Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #121
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 724
Its true. I use my Ural for grocery runs, and spinning around town. I rarely use any four-wheeled conveyance, even in winter. I also use it for long trips, overnights, camping missions, and dirt roads.

Maybe the reason you haven't seen any Urals "far from home" is because you are not travelling on the dirt road byways. While I'll slab it when I have to, I don't enjoy any of it. 50mph on some rolling dirt road is where I'm usually found.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #122
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelpacket View Post
Its true. I use my Ural for grocery runs, and spinning around town. I rarely use any four-wheeled conveyance, even in winter. I also use it for long trips, overnights, camping missions, and dirt roads.

Maybe the reason you haven't seen any Urals "far from home" is because you are not travelling on the dirt road byways. While I'll slab it when I have to, I don't enjoy any of it. 50mph on some rolling dirt road is where I'm usually found.
Oh please! Yes, your mass-produced look alike rigs do better in some conditions than my rig. My sleek fiberglass rig sucks in deep mud. Some like retro and some like modern styling. So what?

I travel at high speeds to reach far away places so I can slow down and enjoy the back roads, dirt whenever possible. I live on a dirt road, and dirt is my preferred method of travel. If I had more free time I would enjoy doing back roads exclusively, but I'm lucky enough to be employed by a company that has continued to grow throughout this recession and that comes at a cost. We all pitch in to make the company healthy.

Enjoy your rig. I'm sure it fits your needs just like mine meets my needs. But sweet jesus you guys are as bad as the leather-clad V-twin pirates who ask "When ya gonna get a real bike?"
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #123
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
We're all the same....

"But sweet jesus you guys are as bad as the leather-clad V-twin pirates"

Every thread that involves Urals always seems to end up with some Beemer Puke dumping on Urals and their riders. WTF? All Beemers are the same, mass produced and like a German Chevy, so what, if you like your Beemer, good. We like our Urals, so what. But when people start talking sh*t and being insulting, what response do you expect for being a loud mouth?? I guess we could group all Beemer riders into one category, but it wouldn't be true, I know several BMW riders that aren't the stereotypical BMW snobs, but many are. Just like the HD riders you malign, and yes there are tons of pathetic RUBS out there, but there is also lots of guys that have ridden them a long time and don't live thru their bike to have an identity. (which a lot of BMW riders do as well)

The one thing I have noticed is that Urals riders aren't posers, decked out in marque clothing and boutique garb, they don't think they are upper crust or better than others on different brands, they buy the bikes and enjoy them for what they are, there's no mystery about Urals, they are what they are, that is the reason we bought them. Just like how some people are into old cars and don't make the "smart" choice and buy a boring ass Toyota to fill their transportation/hobby needs.

If you don't get it, oh well, ride your preferred brand and let others do the same........
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #124
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I'll take it a step further - of all the various discussion boards that I'm on (and I'm on quite a few), Adventure Rider seems to have the most amount of sensitive users that I've come across. I've never been on any other board where you are more likely to get banned, have your comments kicked off because they don't follow the mainstream view of a thread, etc.

Everyone jabs at other brands and defends their own and we know that certain brands are worse than others (notice I didn't mention names ). But overall, it seems like the majority of people on here need to quit using a pumice stone on their skin and let it thicken a bit.

tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #125
akaJayson
Gremlin Cooker

Oddometer: 8
despite the thin skin...

Despite all the griping that is happening on this thread, I have to admit that after "wasting" at least 15 minutes of my day skimming it I am now surprisingly intrigued by the Ural-Tribe and will no longer walk by them and scoff when visiting San Diego BMW...because like some of the other guys on this post, I would usually go there to marvel at the "real bikes"...no more! I expect to be sizing up the sidecar for my dogs within the week.

Congratulations to the Ural-Band-of-Brothers... +1 swayed.
akaJayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #126
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaJayson View Post
Despite all the griping that is happening on this thread, I have to admit that after "wasting" at least 15 minutes of my day skimming it I am now surprisingly intrigued by the Ural-Tribe and will no longer walk by them and scoff when visiting San Diego BMW...because like some of the other guys on this post, I would usually go there to marvel at the "real bikes"...no more! I expect to be sizing up the sidecar for my dogs within the week.

Congratulations to the Ural-Band-of-Brothers... +1 swayed.
Swayed by the mob.

Point about the sensitivity taken. Maybe I am a bit sensitive to comments about Urals being the only hack that's fun, that turns heads, that dogs and chicks love, that result in delays at pitstops. I experience all those things as well on my unique rig. So do folks on old Harleys with Liberty sidecar tubs or someone who cobbed together a rig from parts found in a junkyard. I get tired of the brand x is better than brand y, that every sidecar needs a reverse gear or 2WD, that Beemer Pukes all ride too fast and never leave the pavement.

The bottom line is we are a very small subset of an already small group. As I've said dozens of times before I have more in common with other long distance riders -- regardless of their brand -- than I do with a BMW rider or a sidecarist who never ventures beyond his own county line. My style of riding dictates what I ride, not the other way around. I don't like the cost of BMW parts and my local dealer is Lord Farquaad, so if I need repairs I can't handle it means taking a vacation day and traveling 400 miles round trip to the next closest dealer. But the bike has the power and the speed I need to reach far away fun locations and still have time to explore once I get there. Barley and I will be visiting Yellowstone next autumn; the ability to reach it in three days matters to me. So does the ability to meander over gravel road passes in Colorado on the way back, delaying the homeward leg of the trip because I know, in a pinch, I can make it back to Vermont in three days.

Others have different priorities. That's fine. For every rig there is a purpose, and provided that purpose matches your needs everything is cool. I ride a BMW/Hannigan rig and yes, as a matter of fact I DO wear a whale foreskin suit. My Stich is arguably the best commuter gear available, protecting me from the weather and road hazards while still letting me dress for the office.

In my topcase is a bottle of Glenfiddich and a coffee grinder with a French press. Those things make me happy. I'd gladly share them with any sidecarist I meet in my travels. Apologies if I came across as a hardass, but this wonderful world of sidecars is more than just one brand.

Peace
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #127
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Swayed by the mob.

Point about the sensitivity taken. Maybe I am a bit sensitive to comments about Urals being the only hack that's fun, that turns heads, that dogs and chicks love, that result in delays at pitstops. I experience all those things as well on my unique rig. So do folks on old Harleys with Liberty sidecar tubs or someone who cobbed together a rig from parts found in a junkyard. I get tired of the brand x is better than brand y, that every sidecar needs a reverse gear or 2WD, that Beemer Pukes all ride too fast and never leave the pavement.
All types of vehicles have strengths and weaknesses, and we all have different expectations, For me a Ural happens to be best

My highest priorities are utility, and easy, inexpensive maintainability, I don't have the time, patience, or budget to rely on a dealer for my service, maintenance and repair needs.

Next comes having reverse as it is my only transportation for all circumstances and conditions, I don't want to worry about working around not having it, 2wd is far more convenient than chaining for ice and snow to get up the 20 percent grade hill we live at the bottom of, and all the other local terrain that comes with living in the foot hills of the Cascade mountains.
I don't want or need to trade those advantages for a higher freeway speed as I only do a couple long trips a year, and rarely do more than 250 miles on an average weekend .
My favorite type of riding is FS and logging roads, especially in winter, which is a Urals primary natural element.

Lastly, I prefer classically styled motorcycles over the "plastic action figure" style of contemporary bikes.

I don't think it's a problem when someone thinks their rig is the "best", if you don't think that way, you may have the wrong rig,
The problem is when someone looses sight of the fact that there is no one size fits all "best", more so when you consider the eccentric nature of your average sidecarist.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #128
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I don't think it's a problem when someone thinks their rig is the "best", if you don't think that way, you may have the wrong rig,
The problem is when someone looses sight of the fact that there is no one size fits all "best", more so when you consider the eccentric nature of your average sidecarist.
That's pretty much my point when you strip all the fluff out of it. When a noob considering a hack asks the "What should I get?" question, there follows a chorus of "Get Brand X, it rocks!" or words to that effect rather than asking where the poster lives and what sort of usage he intends.

Every bike is a compromise, as is each hack. I'd compare the Ural to a KLR; it'll get you thru some nasty stuff, but if that nasty stuff is far away don't expect to reach it quickly. The GS and older Tiger both can get you there quickly and in comfort, but don't expect them to handle the nasty stuff as well. I personally think the best compromise would be a KTM-based hack.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #129
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Swayed by the mob.

The bottom line is we are a very small subset of an already small group. As I've said dozens of times before I have more in common with other long distance riders -- regardless of their brand -- than I do with a BMW rider or a sidecarist who never ventures beyond his own county line. My style of riding dictates what I ride, not the other way around. I don't like the cost of BMW parts and my local dealer is Lord Farquaad, so if I need repairs I can't handle it means taking a vacation day and traveling 400 miles round trip to the next closest dealer. But the bike has the power and the speed I need to reach far away fun locations and still have time to explore once I get there. Barley and I will be visiting Yellowstone next autumn; the ability to reach it in three days matters to me. So does the ability to meander over gravel road passes in Colorado on the way back, delaying the homeward leg of the trip because I know, in a pinch, I can make it back to Vermont in three days.

Others have different priorities. That's fine. For every rig there is a purpose, and provided that purpose matches your needs everything is cool. I ride a BMW/Hannigan rig and yes, as a matter of fact I DO wear a whale foreskin suit. My Stich is arguably the best commuter gear available, protecting me from the weather and road hazards while still letting me dress for the office.

In my topcase is a bottle of Glenfiddich and a coffee grinder with a French press. Those things make me happy. I'd gladly share them with any sidecarist I meet in my travels. Apologies if I came across as a hardass, but this wonderful world of sidecars is more than just one brand.

Peace
See we can all get along, heheh. I carry Crown Royale, a Coleman single burner back pack stove that uses unleaded to get my percolator in action.(I prefer Starbucks House Blend in my perc, I know, what a snob) Your Beemer suits your needs and time constraints, all good. I'm retired, sort of, seem to work harder now than when I had a formal job!! But for those of us that have the time and can relax, the Ural cruising speed of 62 is fine. I have an Electraglide Classic if I need to make time and hit the slab, otherwise I avoid the slab like the plague, trips are so much nicer on secondary roads, if you have the time.

I took a 2500 mile ride on my Gear Up last year, rode secondary all the way up to Northern Washington, Lake Chelan Sidecar Rally, then rode the coast from Portland down to Cali, it was the most relaxed and fun ride I've ever had. Back when I was working I would have had to slab it on 5 up and back, totally different mindset and experience. I'm glad I can do it the relaxed way now on a weird machine that produces so many grins. Having to slab it on 5 for a couple thou would suck on a Gear Up, it just isn't made for that.

And I'll say there's nothing wrong with a stich, unless it's hi-viz, ha! In my collection of riding jackets I have a BMW Santiago jacket that is of the highest quality and a great jacket, Use it a lot. Soon I will be buying a Aerostich Falstaff in brown, always wanted one and it's time.

As far as the pro Uralness of this thread, it is a Ural specific thread, so the posts may be biased towards them. I'm not sure, and I may be wrong, but I surf ADV all the time and I don't see a lot of Ural guys going into KTM, BMW, Triumph, etc hack threads and calling those guys bikes piles of crap or the riders a bunch of idiots for their choice of bike. But I'm sure there's been some flame ups somewhere. Such is the internet.....Shame on any foil head that starts crap like that. I do see a lot of pro/con flaming over having reverse and 2WD. Once you have those two things it's hard to imagine life without them, pretty damn nice to use. To each his own.

Well enjoy your Beemer and when the time comes enjoy retirement, it's pretty nice being out of the pressure cooker!! I'm an ex-IT guy, surprised I made it out alive or at least without a heart attack from all the pressure.....
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #130
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
I ride a BMW/Hannigan rig...
In my topcase is a bottle of Glenfiddich and a coffee grinder with a French press.
Peace
Boondox

As far as I am concerned BMW makes the best motorcycles in the world. But I might be slightly prejudice since I was in Sedalia as a BMW club officer.

After my 1150GSA flipped me end on end in Tierra del Fuego, I decided that to finish the SA ride, it would have to be on three wheels. The winds, condition of gravel roads, the winds, the mud and the winds convinced me that three wheels was the wiser choice for that particular southern environment. After looking at the various options, a Ural is simple, easy to repair and will be more affordable to sell down there when done. Reverse can and will be needed there. Pushing a rig backwards in deep sand by yourself is not practical. Another very important point, no electronics on the Ural. The negative is - there are no Ural dealers in South America. But the local mechanics are geniuses in improvising and repairing. A Ural will fit their mode of operation. WWID.

Your BMW and my Ural are brothers of different mothers. Same fatherland design, different factories. As I tell my club friends, the Ural is a BMW clone... with reverse..... and two wheel drive. A BMW SUV.

Your choice of single malt is 100% A-OKay. But need to introduce you to some quality 100% Colombian coffee. Strong flavor, never bitter.

Ride safe and far
CCjon

Ride to Alaska on a URAL Blog
http://uralinguccc.blogspot.com
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #131
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,018
I'm sorry to see that this thread turned the way it did a number of posts ago. I , like many people, drive and ride a few different vehicles and it sometimes amazes me how others treat you depending on what you are using to go down the road on a particular day. Unfortunately that thinking spills over to online forums. Why should I be labeled one thing when I'm in my hybrid and something else in my pick up? Same goes for the Ural, former Goldwing, FJR,.... you get the idea. That BMW snob might just have a killer Harley or track day bike. Does that make him somebody else? Get the tool or tools that work for you and let the others enjoy theirs.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #132
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,270
CCjon Good on the coffee! I still roast my own on the road and nothing like it. Maybe "Bali Blue Moon" I am using right now!
Well said....

Stay well, Ara and Spirit.
From somewhere on the endless Road...
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #133
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCjon View Post

Your choice of single malt is 100% A-OKay. But need to introduce you to some quality 100% Colombian coffee. Strong flavor, never bitter.

Ride safe and far
CCjon

As luck would have it, I work for a gourmet coffee roaster and have access to some incredible beans. I carry different beans for different moods or times of the day. A premium African AA for the morning pick me up. A mellow Peruvian for early afternoon breaks. A kickass blend of Colombian and Guatemalan for bad weather.

Mmmm, sounds a bit like picking motorcycles for different needs, doesn't it?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #134
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCjon View Post
. As I tell my club friends, the Ural is a BMW clone... with reverse..... and two wheel drive. A BMW SUV.
While IMZ (Ural) and KMZ (Dnepr) may have started making a BMW (R71), though in KMZ's case a highly modified vehicle that was actually fit for it's purpose, there is no way you can call their later vehicles "clones" or "copies". The first Dnepr, the K-650 had a plain bearing crankshaft and sleeved alloy cylinders and a proper centrifugal oil filter while the BMWs of the time were still using roller bearing crankshafts, cast iron barrels and incidental oil fitration via the oil slingers.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #135
TriplePete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norms 427 View Post
Buy a Ural to ride to Alaska. I did. The Alaska Highway is made for Urals.

This is Mount Robson. Let me tell ya, it doesn't get any better than sitting on the front porch of this little cabin smoking a cigar n sippin' hooch while the setting sun does its evening light show on snow-capped mountains.

This was the best trip of my 65 year life (so far) and the Ural definitely was a large part in helping to make it so memorable.

Oh, and in 17,000 km in 18 months I haven't had a single significant issue, just a couple of little things not even worth mentioning.

Ohhh Norms, you just gave me a great idea!!! Alaska by Ural.... I was gonna do by Tiger XC.... but my Patrol would be sweet and comfy if slow... perfect!

The adventure starts when things stop going as planned.

http://fury.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
TriplePete is offline   Reply With Quote