User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Rockmuncher OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Bike Cover

OK, you're all packed up for your Alaska trip and probably have too much crap already. Do you throw in a bike cover thinking, out of sight, out of mind, or leave it at home?
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,816
I believe the out-of-sight-out-of-mind theory, but I don't have any evidence to back it up. Maybe it works, and maybe it doesn't. I believe it will probably keep kids from climbing on your bike. It will probably keep adults from sitting on your bike, or messing with it out of curiosity. It might deter an opportunistic thief. I probably won't deter a determined thief.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
lightcycle
Nomad

Oddometer: 502
1 more vote for OOS-OOM.

Plus, it saves time wiping down the dew/frost most cold mornings!

Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Do you throw in a bike cover thinking, out of sight, out of mind
Most definitely yes. Anything that will make the thief´s work even a bit harder will affect the chances, that the thief will go somewhere else, and leave your bike alone.

The occasional crackheads, that are just looking for anything to steal, you can prevent with a sturdy disc lock (also recommended), and professionals use vans to lift your bike inside, the disc lock is no use against those guys. But most likely even the pros will have to approach your bike first, to simply lift the cover, and have a look what´s inside, (because they don´t just drive around to find something to steal, they´re looking for some specific bike types or models). They don´t like the idea to have to come near your bike, before they can make the decision to steal it or leave it.

Exactly where you park the bike for the night is also important, when thinking about how to keep the pro guys away. How easy is it to drive a van next to your bike? That´s why keeping it on a street, or on a public parking hall is not a good idea, if you can avoid doing so.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 422
Yes. Not a bike specific cover but the more utilitarian tarp. Tarps can be quite versatile on the road & trail. Tarps can protect more than the bike and I've even used them for patching materail when in a bind.

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
misterjack
Universal

Oddometer: 51
Laugh bike cover

wouldnt hurt
misterjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

I believe Pecha72 is right about the importance of where to park your bike. If staying in a hotel, see if you can't park it under the portico in front of the office. It's usually well-lit and often the drive is wide enough that you're not blocking traffic. Ask the night guy to keep an eye on your bike, too.

I worked the night shift in hotels for a lot of years, and I'd often have bikers ask me if they could park under the portico, and also watch their bikes. I was always glad to do it.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
This is interesting, I've traveled 100's of thousands of miles and never covered a bike. Just scrape/wipe the frost/dew off. As for as theft, I just thought they only stole HD’s and sport bikes. Never had a bike messed with in all my years. I do carry a tarp, for roadside repairs and whatever. From reading all the post maybe I should cover it, there are some interesting replies. My friend with a HD covers it with a Honda cover so people won’t steal it,.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" is how you end up with a motorcycle that weighs more than a car.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
This is interesting, I've traveled 100's of thousands of miles and never covered a bike. Just scrape/wipe the frost/dew off. As for as theft, I just thought they only stole HD’s and sport bikes. Never had a bike messed with in all my years.
We're all just hedging our bets against an unlikely outcome. But it's a simple thing to do, to cover my bike every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
My friend with a HD covers it with a Honda cover so people won’t steal it,.

Now that's funny!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Oh just use a tarp? Never thought of that. I use a tarp as my tent foot print. So its on the bike anyways. No need to carry a tarp and a bike cover.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Oh just use a tarp? Never thought of that. I use a tarp as my tent foot print. So its on the bike anyways. No need to carry a tarp and a bike cover.
A tarp with grommets works well, also. A couple of bungee cords will keep the tarp from flying off in a wind.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Rockmuncher OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
The extra weight of a cover is minuscule. It's already a land barge and fits my needs as such. If I was doing actual off road riding rather than muddy road riding it would be different. Think the cover will come along next time.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Go with the cover!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRW9751 View Post
Go with the cover!
That's good advice for one-night-stands, also.