Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #46
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
because I got a really cool tinfoil hat to wear when I bought mine, and the borscht flavored Koolaid is delicious, I love my Ural, "it's the best hack rig in the world, it's the best hack rig in the world"......
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #47
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
how many bikes owned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Can I ask a serious question? How many of you Ural owners have owned a different make/model of outfit?
9 different bikes other than the Ural over 3 decades.

With one exception (current 2006 Honda ST) they have all had mechanical issues over the life span of ownership/kms, the BMW K100RS was the worst (left me stranded on 3 different multi week trips) and most expensive to repair with limited dealer network and very high parts prices.

PS. I also like my tinfoil hat.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.

Montague screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 07:56 AM
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #48
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
I do think that BMW rely on past glories and the power of advertising
Old 07-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #49
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Quote:
I do think that BMW rely on past glories and the power of advertising
Yep, although I loved the old German girl, when downtime repairs became too much and it was time to replace, although I did cruise the BMW showrooms, I could not justify the price/technology equation compared to Japanese makes.

There was a time when BMW was one of if not the best but in the last decade they have become very expensive for so-so technology, poor and expensive service and generally yuppification of the brand.

I bought my ST which is a beautiful and advanced bike if slightly lacking in personality for about $8K less than the current K bikes.

Plus the switch by BMW to fewer but combined dealerships was the final straw.

Haven't needed it yet, but I can get a part or have it sent to any of thousands of Honda dealerships in North America quickly, but if you ride a BMW away from the Yuppie citadels of big cities, good luck.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #50
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,002
Quote:
Can I ask a serious question? How many of you Ural owners have owned a different make/model of outfit?
Its not bikes he's asking, its sidecar rigs?

I too have to wonder if the folks that rave about these have ever had a proper set up custom?
Partcualry one not based upon a BMW.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #51
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post

I too have to wonder if the folks that rave about these have ever had a proper set up custom?
I've only had the Ural, but I would love to try another hack of any kind. I did take Redmenace's sidecar class and got to practice a lot on his Klr sidecars and they were a hoot. I found them much harder to ride though. Very light weight sidecars compared to the Ural. I was a total newbie too at that time. Still I'd own one and use the hell out of it. And if given the opportunity I'd try a BMW hack and take my chances. They look so cool too.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #52
hogmaine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post
In my best impersonation of "The most interesing man in the world" from the Dos Equis commercials;

I don't always ride a Ural. But when I do I have a lot of fun!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #53
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Reliability of the tug was the original concern, Ural vs. other brands.

As for handling, I have a Rokon with a sidecar...........but prefer the Ural.

Quote:

Old 07-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #54
Ivan Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:

I've owned 5 BMW sidecar rigs, 2 KLR sidecar rigs, 9 Ural sidecar rigs, 3 Ural Solos, 7 BMW solo's and a half dozen Hondas. My Urals get used 3 times as much as the other brand. My 2 yr old Ural Solo has the same amount of miles on it as my 10 yr. old BMW Solo. The same goes for the sidecars.
'10 Ural ST Solo
http://www.flickr.com/photo s/ivanrider/
Ivan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #55
oldmanriver1951
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
why not?

Quote:
Soon to be 61, have had lots of bikes big and small, and my BMW R75/5 was the most fun for many miles and years, Hondas are nice, Bultaco's were amazing wall climbers, but my Ural has been the most fun, most infuriating, most amazing, oldest form and functioning bike I have ever had and I LOVE IT!...Flat?...change the tire....tube needs patching?..I can do it, Carb problems , cylinder fits, it can be done out in the field or along side the road...not that I enjoy it...but its a lot easier than calling a tow truck or someone with a trailer...and the $85+ an hour labor is a killer!.... Need another gear to get another mile deeper into the mire? The Ural will do it with the powered 3rd wheel.... Reverse is a wonderful thing for us old coots....and have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like the old timey look and style...and have given more rides in the sidecar to more folks of the feminine persuasion of a variety of ages.....

She starts every morning, and has been my only transport for a couple of years now...and is just plain fun!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #56
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Not I. This is my first outfit, replacing a Honda ST1100 solo.

I have no doubt a modern outfit would rate better in every measurable way, but you can't measure how good the Ural makes ME feel and that's what matters at the end of the day.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #57
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Cause I am starting to get used to winning best of show at every event with my unwashed gear up!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #58
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
When I finally decided to take the 3 wheel plunge I looked at all the options, and finally went with a Ural'
The reasons in no particular order.

The most economical option for a new RTR rig.
Oldschool standard simplicity.
Historic.
off road ability
Reverse.
2wd
Easy and inexpensive to maintain.
Good looking.
Easy tub access for passenger.
Valid warranty.
Excellent reputation for customer service.
Unique.
No plastic.

I have ridden a few other rigs, but not enough to form any real opinions. I never get much out of test rides, it takes me a while to form an opinion.
I know there are better rigs, I know there are worse rigs, But after 4 years I know that a Ural is right for me, it just feels right in a way few other bikes have had for me.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #59
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biebs View Post
Ok the thread for why you should not buy a Ural has gone Viral!!

Here's why you should buy a Ural!!

It's the only motorcycle sidecar combo you can buy as a new vechile 2012!!

You can finace it $250 a month for 4 years!!!!

Try and get a sidecar loan for your current bike!!!
You took away my thought of starting such a thread as our new Gear Up arrives Wednesday in Salem through Raceway Services. Glad you did...
We arrived a bit early and are the guests of Jim here, the Owner. A far departure from the tent we have been living in for the past almost 6 years! A beautiful house. I have already also had the chance to familiarize myself with most of the maintenance through a couple new hacks that arrived while here. I am amazed at their simplicity even versus our 96 GS!
There will be more... Now to read the thread.
Stay well... Ara and Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #60
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
True, it does take time to build a rig, Right now about 4 weeks. You are going to live with what ever you buy for a long while, is 4 weeks really all that long to wait when you will have it for many years?
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Sorry Jay, we really... meaning really need reverse.

"Old Faithful", your built is still doing fine, actually better than ever with now an RT engine that has only 30.000 miles. At 280.000 miles I finally blew the engine. So unreliable!!!
The shop managed to detach and re mount the car without changing any geometry as you guys set it up so right!
So now we will have two... Think about the logistics of it while being homeless! Will have to think of something.
Talk soon...
Ara and Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote