Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #691
SRanger331
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
31. Took the MSF coarse the last weekend of May 2011.

I had a chance to take the test back in '98. My friends brother had a YSR 50 and offered to show us how to pass the test. The weekend he choose also happened to be when I was supposed to take my college placement tests. My parents gave me a choice, take the CP tests, or get the M endorsement and be disowned. I took the CP tests.

I've been meaning to get my endorsement since then. Even started working on getting my dads old bike running twice. But procrastination always got the best of me.

Then last April 16 my best friend since we were 5 killed himself, his wife, and three kids. My mid-life crisis began then, fuck waiting until your old. I was to late to find s state sponsored class, but in my search for a new bike found a dealer that had the class and took it the next available time.

I was looking to find a new Kawasaki Ninja 250 or Hyosung GT250R. As I calmed down a bit, I realised I couldn't afford a new bike. That left dads 1973 BMW R60/5. Looking at the title it was last plated in 1984, the last I remember hearing it run was 88/89. I brought it to my garage and got it running again. It had 10832 miles on it when I got plates for it July 29th and it now has 14509. It now sits in my kitchen getting a very thourogh cleaning and some updates. Depending on the weather I should have it back out by the end of March, beginning of April.
SRanger331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #692
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
I was 46 years old. I have raced mountain bikes for 20 years though, so the transition was not too bad. Of course I bought an easy bike to learn on, 07 990 Adventure!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #693
Scooterholic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I was 41 when I decided to get a scooter to commute to work on, and found out that I love riding. That winter I got my ZX7 bike in a box from a friend and spent the rest of the winter putting her back together. I am now 43 and love the Reflex and the Ninja as each has it's own unique ride that puts a smile on my face no mater how bad a day it's been.

2001 Suzuki Katana 600
1992 Kawasaki ZX7 ( in bike coma )
2007 Honda Reflex
Scooterholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #694
Connito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I was 37. No experience, besides a friends 50cc street bike which I would ride for less than an hour once a month or so and that was almost 20 years ago . So three years ago I got a Yamaha Virago 700cc. Easy to ride (low to the ground), with enough power. I thought I will be riding this forever. That is until I saw and heard a 1972 CB750. I sold the Virago and bought a CB750. Then Kawasaki Concours, then CB175 then Ural, then Versys... I see a dual sport in my future.

Cheers to all and ride safe!
Pete

Neil Peart
Connito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #695
wbudi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Another Mid Life Crisis - mid 40's first bike

Took the MSF classand started to look for a bike. Bought aTriumph Tiger.A little heavy for the first bike. After a few practice ride and a week later, felt really compfortable on a bikenow. Nothing like jumping with both feet. Definitely a good advise is to find a smaller bike that's not so tall. Easier to handle and learn on. But having a blast now.
wbudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #696
Archer13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
1.Started at 48, Mom was not the problem, the wife finally said I could....
2.Started and still have a V-Star 950 tourer. Bought new, should have bought a used bike and then moved up.
3.Feel fine for starting late, wish I started earlier
4.Still working on the V-Star, 5000+ miles in about a year and half.
Bought a lot of add ons and can't afford a different one now.

V-Star 950 Tourer
Yamaha XT 250
Archer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #697
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 820
I started just after turning 30. Took the Team Oregon BRC a couple days after my birthday last July. Got a bike in October, a Suzuki S40. Don't know when/how long it'll be until I "progress" to a different bike. It'll probably be a couple of years simply because of financial constraints.

How do I feel about starting so late? Pretty good, actually. Wish I had started riding sooner, but we all know the saying about wishing in one hand and pissing in the other. The motorcycle bug had been planted in me at a young age, around 5, when I rode a friends 50cc minibike. Throw in some occasional dirt bike and scooter riding over my young years, and well it was no surprise that I eventually manifested in the desire to actually start riding all the time. I rode so little earlier in life I can't count it as experience. Riding was a good choice. I actually like to leave the house to go places because I get a smile every time I ride. It's fun, unlike driving the cage which I was exceptionally tired of. If it weren't for fact I actually use my pickup truck for it's intended purposes etc, I'd sell it and go bike only.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #698
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Well i restarted riding at 41.

Hadnt owned a bike since i was about 27

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits...
3990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #699
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
All that wasted time!
I started sometime around 14, and stuck with it.
At 54, I keep thinking my days are numbered (even if it might be a big number) and think about riding as much as I can get away with.

Part of the fun is gone as my night vision is poor, and riding at night used to be great fun street or dirt (no traffic), things hurt on long rides, bones break easy limiting how crazy I can get.

The older I get, the more riding seems to be an obsession, its almost all I think about.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #700
King_Troll68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I took the motorcycle safety riding course at about 27 or 28 but i never had or been around motorcycles in my life, i finally bought a bike at 30 and rode it at 31(first bike). Time and money were the factors for me as i had to pay for school and getting into my career in my twenties so bike just wern't an option then.
King_Troll68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #701
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinman22 View Post
Went to bank and got a student loan of $600. Went to a M/C dealer and bought a bike.
ROFL
Old 03-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #702
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,746
I'm close... I started at 27. I'm 28 now.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #703
rtheb
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I started at 30.
rtheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #704
wipfel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
1. I got interested in riding on a whim having never ridden anything other than a bicycle and 4-wheeler. Figured it looked fun and decided to give it a try. Took the MSF course with a friend, and got my first bike a couple of months after turning 35.

2. First bike was a used 2009 VStar 950 with around 4500 miles.

3. My only regret is if I'd started when I was younger, I probably would be learning faster than I am now. Being older makes me more cautious...meaning I ride like a paw-paw sometimes.

4. Had the VStar 950 for a year and bought a 2010 Concours 14 with around 4700 miles.
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #705
HouseOfDexter
Flatlander

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipfel View Post
1. I got interested in riding on a whim having never ridden anything other than a bicycle and 4-wheeler. Figured it looked fun and decided to give it a try. Took the MSF course with a friend, and got my first bike a couple of months after turning 35.

2. First bike was a used 2009 VStar 950 with around 4500 miles.

3. My only regret is if I'd started when I was younger, I probably would be learning faster than I am now. Being older makes me more cautious...meaning I ride like a paw-paw sometimes.

4. Had the VStar 950 for a year and bought a 2010 Concours 14 with around 4700 miles.
Nothing wrong with riding like a paw-paw...as long as you know that if you need to take that corner sharper...you can do it...

Matter of fact when your younger...your risk evaluation is all out of whack...(the reason youngsters make great soldiers)...stay safe...
HouseOfDexter is offline   Reply With Quote