User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #31
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I consider myself a cheap SOB.

Having said that when I went looking for a scooter to replace the 2001 Ultra Glide that my back and hips could no longer tolerate climbing onto I had the chance to ride a 2006 SW - so I took it. I had previously rode a 2008 Burgman 650 Exec. The one thats in my garage right now. While I liked the looks of the SW I wasn't impressed with the room - foot and butt. And the SW has a bit of a buzz (vibrations) to it. The Burgman has lots of whirring noises going on inside the belts and gears. The Burgman doesn't have the most comfortable saddle -- and foot room is also rather limited but the Burgman has more zip (important for me - maybe not for you) and is very smooth. I could have gotten the SW (5500 miles) for $3650 - the owners wanted to be rid of it. I nearly bit but kept remembering the feel (speed) and handling of that Burgman from the week previous. Both machines were in similar condition - nearly flawless. From 10' they both looked new - but the Burgman just felt 'right' for me. I'm sure the SW would have been an excellent choice - but I went back and bought the Burgman - got it for $5000 out the door with 8 miles shy of 4000 on the clock.

They do handle different - they feel different. The Burgman has more buttons - if you like buttons you'll like the Burgman. I've put about 2500 miles on the Burgman already - in the last two years I owned the Harley I rode it almost 1500 miles - and put a new drive belt and alternator on it - and new headpipes. That amounts to about $.80 a mile IIRC! I've put 3 tanks of gas in my SUV since I brought the Burgman home - I usually go through about 2 tanks per month. The difference the Burgman has made (and the SW would have also made) is I'm riding almost daily - to the store - the golf course - to visit friends/family. I've got a Kuriaken dog palace and take my little buddy with me! I've been riding for 47 years and almost gave up riding entirely because of back and hip pain. Now that I've got a scooter and I can step through the bike instead of throwing a leg over it I can see me riding for many more years.

In the end its your choice - if a local dealer hadn't had that Burgman on consignment I'd probably be riding a SW - and extolling the virtues of it instead - and be $1000 ahead! Both are very good scooters and will cart your ass down the road fast and effortlessly. And they are fun.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #32
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
The belt replacement is my main gripe with the Silverwing.

The Burgman requires the entire thing to be taken apart for valve adjustments, the SW isn't nearly as bad. Also, the Silverwing is known for not needing valve adjustments. People regularly go 40000+ miles between adjustments on the Silverwing forums, and the "adjustments" usually turn into checks, because the valves are still in-spec. The Burger is another story entirely, the valves get out of whack more easily. I mean, LOOK at this process: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13460 Good god, that's fucking awful. The Silverwing has shims, which is why it doesn't really ever need adjusted.

Also, the Burger wants new oil every 3500 miles. Transmission and final gear are every 7000 miles: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...MEk5Qay0hCnXUA

Don't get me wrong, I love the Burger. If the big Burger 650 had shims and didn't suck so hard with maintenance, I would have bought one instead of a Silverwing last weekend.
I think those kinds of maintenance issues are very important if you are going to ride a lot. They are also the aspects of ownership most overlooked by professional reviewers who focus on horsepower and sex appeal. Asking owners to evaluate the mechanical needs of their rides would be far more interesting to me. For instance I appreciate the point about shims as my Bonneville has them and now I have a couple of valves that need actual adjustments after 36,000 miles of no change at all. However changing shims on a double overhead camshaft engine is outside my comfort zone. Is that better than 6,000 mile valve checks on a screw adjuster tappet? You decide! But only if the issue is brought up for your consideration...

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #33
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
I think those kinds of maintenance issues are very important if you are going to ride a lot. They are also the aspects of ownership most overlooked by professional reviewers who focus on horsepower and sex appeal. Asking owners to evaluate the mechanical needs of their rides would be far more interesting to me. For instance I appreciate the point about shims as my Bonneville has them and now I have a couple of valves that need actual adjustments after 36,000 miles of no change at all. However changing shims on a double overhead camshaft engine is outside my comfort zone. Is that better than 6,000 mile valve checks on a screw adjuster tappet? You decide! But only if the issue is brought up for your consideration...
intresting read this is.

I like them both, currently I lean toward the silverwing. What I have been surprised to find though when trolling around the internet for 'best touring scooter' is that the results are all over the map. One site will put Silverwing as best, another will put it at 10th with Kimco and MP3 being 1st and 2nd. Its so confusing.

The reason I am currently 'feeling' the silverwing is that in the show room it felt a little more 'city freindly' even though my maxi scooter purchase is not for city its still a factor.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #34
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeGusKahn View Post
Hay Maddiedog
a little update on your Burgman info.
The 650 Burgman is shim under bucket and I don't know of anyone that has had to pull their cam to add or subtract shims.
The older 400 Burgman is the bike in your link. I believe the newer 2007 and up 400 is now shim under bucket as well.
My 650 is right at 30,000 miles with no failures of any type.
L/O/F at about 5000 miles with full synthetic on mine.
Front brake pads at 20k, and rear at 30k miles.
Runs great.
Good news, the SW is a great bike and you will love it.
So what days can you do a No GA scooter run?
thanks
That's good info to know, I did not know they'd changed the valve types. That should make maintenace a bit more hassle-free.

I've seen pics of your bike from posts Klaviator posted, nice Burgman. Lotsa high-vis there. I'm sure our paths will cross sometime on a N GA ride. I'm always down for a mountain run if I'm not already riding somewhere else that weekend.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #35
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
It all depends on what you value for priority.

If one wants to use slip-over saddlebags or strap luggage on top of the pillion seat -- one can do that with the Yamaha Majesty and still have access to the under-seat storage without interference.

If one wants twin yoke steering and forward-mounted engine, the ones to choose between are Tmax, Burgman 650, and the BMW offerings.

Tmax down to the alloy

BMW C600 Sport, (which is actually 647cc)