ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
AWESOME RR guys!

Getting excited to pick up the new 690 Enduro tomrorow now - these posts inspire me to explore this state. :)

duane
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
First time...

I usually don't ride that much on this side of the mountains but I have been wanting to explore more in the Cascades so I took off on my GS. I headed up to FS-17 then to FS-18 into Darrington then proceeded down the Mtn Loop Hwy on my way home. I left kind of late so I really didn't explore much up off of FS-18 but I want to and also would love to take my KLX up there as well. What a great area.

iJabberwocky screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 09:01 PM
iJabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
kuroda_tadayoshi
Kuroda

Oddometer: 141
Great news

I just wanted to give a shout out to Jeff the parts manager, and Mark the service manager, at Ride West BMW.

I contacted Jeff to get pricing and availability for that left bag mount. I mentioned I broke it on a bumpy ride.

Jeff then got in touch with Mark, and the two of them talked. Jeff said to come in and talk to Mark.

Now, they are replacing the bag mount, free of charge! I didn't ask for, or expect anything. I figured I was on the hook for the part. They saved me $150.

Now, I have to look into getting metal cans. Those plastic things don't do well off-road.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
Tom Edison OP
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroda_tadayoshi View Post
I just wanted to give a shout out to Jeff the parts manager, and Mark the service manager, at Ride West BMW.

I contacted Jeff to get pricing and availability for that left bag mount. I mentioned I broke it on a bumpy ride.

Jeff then got in touch with Mark, and the two of them talked. Jeff said to come in and talk to Mark.

Now, they are replacing the bag mount, free of charge! I didn't ask for, or expect anything. I figured I was on the hook for the part. They saved me $150.

Now, I have to look into getting metal cans. Those plastic things don't do well off-road.
That is good news for you. That plastic outfit must just be for commuting to the office.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #20
bscman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Ran up to Cape Horn and met up with a co-worker to take our little bikes up FS17, via the Upper Finney side.
I passed a pair of dualsports (a black DR and a maroon KLR?) on South Skagit on my way up around 6pm.

We stayed low along the creek, ran across a few campers, and jumped a small black bear (maybe 120lbs) near the first bridge crossing. Then decided to try to find some snow...which we did near the end of the road near Gee Point.
We stopped and snapped a quick, fuzzy cell phone picture of Little Gee Lake before the skeeters got us.

The lake was still 2/3 ice covered, but the small brook trout were surfacing like mad in the open water.

Seeing all the "no kickstand needed" snow photos, little Suzi decided she wanted to play too!

Total of 116miles round trip from Sedro Woolley...about 4hrs total...and a whopping 1.31 gallons of gas.
bscman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Brush cutting

Lorne and I went up to 17 in the box to cut some brush on a trail that we tried
last year.

We cut brush and wound up on this road. It looked a lot clearer from this vantage point when Tom and I were there the other day.

Looking back from 17. Need to try it with the bikes one of these days.

This is where Tom and I made it to when we took the bird pictures.

Chain saw works good for cutting through the brush and small alders. A little more work will get us through with the bikes
Old 07-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #22
Tom Edison OP
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,327
Old 07-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #23
SnoValley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MDL View Post
Where is the best place to park a truck in the FS17/18 area to launch smaller DS bikes? I normally take the 610 all the way from home but the 450 might be fun. An hour of highway each way on the 450 is not the most fun however.
I've parked at the snow park parking area up Finney Creek Rd. Also last time I parked on South Skagit Hwy about 1/4 mile east of where 17 comes out by Cumberland Creek. Theres a couple of wide parking areas. Haven't had any problems so far.
SnoValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
SnoValley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscman View Post
There's also a park and ride near Clear Lake...where Hwy 9 and South Skagit Hwy intersect.
It's a 12mi ride to FS17 on S. Skagit Hwy, but it has a few decent turns as it follows the river--along with several cool pockets of air on a hot summer day.
Not the best place to leave a rig parked after dark, however.

SnoValley,
that area near the FS17/18 junction is PRIME habitat for black bear in the late spring/early summer.
Their diet is usually a lot of grasses and they LOVE the skunk cabbage that is very plentiful around that wetland. They do have a tendency to linger on the road. I've run across several along that stretch as well. A few more weeks and they'll start moving up the mountain...
Shoot me a PM next time you plan to head up...I live nearby and am always up for an impromptu ride. I know that area very well myself!

I always seem to see these pair of picture posting Kawasaki's cruising down S Skag Hwy or HWY 9 in my cage...one of these days I'll run into them up the mountain, on the bike!
Sounds great. I'll do that, send me a PM also if your going to be out and about. Really don't like riding in the woods by myself, but you got to do what you got to do.
SnoValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
We took a ride out this weekend, with Bruce and the sidecar. Went Mtn Loop, Rat Trap Pass (just rode through the 'Road Closed' section at the end) Then doubled back to camp in a little spot we'd found up an a ridge near Darrington. Ended up that we couldn't actually get to that spot because of logging, so overnighted at the end of a trail somewhere.

Rained heavy on Sunday morning, so we made a late start and went up and over 18, then 17 down to Sedro. Absolutely beautiful ride, though a little chilly as we spent half the day inside a cloud.

Got to love having this sort of stuff so close by.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #26
Granparacer
Old but not dead

Oddometer: 231
We saw you on 17 headed north.I ride a 990 Adv and my wife was on her 650GS. It was a little damp but still a good ride. Always amazes me that it's so close to home.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #27
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscman View Post
I always seem to see these pair of picture posting Kawasaki's cruising down S Skag Hwy or HWY 9 in my cage...one of these days I'll run into them up the mountain, on the bike!
Right[as of] now the two Kawasakis [and two KTMs] are planing on a thursday ride up 17~18 eats in Darrington then over and back on Rat Trap. Would be nice if we could go through the road closed part. But heck riding is riding, right.

Weather permitting of course.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granparacer View Post
We saw you on 17 headed north.I ride a 990 Adv and my wife was on her 650GS. It was a little damp but still a good ride. Always amazes me that it's so close to home.
Excellent ... you guys were the only other bikes we saw off pavement all weekend.

The closed section at the end was easily passable, they were just doing roadworks. There was a guard at the far end (closest to 530), but not at the bridge where Rat Trap comes out, so we just moved the signs and rode on through. When we got to the guarded end, the guy didn't even come out of his RV (or at least, didn't come out quick enough to intercept us!), and there was a gap big enough for me to squeeze the sidecar through. Sorted!

On Saturday there was no one actually working on the road, the whole stretch was deserted, Thursday may be different.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #29
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Wink Pre ride

Been wondering where the trail Tom walked down last ride went to. So
I left my house around noon to do a little pre~run on tomorrows ride.

I wound up looking east at Lorne's rock. We have been looking at that ridge for two years now.

I'm not sure what the number is on this road is. Tom or Lorne might know as it is the one we helped the guy stuck in the snow with the Dodge pickup. That log is only round on this side. Looks like another crummy ride in order[means with power saw].

Looking back at where I was.

Fun day for us retired guys tomorrow.

turnsleft screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 04:43 PM
turnsleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #30
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,491
Bastages(as I look at this at work) !

Have fun and ride safe! Waiting for the pics.

I told a redneck he had the flag hung wrong in his garage........ I solved his issue a little quicker than he thought. My black eye to him going to hospital. big-boss
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote