Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #61
MotoKat
Whine Cooler.

Oddometer: 29,128
You want me to admit I'm over thirty??? Ok, I started riding 3 years ago at age 31. Why? Why the hell not!
2. First bike was an F650ST
3. How do I feel about starting so late? Cheated! Hell if I'd known it was this much fun I would have gotten into riding MANY years ago!
4. What bikes? First was the F650, then I got a Yamaha TTR125L, then sold the F650 and bought a Ninja 250 (the F650 was too heavy for me), then I just sold the Ninja and bought an SV650 a couple of weeks ago.
That's my story!
Kathy
MotoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #62
Socratease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Never touched a bike until 46. I had always wanted to ride but always talked myself out of it because I didn't trust myself not to go nuts and do myself injury. Last summer I finally decided that if I didn't do it soon it wasn't ever going to happen (mid-life crisis, I guess), I figured I had enough maturity now, and I saw a V-Strom 650 and decided that was the bike for me, so I started looking for a beginner bike to learn on. Found a GZ250 on ebay for a song and hauled it to the MSF class in my pickup and learned to ride it. 6 weeks commuting on the baby cruiser and I was bored with it and ready for something bigger and found a local dealer with a black DL650. Dropped it on the way to work the 2nd day out and almost gave it up, it shook my confidence so much. But I worked through it and have 8500mi on it now and am having a blast.
Socratease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #63
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,433
Didn't start after 30, but rejoined the fold at 50, after almost 13 years out of action. Turned 50 in November, bought a used SV650S on eBay, loved it until my knees hurt, traded on a new Wee-Strom. Having a great time, riding to work daily, riding in the evenings, going out on weekends looking for gravel to try to keep my old self upright on.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #64
St. Arbucks
Looking for clues...

Oddometer: 365
I bought my 12GS this spring after a 2 year stint on temporary assignment in San Francisco. First bike in 20 years; I'll be 50 this fall. How do I feel about it? Glad I waited, for one thing. More sense, more of what it takes to survive this awesome sport. Funny - I knew very little about bikes since my Honda CB 360 bit the rust way back when. I just knew that BMW's were 'nice bikes' and that the 1200 GS was a dual sport. OK, I told the salesman, I'll take it. What'd you call it again? Oh, OK. Load it up.

Have 6K on it now and having a ball. Too much fun. Perfect for twisty roads where I live in Western Maryland. My wife says she's doubling my life insurance. My 18 year old son won't talk to me because he's pissed that I have a bike and he doesn't. Hey, he's got a roof over his head. He can get his own bike...when he can pay for it.

2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2007 ST-1300, 1991 KLX-650

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
St. Arbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #65
CraigTransalp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Extension of Independent Character

Bought 1st MC at age 31 (now 46) when my earnings graduated to about $35,000 per year where you could afford $700 for rent, $500 for food, $150 for insurance per month and still afford payments on a new MC Honda Transalp '90 Red.
Friends at work had a nice club to join and I did ride with them almost every week in Ventura, Santa Barbara counties. I rode a lot myself too mostly on Mullholland Hwy around the Rock Store and PCH.
My interests before motorcycling included mountain biking so my riding skill advanced very fast. Annual trips to Laguna Seca were my 1st touring trips. The club had an annual Kernville ride that was amazing. I later lived in Tehachapi in 2004 and rode Spring rides every weekend to Sequoia National Forest.
When you work in aeroospace, you must work/live in the best opportunity to come your way at the time. That takes you in and out of prime riding spaces. So recently, it seems I'm trailering my motorcycles (other MC is XR650L) to the general area instead of leaving from home in Huntington Bch, Ca.
CraigTransalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:46 AM   #66
Ol Rob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
35 and counting

I rode the dirt bikes as a youngster. But my first street bike was a XR650L at age 35. Dualsport was my first impression when I decided I wanted a bike. But riding it to work shook me a bit. It was so light and wind sheer really made me feel unstable over 65mph on highway. I got me a used 650 maxim and new I needed a street bike. from there I went to a 1400 intruder suzuki. Rode that for about one season and made the move to a Harley. I have enjoyed the Harley, as I am a mechanic. I have done everything to it. but they long to be modified. Now I have put the harley up for sale and I intend to buy a 1200gs within the next few weeks. I went and test rode one, AWSOME. I always knew dualsport was where I should be. Time will tell. I will be 40 in February.

"You should look out not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others"
Phil. 2:4
Ol Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:36 PM   #67
rustynail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Just Started (Kinda)

I rode for 2 years on a temporary permit when I was 17-19 on a beautiful blue 1973 Yamaha RD250. I was restricted to country roads by my permit, but that never bothered me a bit. Never got my license until I was 31.

I think it is great to have started again in my early thirties, because if I rode in my twenties I'm fairly certain I would have killed myself.

My first bike now that I am back riding is a KLR 250.
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:20 PM   #68
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Had a cb450 when I was 19, but nothing after that until I was 39. do I feel cheated? Well, yes and no. I raced and toured on bicycles for all of that time, so I reached 40 in excellent health. If I kept riding motorcycles back then I'm sure I'd weigh about 250 lbs and would be a smoker to boot, if I managed to live to see thirty. At 44 I feel (finally!) mature enough to ride a motorbike and stay well within my limits, with nothing to prove to anyone, content to cruise around the back roads, waving to other bikers like I'm running for mayor, not getting ruffled when people scoff at my ATGATT and letting my faster friends leave me in the dust on occassion.
notmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #69
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principiante
I got my first bike at 50.....I was in my friends store looking for chemicals for the hot tub. He had a gorgeous H-D Electroglyde on display in the entry way. I wanted to try this bike, but it is a big bike, big bike. I rode it around the parking lot for a few minutes, but when he suggested that I take it home for the weekend, I didn't even dare drive it through traffic to get it home. I had no idea what I was getting into.....
Oh man, I am so glad you made it into riding without getting killed.

In so many ways you fit the stereotype of the older riders that are getting killed or injured. Older guy, successful in his career, not much time available (by both hours in the week and perceived years in life) but the money to buy whatever they want. No way will they start with a little learner bike and then work their way up in steps.

And, perhaps more significantly, used to being an authority in whatever they do and getting their way - high achiever - whether a Master of the Universe in finance, or, well a surgeon (here's a doc joke: what's the diff between a surgeon and God? God never thinks he's a surgeon....) or whatever. (Hey, I'm a lawyer...)

And so they buy a bigger or hotter bike than a noob has any business getting on, and proceed to get hurt. Sounds like you came close a few times. But they say that if you survive a year, you can ride forever. A least though a Glide is a huge bike, the weight damps what power it has and makes it less twitchy than a much lighter and smaller cc sportbike.

So you learned to ride and congrats to you - there surely have been others in your circumstances who ended up with a nasty surprise!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.

viverrid screwed with this post 07-27-2005 at 07:25 PM Reason: typo
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:13 AM   #70
Zuman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
A nooB at thirty-six

Only two weeks ago, I took the MSF course to satisfy a curiosity that came from having a couple of coworkers buy bikes and from riding bitch with my cute friend on her Harley. I took the completion certificate to the Nevada DMV that very Monday morning and then went shopping. From the time I reserved my spot in the class, I had been surfing the web, and I had developed a huge crush on Benka Pulko's BMW F650. I thought I would be an adventure bike type of person, so the two bikes to try were the F650GS and the Wee-Strom. When I found a new Wee-Strom for $5700, I bought it. I've put almost 400 miles on the red bike in a week and a half.

And I've started wondering if I will ever get up the courage to tell mom and dad; I've already got pictures that I want to send everyone back home. I'm probably so late finding motorcycling because my dad used to rant about how dangerous my uncle and aunt's 900cc touring bike was back in the late seventies when I was young and impressionable.

The Wee-Strom is the first and only bike I've had.
Zuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:46 PM   #71
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuman
And I've started wondering if I will ever get up the courage to tell mom and dad; I've already got pictures that I want to send everyone back home. I'm probably so late finding motorcycling because my dad used to rant about how dangerous my uncle and aunt's 900cc touring bike was back in the late seventies when I was young and impressionable.
Same thing here. My parents hate motorcycles. But they lived east of the Mississippi and I lived west, so there was no way for them to find out. I told them about 5 years after I bought the bike. I told them if I already lived this long riding a bike, that proves they are not dangerous.

murgatroid42 screwed with this post 07-31-2005 at 08:05 PM
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:49 AM   #72
CepatDomi
Mandacan

Oddometer: 9
Hello there,
I got my lisence at the age off 51.
I have bought a Honda Nx650 even before I took my first lesson.
Every time i'm on it I regret i did not get it earlier.
greetings from Holland
CepatDomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:27 PM   #73
ghostdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Was 29, am 33 now. Only riding for 4 years and have a measly 26K to show for it. This summer alone I put on over 10K and have a few more months of riding weather left. It's been actually tougher breaking loose of some of the fears. I guess the older I get I think more about the consequences so I am not quite as fearless as if I started riding when I was 18 or something. Maybe that's the challenge I enjoy so much. Learning something new all the time and getting better everyday. I started out right away with decent riding gear and helmet so maybe the age helped there. Plus had some very good influences around me. I really enjoy it more than any car. I have a '95 Toyota Corolla that amazing keep rolling along with minimal upkeep. So more to spend on the bike. If it wasn't for my dog and winter I'd be happy with no car. Someday onward to Alaska!
ghostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:20 AM   #74
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Bump

I got my endorsement and started riding in 2003 at 38. It was the best thing I did for myself. Odds are if you find me staring off into space, its because I'm halfway to Alaska.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:02 PM   #75
scsvstrom
Ride Places....See Stuff!

Oddometer: 32
I started riding at age 16, with a 1966 X-6 Hustler and progressed through 12 different bikes in the next 6 years. H-2 Kawasaki's, Rm Suzukis, DT Yamaha's.
Then I met the girl of my dreams, she didn't like riding, and I didn't think I needed it, so I gave bikes up. Fast forward 20 years, the girl of my dreams turned into the woman of my nightmares......ending in divorce. I promptly went bike shopping. Now at 42 years old, the friends that were still riding were riding cruisers. I test rode a few, but with the last street bike I ever owned being a two-stroke triple, kitted out in cafe racer equipment (mid-seventy's), the cruiser style bikes just didn't get my adreneline going like I had remembered, way back when. So I decided on a Sv650 as my reentering bike. I rode it 7000 miles in 6 months and have been hooked ever since. (7 years) I moved on to a Tl1000, but I knew I was going to really hurt myself on that one. Traded it in on a new 2002 VSTROM and have put 25,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years. Just got back from a 3800 mile trip to Colorado from Indiana last month. I've come to a conclusion: At some point I will again be with out a wife or SO, but I will never be with out a bike again!!!
scsvstrom is online now   Reply With Quote