User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Tin Bender OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
" i want pikchers...."

Hey, just wondering what some of you inmates are doing capturing "On the Road" images. After several long motocamping trips, I find myself wondering if there isn't an easier way??

For instance, last Oct. making the run from Grand Cyn. to Zion were numerous photo ops. Likewise the ride down Utah 128 following the Colorado River into Moab, seemed like every hundred yards was a Kodak moment.

Presently my procedure follows this format....
1) Stop motorcycle, kill engine
2) Kick stand down
3) Visor up, Remove gloves
4) Open tank bag
5) Remove camera, remove lens cap
6) Compose shot, shoot photo
7) Reverse steps 1 thru 5
8) Start motorcycle, resume riding

Kinda' frustrating to go thru this rigamarole every time I want a pic.

I'm wondering/thinking about maybe a decent 'point n' shoot' digital with good jitter/motion control with a camera mount to the bars or behind the fairing (Beemer RT) that could be easily triggered with only the left hand still in gloves?? Something the would allow me to shoot on the fly, using something like the misc. Tech Mounts for the camera.

Was looking at the Go-Pros, but not sure if it can shoot single, indiviual shots. From what I interpet, it will do a 5 shot burst, but not singles.(???)

Can anyone enlighten me about this?? Any idea or suggestions??

Lemme' know....

Thanks in advance,
Tin Bender
Tin Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Get a smartphone with a decent camera (I used my N95 and N97mini A LOT) or a waterproof/shockproof point and shoot like the Olympus Tough, Canon Powershot D-10, etc.

I keep my DSLR camera for when Im "On location" and use the cellphone or Point and shoot for "on road"...

you can use a gorilapod

or an ad-hoc motorcycle camera support to keep it in place...
Old 07-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I let my wife on the back take the pics.

Prior to that I just kept a point and shoot in the tankbag and shoot while riding using the left hand. Assuming the sun is out the shutter is fast enough that the majority of pictures are clear.

You may want to invest in a gear keeper so when you drop the camera (you will) it's not lost. Also take your glove with you when you try out cameras to make sure you can operate it one handed with gloves.

IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Oh, one other thing if you take a second camera for off the bike shots, or better shots on the roadside, make sure you sync the time on both cameras so when you dump them all in one folder they are easy to sort by order the shot was taken. We always have two cameras with us so when we get home and make ride reports it's easy to keep things in order.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
johnnyadventurepants
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Oh, one other thing if you take a second camera for off the bike shots, or better shots on the roadside, make sure you sync the time on both cameras so when you dump them all in one folder they are easy to sort by order the shot was taken. We always have two cameras with us so when we get home and make ride reports it's easy to keep things in order.

Excellent tip. I've had to deal with this and it's not fun.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I have the Gopro HD attached to the top of my helmet. Just point and shoot. Takes great pictures. You can take single shots, triple shots, video, timer for every set number of seconds, and one other thing I can' remember. They also have now a wifi set up so you can get live feed on your smart phone and have your camera button on your wrist for easier picture taking. With that set up you can have up to 50 camera's so you can attached one to your helmet, and more else where. how I've made it this far without one beats me I love it on the bike.
roadtrip22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,938
A major limitation of the GoPro HD is that it is fixed at VERY wide angle. OK for some stuff, but I would hate to be limited to that lens for all my shooting.

Taking a couple of minutes to take a picture should not be considered an ordeal, consider it a needed break from riding or a chance to actually appreciate the scenery instead of just a "drive by shooting".

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
I'm a drive-by guy. I put my camera on a break away lanyard that is short enough to not hit my tank. Tuck it into my jacket when not needed and when I do, i can do it all with my left hand while riding by or quickly when stopped. No need to take off gloves or shut off the bike. Still, i take few pictures. The GoPro deal sounds like the way to go.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
I'm a drive-by guy. I put my camera on a break away lanyard that is short enough to not hit my tank. Tuck it into my jacket when not needed and when I do, i can do it all with my left hand while riding by or quickly when stopped. No need to take off gloves or shut off the bike. Still, i take few pictures. The GoPro deal sounds like the way to go.

^What he said. I use a neck lanyard from a sports store and attach the camera to that. I think they are a whistle strap for coaches. Anyway, I tuck the camera in a pocket on the jacket, or sometimes just lay it on top of the tankbag if the road isnt too rough, then you can just grab it and snap away.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
^What he said. I use a neck lanyard from a sports store and attach the camera to that. I think they are a whistle strap for coaches. Anyway, I tuck the camera in a pocket on the jacket, or sometimes just lay it on top of the tankbag if the road isnt too rough, then you can just grab it and snap away.
Same here. I use a cheaper point n shoot - only 3megapix. Most of these cameras have flush or recessed buttons for on/off and shutter which prohibit the use of gloves. I adhered a dab of JB weld on the center of both buttons so I have a nice tall bump that stands high enough that I can use it easily with gloves. In fact, now I can feel the buttons with my gloves on and can turn on the camera, shoot, and turn it off without looking.
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
LX5 Panasonic

I've been using the Panasonic LX3 for "from the cockpit" shots now for more than three years. In the meantime it has been upgraded to the LX5 model which has a little more telephoto reach but retains the 24mm angle of view (35mm equivalent) and f/2 maximum aperture.

This camera has several advantages for shooting from a motorcycle compared to most of the Canons and other point-and-shoots I've owned.

Firstly, it has a sliding on/off switch on the top plate that can be easily worked while wearing gloves. Secondly, the shutter release button is larger than the ones on most P&S cameras, making it easy to press wearing gloves. Thirdly, the wide angle of view and fast aperture combine to produce images that have a "feel" of being on the motorcycle that slower or less wide angle lenses don't have. Fourthly, it's a Leica-designed lens, so image quality is very nice... saturated, contrasty and crisp.

When I'm using mine I hang the camera strap around my neck and hold it with my left hand to shoot, leaving the right hand free for throttle control. I added a Lensmate filter adapter that screws in around the lens collar so I won't accidentally damage the retracting lens mechanism while holding the camera on the bike.

A good percentage of the images in my motorcycling guide book for Alabama were done with this camera and most people who've seen the book assume they were done with a DSLR.

LX5 - about $350 these days:

Photo showing how I hold the camera on the bike with the Lensmate adapter attached:

Lensmate adapter with UV filter to protect lens on my LX3:

Photo made with my LX3 from the bike:

GSBS screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 04:37 AM
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,463
My camera is easier to use upside down. Thumb works power switch and shutter release.

I turn the dial to "review" before tucking it back in my pocket so the lens won't extend inside the pocket.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
rick3foxes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Your process sounds painfully similar to what I just went through on my trip. It seemed like every time I went around a turn, the scenery was better than the photo I just shot.

I took photos with my cell phone just because I could post them quickly to my blog for the folks back home.

Now that I 'm back home and wading through the hundreds of video files from the Gopro Hero2 HD, I wish I had relied more on the GoPro and less on the stills. The videos (1080p) have such a greater ability to "put you into the trip" than the stills do. I used the "normal" zoom setting instead of the wide angle.

Bottom line is that I underestimated the quality of the video, and for display on a HD monitor, I think a frame grab would be acceptable for stills.

BTW, the Hero2 HD will shoot single stills, sequences, time-lapse, video, etc.

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost

rick3foxes screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 07:32 AM
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
Tin Bender OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
GSBS,

I like that idea, for a coupla' reasons.

As you mentioned, the larger shutter button and the sliding power switch address the golved hand problem. The other is I'm now using a Panasonic DMC-FZ100K, one of the so called "Super Zooms". That means I can use the same factory software package plus all of the Panasonic cameras according to the camera testing forums have one of the best anti-jitter or camera shake features. As much as I like all that it can do, single left one handed operation is damn near impossible.

I'll have to look into the LX-3 and -5. Thanks for your input. Just what I need...more gadgets!!

Thanks to all for your input, gave me some great idea.
Tin Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Ive been using a Nikon Coolpix that an Ex gf bought me a few years ago. have a length of 550 cord attached to it which is then attatched to the handlebars. works pretty good.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote