most likely be an October launch.
borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #75
Stromrider 1583
Republican Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
My Sabre 42 Express
Built in Maine 2008, two 5.9L Cummins QSB 425's, Zeus Drives. 27 knot cruise (31 MPH), 34 knot top (40 MPH)

New toy, I built a Glen-L Dynomite 11ft runabout ... 15HP Merc and a ton of fun

Sailboat is a 1975 Catalina 30, Hull #10 ... New sails from Island Planet (shameless plug)
Stromrider 1583 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: