Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #646
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I started riding after 30.

36.5, I actually just started in the past two weeks between MSF BRC, getting tested/passing the Texas DPS requirements, taking ownership of my motorcycle yesterday, and buying gear in the afternoon.

In the class I had a smile the entire time and after each class I was kicking myself in the pants for not doing it sooner. I had put it off for 20 years which was probably safer for the first ten of those anyway.

Today was my first day on the bike in traffic, I went an extra 30 miles to get a loaf of bread, that is normal correct?

I also will validate that when the instructors say you are invisible they mean it. After spending 30-45 minutes getting the feel for the bike I decided to leave my neighborhood. On the first major street some crewcab4x4diesel with trailer decided not to check the mirrors and enter my lane with no signal. When we pulled up to the next light he had that look of shame one gets after realizing you cut someone off and never saw them. At least that is what I hope the was reason for his facepalming.

Ride safe out there and remember to keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.
#328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #647
sayagainslowly
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Started at 42

After my last all-expenses-paid trip to the Middle East (courtesy of the US Air Force), decided to finally buy my "TDY Toy" - a gently used 07 DR 650.

Borrowed some dirt bikes and my brother's Kawi 450 a few times as a kid, but it was over 20 years between my last ride and the MSF course.

No other bikes owned and happy with the Suz for now, but mayyybeee something for longer road trips...................
sayagainslowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #648
GordoS
Pawn in game of life

Oddometer: 117
41 when I took the MSF course and bought my first bike

Last time I had been on a bike was in the 80's -- my brother owned a Kawasaki street bike that was just too damn big for my 5-8" I've sorta become a gear head in the last decade or so --owned a Subaru WRX I was always playing with, and then a turbo-diesel truck that got the same treatment. But cars are expensive and if I broke something, it would also hinder getting to work, not a good idea.

Then I took the MSF course about 3 years ago. Living in Northern Virginia and commuting to Rosslyn, I talked the wife into a "commuter bike" to run the HOV lane and ended up with a used SV650. Turns out the folks in the 95 HOV lane go a LOT FASTER than the posted 65 MPH speedlimit and the little twin was aways pushing to keep up with the flow of traffic (I weigh in around 220, so some of it was my fault), so it went in favor of a used FJR1300 about a year later. The Feej would hit 90MPH without thinking about it, with luggage and an electric windshield. Somewhere in there I took the MSF Experienced Riders Course, thanks to a senior manager who was a rider and brought the course to our agency. Then the Feej got trader in for a used factory lowered 1200GS . Since I also wanted something to be a people hauler, I also bought an HD Ultra Classic.

Between kids and work, life has gotten too busy and I really don't really have any weekend time to play in woods on the GS or get away on the Harley, so the GS got traded in on a 1200RT to commute (bags, electric windshield and heated grips and seats!) and the Harley has new owner as of yesterday. Not very many long trips (yet), but riding everyday when possible.
And wondering why I waited so long to get on a bike...
GordoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #649
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
The Mrs Tucker started at 50.

Ten years later she has 120,000 miles on BMW's

A few BMWMOA rally awards for long distance female

Every mainland state ridden to from California except Alaska and Florida

I'm proud of her accomplishments and willingness for ADVenture

We mainly tent camp, she PREFERS that

It's great when we say "what do you want to do for Christmas/New Year/Wedding Anniv/Easter/Birthdays/this Summer, and we agree a motorcyle ride would be the best thing we could do. (It helps to have a very small tent.)

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #650
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post

We mainly tent camp, she PREFERS that
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #651
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
1. Bought my first bike at 52. I have had my license since I was 16 but never owned a bike, mostly rode my brothers bike or a friends back then.

2. '02 Ninja 500

3. Wish I'd done it sooner, I'd forgotten what I was missing.

4. '00 Triumph Sprint > '06 Triumph Sprint > '07 Tiger

I used to enjoy sailing, a lot, now I hardly miss it at all. Most of my thoughts are consumed with riding.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #652
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 858
At age 38 I bought a brand new 2005 Triumph Thruxton. Had the dealer deliver it to me since I had never ridden a motorcycle, nor a dirtbike or minibike in my life. (yep - clearly a mid-life crisis thing).

The day it was delivered, I was literally on the Triumph in my driveway saying "I think you kinda give it gas and let out the clutch at the same time....." Putted around the neighborhood for a few weeks, took the MSF course and read Proficient Motorcycling about 5 times. Believe it or not, I never dropped that Triumph.

Six years, four motorcyles and about 40,000 miles later, very glad I had my mid life crisis.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #653
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
I'm 41 now and trying to learn....(emphasis on trying) Maybe I'm too impatient, who knows. I have issues. I did the BRC around here and by riding day 2 I was so frustrated with myself I threw in the towel. But I'm not giving in. I have a very nice neighbour who helps me practice and this month he's gonna be a Rider Coach so I'm gonna finish the BRC with him. And no, the man is not "nice" to me, he chases me quite meanly around the yard.
Maybe I should have done it sooner, of all people I'm too slow . However, I think I did well not doing it in my 20ies considering I toasted my first car after 6 weeks. Adding on all the bang ups I did as a teenager...I think I might just have waited long enough. And my husband had the nerve to accuse me of a midlife crises, too.....
I currently have a Lifan 200 (Yeah yeah...you can all giggle...I love it).
My dream would really be a BMW G650 GS but considering I can't pick up my 300 pound bike by myself what the heck would I do with a GS lol.

Oh and my dream ride right now is just to get the hell out of the yard.
yardracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #654
anthony_p01
Aussie V-Stromer

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

1. Mum wasn't into it at all......and I made sure I bought the bike first, then told her.

2. First bike was a Vmoto 125cc scooter.

3. Started late purely for a cheap commuting alternative.....now its more than that, its a lifestyle.

4. Move from the 125cc to a Derbi GP1-250 scooter, and am now riding a VStrom 650.
anthony_p01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #655
Jimbosidecar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
started at 44

I used to race cars, and when I ran out of time and money for that, my wife bought me a motorcycle to cure my adrenalin needs. It was my 44th birthday present. A Chang Jiang 750 sidecar rig. Blew up the motor (a 24 HP side valve) within weeks, and replaced it with a 32 HP OHV motor. Took my older son across China with it in 2000. Then replaced it with another Chang Jiang but installed a BMW R75/5 motor. When I retired in 2005, I rode another BMW sidecar rig around the world, and when I got back home I opened a shop building, you guessed it, BMW powered Chang Jiangs. Most fun job I ever had.
Jim
www.bmwsidecar.com
Jimbosidecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #656
stratus17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Started at 53

1. My neighbour, about my age but a rider for 30+ years, introduces me to motorcycle riding when his wife decided to stop.
2. Kawasaki ER-5
3. I should have started much sooner
4. ER-5; VFR800; CBR929 ; R1150R; VFR800A
stratus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #657
Curgin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Started at 30

I used to ride a 70's era Suzuki somethingorother500 around the farm 20 years ago. I only got my endorsement and first legal bike this past fall. I should have done it a long time ago. As soon as I figured out how to carry my knives and uniform for school, I got rid of my car. I now own two bikes, and am looking to add two more to the stables.

I wish more shops and clubs would spread the message of atgatt. So many squids and pirates around that people wonder why I'm wearing gear.
Curgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #658
muskieken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Originally Posted by Shoganai

yes

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

well don't remember mother saying any thing, but my dad told me how he rode a harley after korea and that he regretted not buying it.

1982 Suzuki gs 750 e

was finely mature enough, ps grew up in the Evel Knievel age , was jumping bicycles as a kid, just knew i do something stupid if i had a motorcycle in teens/ 20's

first ............ 82 gs 750e
second ......... 82 yamaha xj650...like the power but it's small for me.
third .......... 2009 crf 230L it's like a 10 speed with a motor, first time owning a dirt bike...got it to take camping.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #659
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post

1. After riding on the back of my husband's for a year, that it looked like even more fun up front

2. Buell Blast-purchased at age 35 after MSF course

3. Better late than never! Just wish I was braver on the dirt which I think starting at a younger age would have helped....

4. traded the Blast for a Sportster- the year I bought the Blast they had a deal that if you traded it in within a year you would get your full purchase price toward a new Harley; then sold the sportster to someone who would keep the chrome all nice and sparkly- and got a SV650 which I still have; then decided that the dirt roads looked like fun and bought a xt225- then decided that I need to learn to ride better on dirt, so bought a ttr125 to practice on (still have); sold the xt and now have a wr250 -lowered 5 inches so I can reach the ground.
tent space
LisaS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #660
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,955
I think there have been 4 deaths in our just begining riding season, in Iowa.

The radio (Who1040) said, it was because returning riders were coming back to riding. Getting back with bigger machines and perhaps riding beyond thier abilities.

1 was a fellow I had met a few times. He lost control after hitting a patch of gravel, and left the road hitting a sign. R.I.P. rider.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote