Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #271
thestickman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
I started riding at 45. I wish I would have started earlier but odds are that I would, due to maturity issues have been a face-plant candidate. 1st bike was a scooter:400 cc Majesty. Replaced it with a Virago 250.

Pro-freedom & liberty.

thestickman screwed with this post 11-02-2008 at 04:28 PM
thestickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #272
DirtyRidah
Banned

Oddometer: 78
uhmmmm

31 this yr started because i can damnit and i finally had a spare 220$ for now mandatory msf class... first bike is the one i just got xl600r pretty massive and gnarly for a noob but im learnin how to thrash
DirtyRidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #273
beck49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Started riding at 58. Had ridden scooters off and on, but never a motorcycle.

1. "WTF were you thinking?" I know my wife, and certainly my daughter, were thinking the same thing. I had been riding scooters on vacation for several years and took the MSF course as a safety precaution just to build my skills. Was planning on getting a Vespa, but got hooked on a bike during the course.

2. What was your first bike? Got a used GZ250 just like I rode in MSF and kept it for three weeks and 400 miles. Really helped to build my skills. Don't regret the short ownership at all. Starting small was definitely the way to go for me.

3. How do you feel about starting so late? Didn't feel one way or the other about it. I hadn't been secretly fantasizing about ride a motorcycle all my life. All I know is that I really enjoyed riding once I started and that's all that mattered. I think the one thing that is different when you start older, at least for me, is that I'm very interested in learning the skill or craft of riding.
Simply going fast in a straight line is not all that appealing.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru? GZ 250 for 3 weeks, Triumph Speedmaster 1yr and 6000 miles; just got a new '08 Tiger. That will be it for while. Finally found the right bike for me.
beck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #274
beamertwin
Paul

Oddometer: 1,066
Talking ride

Started at age 48 with a BMW 650 GS after a MSF class during a Florida vacation.
Daughter was out of the house, supportive GF and ready for a new adventure. Had wanted to ride for 15 years but did not have support of practice wife. The adventures never end!
Have moved to a BMW 1150 GS ADV, a KLR 650 (in the garage packed for a shipment south-a new adventure) and a Yami TW 200 to ride over the tundra.
Best time yet...though the GF says my bikes are in more photos than she is!

Pancreatic cancer stinks
beamertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #275
LazarusCorso
That's your real name?

Oddometer: 6
Cool2 Mini Bio

To be fair, I first hopped on a motorcycle when I was 11. I really hadn't grasped the concept of shifting. As I pulled away from the group of other boys, winding out first gear past redline, wind rushing past me, I couldn't hear the owner of the bike jumping up and down and screaming, "Shift!!" I was hooked, to be sure, but the parents said no way. So motorcycles went to the back of my mind. In my early 20's, a friend bought a Kawasaki ZL600 and I got to ride it a few times. When he moved to California (we were in Chicago at the time) he left me with the bike for few months. The plan was I'd ride it out to him at some point. That didn't happen and he picked it up and drove it back himself. Before I knew it, 40 crept up on me in 2006. I had the annoying realization that despite my attraction to two wheels, I had yet to own my own. After looking around, I decided on a Ducati Monster. I found a great deal in Santa Barbara and had the option of delivery or picking it up myself. Not have ridden in a few years, I was reluctant to have my first ride be 250 miles. It didn't take me long to understand that going down and bringing it back myself was an important part of the whole experience. Riding back on that hot day in June was an indescribable feeling, one I am sure everyone here has felt. I was 11 again and though I first threw a leg over a bike 29 years previous, I didn't really start riding until the age of 40.

I still have my Ducati and sometime in the next few months I will be buying a BMW R1200GS.
LazarusCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #276
latigid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I've been wanting a bike since I was 8-9 years old but it took me until I was 31 to finally get one for a few reasons. School, Finance, kids, a wife.

This year I had the money so I finally did it.

Bought my first bike at 31 this June a month before I took my MSF. A 04 Triumph Bonneville.

My one and only bike.

I knew I'd love riding...but I never knew I'd love it as much as I do.
latigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #277
PopRock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Age 61. Bought a Yamaha Maxim 650 J. Scared me good, but I took the MSF with it, passed. Rode the Maxim for a year, sold it. Got a XS1100 SG (1980) full dresser. Great bike, 12 hr days, 750 miles no problem. Still learning. Looking for a dual sport.
PopRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #278
dualpurpose
Rider of the Wild Earth

Oddometer: 5
Never too old at 63.

I rode bikes in the late 1950's (before I was old enough for a licence ) though to the mid 60's. Then again in the early 80's I had a Yamaha XV750. This year, at 63 I have bought new BMW f650 gs, did an advanced riding skills course last week. Next year I will do the BMW Offroad training course, then it's off to Cape Town to ride up to Egypt and beyond.

Ain't life great . . . on a bike!
dualpurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #279
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
I got my first bike October of 06, at 37 years old. Gas prices were starting to go up and I and I figured I'd save money on gas.

My father in law had an old Suzuki in his garage, after talking it over with my wife she said make him an offer. I did and his counter offer was "Get it out of my garage and its yours." How could I refuse.

The bike is an 1982 GS 850 that hadn't ran much for 7 years. Took the MSF course and spent the winter figuring out how to rebuild the carbs and cleaning it up. I got it up and running in April of 07 and its still going strong.

Last year my wife got tired of seeing the back of my helmet all the time, so we started looking for her one. She finally found a Vulcan 500 that fit her (she's height challenged). Now we load a kid on each bike and take off on family outings.

In short what started as a gas saving measure, has become anything but . The enjoyment level is more than worth it.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #280
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,527
I had riden 4 wheelers most of my life. My dad bought a TW200 to ride with me at the offroad parks. I enedd up getting my permit and rode it also. We took the MSF class together. After I put about 1000 miles on his bike I traded my quad in on a DRZ400S. I've done 7000 miles on it in a year.

2. What was your first bike?
Borrowed dads TW200 until I got my DRZ400S

3. How do you feel about starting so late?
I wish I would have started alot earlier.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
I will be gettind a BMW F800GS shortly.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #281
650VTwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
I started riding at the ripe young age of 37. I learned about MSF classes from a friend at work, and discovering the prospect of actually getting training to ride (and getting a license without having to buy a bike and learn to ride it first) took away a mental barrier to doing something that I guess had always seemed like an interesting and fun thing to do. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into, of course -- I thought I'd take the MSF class for fun and then just keep on through life on four wheels. Little did I know!

I took delivery of my first motorcycle, an SV650, four weeks after I got my license. A year later, I bought a Wee Strom to do longer distances, and a year after that (that is, this year) I bought a Bandit 1250. I still have all three bikes. I rode the Wee to Arizona this past summer so I'd have a bike to ride when I'm there visiting my parents. I ride the SV and the Bandit regularly here in Maryland. My accumulated mileage on my three bikes is somewhere around 26K at this point.

My riding goals for 2009 include doing a track day, improving my maintenance and farkling skills, and riding to Laguna Seca to check out MotoGP. I'd like to visit some ancestral homelands in Ontario, too. I don't have any plans to buy a new bike in 2009, but my long-term aspiration is to buy something on which I can ride 600 miles a day in comfort. I'd like to think that I'm still too young for a Wing, but maybe an FJR would fit the bill.
650VTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #282
ahoraquemister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
From Colombia

1. You owe me USD 3.000 (the price of my first car, that she gave me as a gift)

2. Suzuki Freewind 650

3. Im better off doing it now when I was 18. No much brain then.

4. Yamaha TDM 900

ahoraquemister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #283
BravoZulu
Roger Ball

Oddometer: 19
1st post!

So this seems like a good first post for me!

I bought my first bike when I was 47. That was 5 months and 3000 miles ago. I what lost my wife two years earlier in a traffic accident. A garbage truck crossed the centerline into her lane. She never had a chance. Sometimes when your number's up, your numbers up!

So I needed a change of pace... Something to shake my life up a little. I had never ridden a motorcycle before. Not at all. But I was always interested.

1. WTF was I thinking! (I'm sure sure I'll hear about it from her when my number's up!)

2. First bike: 2008 Harley Road King Classic. I know a lot of people don't get the Harley but it's a classic look and with the new Brembo brakes it stops well. It handles/performs fine for the way I ride. It's not about lean angle and thrills per mile... It's about enjoying the leisurely ride! I am looking at a R12GS as a second bike though so I'm not a completely lost cause! The Road King relatively heavy but I find it very managable and very easy to ride even as a complete noob.
3. Better prepared. I was a Naval Flight Officer for 20 in the might S-3 Viking. It's very similar. A bunch of safety gear of varying comfort and people and situations trying to kill you. The whole process of IDing threats, sorting them and minimizing risk where you can and planning stategies to deal with them is the same. At 20 I would have killed myself through overconfidence.
4. A BMW is next... Not a replacement but as a second or third bike. I feel Multiple Bike Syndrome is in my future.

They had to deliver the bike on a trailer and I waited until I had taken the MSF course to ride the bike. The two weeks from delivery to the MSF course was a test of patience. MSF course then couple of days of laps around the neighborhood with all the neighbors coming out to see what I was up to now! That was comforting... NOT. No mishaps and I got myself up to the High School parking lot and some Ride-Like-A-Pro practicing. So I've taken it easy and I love it. Best decision I've made in a long time.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #284
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,487
Welcome!! Good luck, ride safe and keep that "Beginner's Mind".

Best,
B
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #285
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,077

1. Started about a year and a half ago when I was 31, because I missed having an auto and driving/getting places without having to wait on someones else's schedule (trains, planes, buses). I live in the city and any escape is a good escape.

2. First bike, BMW F650 Carbed.

3. I wished I could've started riding when I was younger and wish I had met someone who would've introduced me to it, but I don't regret it too much. I think for most people, age 15-16 (the time you're legally able to ride) to about the age of 28 (the time, most people begin to become more stable in their finances), so many other things take a priority. Also, I would've taken much greater risk and exhibited poor judgement due to a lack of wisdom.

4. BMW F650 Carbed to the best bike EVER, the KTM 990 Adventure. Yes I drink the orange cool-aid.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote