User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2005, 04:41 PM   #16
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,838
34 years old.

The guy who hired me in St. Louis said part of the deal was buying a bike along with him. Laughs all around, kidding, right?

Two months later he says "this is the day."

He's my boss, gotta play nice. Go down to the Honda dealership. He buys a little 250 Ninja or some such shit. I buy a V45 (?) Magna. Accelerated faster than anything I've owned since. Fun. He rode mine back, I learned the basics in a parking lot. Froze leaving a traffic light soon after getting it, wouldn't lean into a turn, slowly scraped into the kerb and toppled over, kinda like the tricycle lady on Laugh In.

Got scared riding on 6-lane interstates, the bike was light and got blown around. Saw a K75 at the bike show a year later, fell in love with the big round headlight, and the bike was a lot heavier and more stable.

Rode that until I got to Atlanta, where the beltway demanded more get up and go. So I got the GS for the extra ponies, the handling, the looks and the do-all ability.

I actually had a bike for about a week in college, a 2-stroke. I knew nothing about bikes, including the need for oil in the gas. Had it transported it back to my place. Rode it maybe twice. It was a Yamaha of some kind. When I wrenched on the gas, it about threw me off and pulled my arms out of their sockets. Scared the shit out of me. I ruined that bike. Didn't know diddly about oil/gas, seized it up. But not before it threw me in the middle of downtown traffic.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan

wxwax screwed with this post 05-24-2005 at 04:56 PM
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:11 PM   #17
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,165
Cool thread

I get lots of riders in my MSF courses start'n over the age of 30. They are a fun group who have a big edge on the way I started ride'n in my early teens with no training and think'n the throttle was just an on off switch
Rad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:53 PM   #18
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.
V-wife started riding at age 48. Got her permit. Learned basic control operation. Went out to ride some trails, broke her thumb (loss of throttle control over an obstruction, struck tree), out for the rest of the season. That was on a DR-200SE.

Got an even smaller bike, dualsported TTR-125L. Started riding again. Also took MSF course (on their Honda Rebel). Now licensed. Does local dirt roads and paved connectors (comfortable running bike 45mph max - similar to the way my EC200 2-stroke woods racer is geared!). For any further, she rides passenger on our DL-1000.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #19
Dirty Horse
recently arrived

Oddometer: 61
Bluhduh And some still think I'm crazy

I had always wanted a dirt bike when I was a kid. But was never able to get one. Both of my brothers road street for years. I just never really got that interrested untill I saw some of the dual sport bikes. So in 2000 at age 33 I decided to get a bike. Got permit went to the dealer took test ride which was my first time ever on anything with two wheels and a engine. DRZ400s got loaded it the back of my nephews truck and home we went. Two days and 52 miles later,First crash went wide on a small curve hit ditch over the bars and broke my left knee .

Fastforward May 13 2005 friday, Dog ran out in front of me and gets stuck in the front wheel locking it,resulting me highsiding with the bike following. Brake levers and handle bar end do bad things to human flesh.
Dirty Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:21 PM   #20
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
I started riding two years ago...at age 42. After being diagnosed with borderline / pre diabetes I realized I probably wasn't going to live forever as previously planned. I had always wanted to ride so I thought I'd better get started. My only riding experience was on a 50 or 90cc minibike and a small dirtbike as a pre-teen, and on a rented scooter on a Greek Island in the 80's.

My first bike was a Honda Shadow VLX600 cruiser. Since then I've had a Buell XB9SL, a Ducati Monster 800, and a BMW F650GS. I currently have a Buell XB9SX, a Harley Dyna Superglide, and a BMW Dakar. I use my late start as an excuse / rationalization for having had so many bikes in a short time frame...

Then the wife started riding.... it's been a revolving door of bikes around here while we have been trying to sort out our preferences. We both feel time is defintely NOT on our side. I wish I had started sooner, but I'm glad I didn't start in my teens or 20's. I've never been a reckless person, but wisdom does occasionally accompany age.....

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #21
xpi0t0s
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I started riding in early 2000 when I was 33. When I stopped cycling everywhere several years previously I had ruled out a motorbike because you could never account for all the other idiots, but when I moved south (in the UK) it eventually dawned on me that all those other idiots - myself included - were permanently stuck in traffic jams. My principle reason for not biking thus evaporated, and after a friend in Birmingham said how much fun he'd had on a scooter was all set to follow in his tyretracks. Mentioned this to my Dad, who said that a bike was better than a scoot because the larger wheels make them more stable. I'd already decided a decent size scoot would have required a full bike licence anyway, so thought what the heck and went all the way up to a motorbike.

This decision did worry my Mum, but this worry was averted on two counts - firstly that I said I would get all the training I could (and in fact have now passed my Advanced Riding test), and secondly because it turns out she used to ride everywhere as well and also has a full bike licence, much to my surprise. She even said she'd been riding several months into her pregnancy with me! So maybe riding reminds me of the womb, or something daft like that.

2. What was your first bike?

What happened to 1? Anyway, my first bike was a dual purpose 125 (can't remember the make;Honda or Yamaha) so I could practice riding off-road. By the time I found out that this was in fact just as illegal as riding on-road I'd done over 100 miles and was well and truly ready for my CBT*, then after getting through that I could ride the bike on the road.

For my bike test* in Nov-2000 I got a Honda CB750 which I practiced riding in car parks; passed the test on the 3rd attempt and got a full Category A licence as opposed to the silly A1 restricted you get if you only pass on a bike that outputs less than 46bhp (the 125 was 11bhp. Wow, I still remember getting on it the first few times thinking "this is way too powerful...")

(* Getting a bike licence in the UK is complicated business.)

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

It's probably just as well; I've had several accidents in the cars I've had over the years, and if those had been on a bike I'd have been in much worse shape than I am now, and as a result I'm much more tolerant of other drivers' errors. But I guess you mean "do you wish you'd started sooner", to which the answer would be "Don't know; everything considered, probably not." Riding is definitely the best fun I've had with my clothes on.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

Traded in the 125 and the 750 about a year after my test for a Fazer 600. Traded that in in March for my current bike, a BMW R1200GS. The 125 and 750 were both second hand, and the Fazer and Beemer were both new.
xpi0t0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #22
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,975
Quote:

BMW R1150RT. Yup, I started right off on the big toys. Dropped it making a u-ttrn into the garage within the first hour of owning it. STALL... BANG! Back to the dealer to get head guards installed with my first service.

Quote:
WhyTF did I wait so farging long??!! I've been a bicyclist for the last 18-ish years, so the two-wheeled controls weren't too foreign. Its absolutely amazing how much further you can go on a motorcycle than a bicycle!

Quote:
Bought the RT, started surfing MRN. Found about this place from Fish when he got banned over there. Started surfing ADVRider and saw that riding these DS bikes looked like an absolute hoot. I ride mtn bikes, road bikes, race track and cyclocross so having "one of each" sounded like a grand idea. I decided that I wanted a KTM 640ADV. Found one for a good deal coupla months ago and picked it up at the end of April. Now I'm learing dirt skillz and having a blast!

To answer the first question last, Mom still ain't happy her firstborn is riding around on a "deathsicle" but since Dad's had several and my next little brother has two bikes, she can't complain too much. She does make it a point to make sure I know she don't like the idea that her family is riding motorcycles pretty much every time we talk on the phone.

I was sitting in traffic, age 35, in my F150, driving somewhere around rush hour. Sitting on the 5 southbound, idling, when a few bikes passed me splitting lanes. Hmmm. A little later another few bikes passed me. Hmmmm. That looks like a GREAT IDEA! I think I'll get one! After all, I've wanted a bike all my life.

Decided I wanted a sport tourer 'cause I wanted bags to haul paperwork around. First choice: Aprilia Futura 'cause I love the looks. Second choice: BMW. Third choice: VFR. The Aprilia dealer wouldn't/couldn't get financing, so off the the BMW dealer I went. They floated an app. Salesguy and I sat around twiddling thumbs waiting for the computer to spit back an answer. I was fully expecting to have the salesguy look at me and say "sorry Mr. Shaw, but we can't finance you." When he raised his eyebrows and said "you're approved" you coulda knocked me over with a feather. Oh shit! This means I GOTTA BUY the thing! HOLY SHIT! WTF now?!

Since I didn't have a license, they wouldn't let me ride off with it so I had them deliver it to the office. Once there, I hopped on and took off. Took 30 days or so to get the permit, and another few months to get an appointment to take the test. Found out that riding a bike in traffic is a lot like racing bicycles, but the consequences of messing up are a lot bigger! I'm still not sure where exactly the limits of traction are on the bike and don't really wanna find out ala Steve and Jabba.

That was 24k mi ago on the RT and another 1000-ish on the ADV. Next: Ducati 916-996-998!

M
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-25-2005, 01:00 PM   #23
Anciano
Bushpilot

Oddometer: 241
Started after 30?

1. "WTF were you thinking?" - I always wanted a bike, but we were poor. Got married, still poor. At 30 I decided to go to college. Went to bank and got a student loan of $600. Went to a M/C dealer and bought a bike.

2. What was your first bike? - New 1969 Kawasaki 175 enduro.

3. How do you feel about starting so late? - I cuss my old man everyday for being born poor. I missed out on at least 15 years of fun.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru? - Have had a series of dirt and dual sport bikes, currently riding a 1997 DR650 (can't wear the SOB out). Never had a street bike, that pavement scares the shit out me.

I have been riding for 36 years, but it could have been more than 50 years.

Wayne
Anciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:22 PM   #24
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,675
I'm not 30 yet, so I guess I can't play in this one...

Old 05-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #25
Loser
king of white trash

Oddometer: 308
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
I'm not 30 yet, so I guess I can't play in this one...

I do not feel so lonely now.
Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #26
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai
I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed) I was bored with summers in Nebraska and was looking for a means of recreation.

2. What was your first bike? VT500 Honda Ascot

3. How do you feel about starting so late? Took the MSF and am usually more conservative than long-term riders. I have fun within my limits and thats good enough for YFFs

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru? KLR650, HOnda ACE1100, Guzzi Quota, Yamaha FZ1. VTX1300 & another KLR650 for the current 2-bike stable
That fizzer didn't last long, huh? Didn't realize you'd moved on. Still wish I'd ridden your Quoto at Rolla, just to get a taste of it.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:00 PM   #27
big_weight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Just started at 52

This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed). My mom said that she never expected one of her kids to ride a motorcycle. She did ask "are you riding a HARLEY????"

2. What was your first bike? 2002 1150GS, bought 8/28/2004, after passing MSF mid-July 2004.

3. How do you feel about starting so late? - Can't believe what I missed. But at least I can afford to buy good safety gear - ATGATT!

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru? First bike is only bike.

big_weight screwed with this post 05-26-2005 at 07:53 AM
big_weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:44 PM   #28
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
Bought/rode a bike for the first time three months before my 30th birthday - I'm 32 now.

1st bike = 1995 KTM RXC 620 (bigheavytallleftkick... great bike).

This was my first ride:

Sold that to get the 640 Adventure.

Wrecked that ... & just got a 950 Adventure.

Plus a Gas Gas 280 Trials & a YZ 426 for good measure...
Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #29
cowboy3134
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Wo are us older riders, wishing we had discovered the pleasures of motorcycles earlier in life. But, we get here when we do!. I started four years ago at age 57, with the support of friends who ride. Took the MSF course, purchased a used R1150Gs, and started riding. Living in the mountains gave me great roads to learn to ride on. I took Reg Pridmore's CLASS course and last summer took the Ridin safe class from Leon Grodsky. I've logged about 30K, and am hoping to get more time to ride in the next few years. I'm looking at the new R1200RT's, and may purchase one, keeping my GS, so my son in law can ride with me.
cowboy3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #30
DataDaddy
@ the new dad thing

Oddometer: 7,559
Quote:
I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

Ah, yes... I remember it like it was just last month. Oh, wait it was! My mom was a little nervous. I had completed the MSF course with a buddy and was hemming and hawwwing about the bike. My wife, she got tired of me talking about it. She got me my KLR as a surprise for my 36th birthday. Thanks again Data-spouse!!!

Been riding and racing bikes for a number of years. Always loved adventuring on the bike, the motorcycle is great too -- you get to see more places...

My first rider report

Quote:

2005 KLR 650

Quote:

Like everyone else, I wished I had started earlier. Having said that, I am glad that I started at this age... I am able to do it right -- MSF course, ATGATT, etc. I have gotten the need for speed out of my system --well, most of it.

Riding is just soooo damn cool...its hard to explain to others why I go "riding around" for a couple of hours after work and during my luch hour.... I am habing enough fun that my wife is actually getting interested in riding. Guess its the dumb-ass grin when I get home...

Quote:
Quote:
Same bike...still
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote