User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #16
Buckeye67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Silver wing

I have a silver wing, loce it in the city and highway....if you want to boost comfort, try the air halk , I think that is the name, not at home now...it is a blow up seat you can add to any cycle, used it when I traveled cross country and to Alaska on a previously owned cycle....really nice, well built.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
Gabby1951
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thumb I vote for the Silver Wing!

I've only been riding 7 years, and have owned a Silver Wing for most of that time. DB (the hubby) and I have made numerous long trips, from central Arkansas to east Tennessee (within spittin' distance of North Carolina), central Iowa and Grand Rapids, Michigan, on our bikes (yes, Margaret, girls do own bikes), Even with back and joint problems stemming from a skydiving accident in 1970 and my...ummmmm...advanced years, I've never had a problem on my SWing. I'm vertically challenged (5'5") an DB is not at 6'1", but the Silver Wing is comfortable for both of us. The adjustable butt rest makes the difference...full forward for me and full back for him...plenty of leg room. There's enough underseat storage for weekend trips and, for longer trips, we mount our large Kuryakyn Ultra Tour bags on the passenger seats. Our bikes are stock except for the Givi windshields, which are a necessity. With the stock windshield, the air constantly buffeted my head, resulting in massive headache. No such problem with the Givi. The Givi windshields can be found at www.giviusa.com. We also have the Givi saddle bags, purchased before the Kuryakyn bags.

There's a lot of padding on the stock seat...very comfortable. I noticed in an earlier post that someone referred to seat pads. They're at www.airhawk.net, for those interested.

We've done a lot of interstate miles, but really prefer the two-lane back roads. Here in Arkansas, we have what are referred to as Scenic Routes (i.e., lots of curves) Highways 5, 7 and 9...they are so much fun!! And the SWings handle the curves beautifully. If you're concerned about speed, I've had my baby up to 110 mph, with room still left on the throttle, We've been happy with the mileage, averaging between 50-55 mpg, as long as we keep speed at 70 or lower. Mileage drops to around 45-48 mpg at speeds in excess of 75 mph. The reports of lower mileage have surprised me.

That's my $.02 worth...YMMV.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
There are several points about a touring scooter that no one has mentioned. When traveling there are 5 things that are required for comfort; comfortable seat, leg room, low cruising RPM's, good weather protection and a quiet exhaust. Although I have a 400 Burgman and tour on it, it turns too many RPM's when going over 70 mph indicated. The Silverwing turns fewer RPM's but does not have as good weather protection as the 400. The 650 Burgman turns fewer RPM's than either and is much better suited to touring than either by far. The only penalty is a little weight, but that will not be noticed when touring and the electric windshield of the Executive is really a nice feature.
If your idea of touring is a 400 mile round trip then any of the Maxi scooters will do, but if it is 500+ mile days like me then the 650 Burgman is really the only choice.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
There are several points about a touring scooter that no one has mentioned. When traveling there are 5 things that are required for comfort; comfortable seat, leg room, low cruising RPM's, good weather protection and a quiet exhaust. Although I have a 400 Burgman and tour on it, it turns too many RPM's when going over 70 mph indicated. The Silverwing turns fewer RPM's but does not have as good weather protection as the 400. The 650 Burgman turns fewer RPM's than either and is much better suited to touring than either by far. The only penalty is a little weight, but that will not be noticed when touring and the electric windshield of the Executive is really a nice feature.
If your idea of touring is a 400 mile round trip then any of the Maxi scooters will do, but if it is 500+ mile days like me then the 650 Burgman is really the only choice.

BMW has a new 650 scooter out that looks like an excellent choice.

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...ter-first-ride

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #20
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
very good info! 650 burgman might be top of my list then for next year. good to know about weather protection difference.

Unless I trade in my current scooter for a different one its very likely that my tour scooter will 90% of the time ride for about 200 yards to the freeway entry and then leave the city behind, the other 10% of the time will be when the other scooter is in the shop
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
Bama Gringo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
dont worry about the rpms. just use good oil and let it spin! these engine are made to spin fast. they spin their little brains out! LOL. just keep it under 7000 rpms and u will be fine.

my v strom turns 6000 rpms at 80mph

my majesty turns about the same.

let em spin!
Bama Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #22
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
Burgman vs Silver Wing

The 650 Burgman has a maintenance free final drive chain and the SW needs its belt changed every 10,000 miles.
The Burgman valve clearance is supposed to be checked every 14,000 miles, the SW every 8,000.
The Burgman needs an oil change every 6,000 miles, the SW every 4,000.
The Burgman has a silly name the Silver Wing doesn't.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #23
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Now that we know the BMW scooters will be priced in the same neighborhood as the Burgman, they'll deserve a look when they get here about 7 weeks. One nice thing about the BMW touring model...all the touring farkles are made specifically for the scoot by BMW.

I know...bmw farkles can be expensive. But the bike itself won't be too much more than the Burgman, and having heated grips, built-in mounts for gps, side bags, etc. is pretty attractive.

I sat on one at the motorcycle show, but sitting on a bike isn't enough. I'd need to test ride it to know if it would be a good choice for me. Some things aren't apparent until you've been riding for an hour or so. So the jury is out on the comfort factor.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #24
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
The 650 Burgman has a maintenance free final drive chain and the SW needs its belt changed every 10,000 miles.
The Burgman valve clearance is supposed to be checked every 14,000 miles, the SW every 8,000.
The Burgman needs an oil change every 6,000 miles, the SW every 4,000.
The Burgman has a silly name the Silver Wing doesn't.
The belt replacement is my main gripe with the Silverwing.

The Burgman requires the entire thing to be taken apart for valve adjustments, the SW isn't nearly as bad. Also, the Silverwing is known for not needing valve adjustments. People regularly go 40000+ miles between adjustments on the Silverwing forums, and the "adjustments" usually turn into checks, because the valves are still in-spec. The Burger is another story entirely, the valves get out of whack more easily. I mean, LOOK at this process: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13460 Good god, that's fucking awful. The Silverwing has shims, which is why it doesn't really ever need adjusted.

Also, the Burger wants new oil every 3500 miles. Transmission and final gear are every 7000 miles: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...MEk5Qay0hCnXUA

Don't get me wrong, I love the Burger. If the big Burger 650 had shims and didn't suck so hard with maintenance, I would have bought one instead of a Silverwing last weekend.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
I forgot about this string. I just got back on a houston to austin trip on a sportcity. If I become unlazy I will do a day tour ride report.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,346
Whatever you get, make sure you can do something with the seat. My Majesty has a terribly uncomfortable seat and there are not very inexpensive options for fixing it. My Honda and BMW motorcycles both needed seat upgrades...so I hold little faith in stock seats.

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #27
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
As much as I like the Kymco 700, I just can't see paying $10,000 because they slapped some BMW stickers on it...

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerMacGreed View Post
As much as I like the Kymco 700, I just can't see paying $10,000 because they slapped some BMW stickers on it...
Please feel free not to buy one. As one of my friends says, there's a butt for every saddle, and your simplistic generalization notwithstanding, there will be and already are buyers waiting for the new BMW scooters.

I'm not sure I'll be one of them right now, as I'm pretty happy with my current scooters, but I'm always glad when another manufacturer gets into the scooter business and gives buyers another option. I hope that BMW will push the limits of what is available for scooters in the coming years, both in terms of technology and made-for-touring accessories.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #29
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
I'm not sure I'll be one of them right now, as I'm pretty happy with my current scooters, but I'm always glad when another manufacturer gets into the scooter business and gives buyers another option.
Ditto, I'm not a maxiscoot kind of person but I'm always happy to see another reputable company entering (or in this case re-entering) the market. The BMW C1 scooter always makes me smile though it isn't one I'd want to own.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #30
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
The belt replacement is my main gripe with the Silverwing.

The Burgman requires the entire thing to be taken apart for valve adjustments, the SW isn't nearly as bad. Also, the Silverwing is known for not needing valve adjustments. People regularly go 40000+ miles between adjustments on the Silverwing forums, and the "adjustments" usually turn into checks, because the valves are still in-spec. The Burger is another story entirely, the valves get out of whack more easily. I mean, LOOK at this process: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13460 Good god, that's fucking awful. The Silverwing has shims, which is why it doesn't really ever need adjusted.

Also, the Burger wants new oil every 3500 miles. Transmission and final gear are every 7000 miles: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...MEk5Qay0hCnXUA

Don't get me wrong, I love the Burger. If the big Burger 650 had shims and didn't suck so hard with maintenance, I would have bought one instead of a Silverwing last weekend.
Hay Maddiedog
a little update on your Burgman info.
The 650 Burgman is shim under bucket and I don't know of anyone that has had to pull their cam to add or subtract shims.
The older 400 Burgman is the bike in your link. I believe the newer 2007 and up 400 is now shim under bucket as well.
My 650 is right at 30,000 miles with no failures of any type.
L/O/F at about 5000 miles with full synthetic on mine.
Front brake pads at 20k, and rear at 30k miles.
Runs great.
Good news, the SW is a great bike and you will love it.
So what days can you do a No GA scooter run?
thanks

Sent from my Trash 80 on 300 baud dial up.
GeeGusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote