Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 06:54 AM   #91
Joebmetro
10 KTM 690E

Oddometer: 1,466
I started riding off road at 45 last April, first bike was a 91 KLR 250. First event was this years Hancock Quarry run where kickstarting the KLR after my many mishaps kicked my ass.
I bought a KTM 450 EXC 2 weeks later.

I Did a desert ride in Vegas 8/05 with KTM factory rider Kellon Walch in the Nelson Hills.

We did the TCMC dual sport last week and we are going to the Meteor dual sport tommorow ( both in southern NJ.)

5 of us are going to Vegas in January for a weekend of riding.

I'm looking foward to trying an enduro next year.
Joebmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:59 AM   #92
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,176
I started riding in May 2004 at age 43. After about a year of thinking about it seriously, I finally convinced my wife to let me buy a new 2004 1150GS in May of '04. After a few weeks she agreed to ride on the back with me. 1500 miles later she (age 40) wanted her own bike. I bought her a new '03 F650GS in July '04. Although we were both avid bicycle riders and have logged over 5000 miles a year on our road bicycles, she had never ridden a motorcycle before. I tought her to ride a motorcycle on that F650 in an elementary school parking lot. She took the MSF course as I did earlier. In the next twelve month we logged 12K on our bikes. This summer we sold her F650 and bought her a K1200RS. Since we both started about 18 months ago we have ridden about 26K miles. It is a blast, we have traveled to areas in the southwest we have never been before and we have both lived here for over 25 years.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #93
runswithbeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
This is a day of firsts. This is my first post and bought my first bike two days ago a 97 f650. I am 48 and have a grand total of about 1k miles of riding between a yamaha 225, KTM650 and a Transalp. Came into work sucks on Friday with an uncontrollable grin when they asked about the bike. Truely a fun ride home... not long enough. It will take getting used to starting the engine as it is carbed and not happy to turn over. Been to the f650 site for info, but like most women they have their quirks.
Did I say that I almost single again after 21 years, and no this is NOT a mid life crisis thing.
runswithbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #94
MissFenderFine
Now Offically De-n00bed!

Oddometer: 1,260
Does anyone know about the Honda Rebel? Don't poke fun of me...I'm short!

Also, the Yamaha Virago 250?

Sat on a Rebel today...it fit me just right. Haven't sat on the Yammie yet.

Taking the MSC next weekend. :)

Oh...and I'm over 40 and just now learning to ride!

Sometimes I'm here...sometimes I'm not.
MissFenderFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #95
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFenderFine
Does anyone know about the Honda Rebel? Don't poke fun of me...I'm short!

Also, the Yamaha Virago 250?

Sat on a Rebel today...it fit me just right. Haven't sat on the Yammie yet.

Taking the MSC next weekend. :)

Oh...and I'm over 40 and just now learning to ride!
Get a used bike for your first bike. The Honda Rebel hasn't changed in years. You should be able to find a hardly used one in good condition. Let someone else take the depreciation hit; you should be able to sell it for nearly what you pay for it. If it fits you, it's good for you; the Rebel is a great starter bike.

Eventually, when you get a few thousand miles experience, you might want a larger bike if you take longer trips on the interstate. Remember that your first bike is not your last bike. But do not start with a big bike and expect to "grow into it". That's a recipe for disaster.

Take the MSC course, get a bike that you are comfortable with now, ride it often, and enjoy it. You are approaching motorcycling the right way.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:57 PM   #96
runswithbeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
Let me say welcome to the Asylum!! And also from one female rider to another.
Well, now we know your gender, but I was refering to the bike as having quirks, not me... the "package" rests on the seat, but is not behind me. Appreciate being welcomed to the Asylum and looking forward to new adventures.
runswithbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #97
MissFenderFine
Now Offically De-n00bed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
Get a used bike for your first bike. The Honda Rebel hasn't changed in years. You should be able to find a hardly used one in good condition. Let someone else take the depreciation hit; you should be able to sell it for nearly what you pay for it. If it fits you, it's good for you; the Rebel is a great starter bike.

Eventually, when you get a few thousand miles experience, you might want a larger bike if you take longer trips on the interstate. Remember that your first bike is not your last bike. But do not start with a big bike and expect to "grow into it". That's a recipe for disaster.

Take the MSC course, get a bike that you are comfortable with now, ride it often, and enjoy it. You are approaching motorcycling the right way.
Thanks, Murgatroid! I appeciate your vote of confidence! I sat on some dual sports but didn't feel comfortable with having to touch the ground with my tippie toes only!

Old 11-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #98
MissFenderFine
Now Offically De-n00bed!

Quote:
Good choice in my opinion. It's what I started with. I agree, get a used one. If riding is for you, you'll trade it in when your ready to move up. Feel free to PM me and we can talk via phone if you wish.
Thanks, Gwen. Cool that you started on a Rebel too. I'm not ready to buy just yet. Someone on the KLR650 board told me about 2 Sherpa's for sale in Charlotte. Police Demo bikes...1500 miles on a 2000....$1500. I might check that one out too. Sounds like a good deal. They have two of them, the other is a 2002. I'm thinking I might need some experience under my belt before I try doing off road riding...

Old 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #99
BMWBard
Mystic Rider

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Thanks, Murgatroid! I appeciate your vote of confidence! I sat on some dual sports but didn't feel comfortable with having to touch the ground with my tippie toes only!
YEEPS! As an equally short-inseamed lady I agree, reinforce, and applaud your discomfort!

NEVER get a bike you can't get enough foot on the gorund to control. You will SO regret it some day!

That said, just in case you don't know it, a lot of bikes CAN be lowered. My baby was lowered by a short shock, forks dropped as far as could be, and a different seat type. (Make sure the side stand is also changed or your bike may have a tendency to drop over in windy conditions; and see if the center stand can be changed too. Mine wasn't, and I had a H###ck of a time learning how to get it up to center at first. Some will scrape the center stand on the ground at times if not changed too, I hear, anyway, other folks here have more experience on the ins and outs of the procedure.)
Old 11-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #100
G-man17
The Devil Drives!

Oddometer: 2,532
Puke Since this is about the kind of bikes you ride etc .....

I thought I would chime in,

I began riding this year, 2005, but that is not to say that I had never riddnen before. I did--I had a scary incident (not mine but a friend) that sent me home with my tail between my legs. I was too stupid and too immature for something that required total concentration to enjoy.

I went to law school met a guy who had been a Ranger in the army and rode a bike to and from school, simple transportation, but he had that cool and all of us know what I am talking about.

When I was 27 I met a guy that rode cross country with his dad--I was in awe. I wanted that experience. I wanted those stories, I wanted to be able to say this is what I had done but, I still questioned my own . . . . He said to me that anyone can really become a good rider but that one should take the motorcycle safety course as a place to begin.

In 1996 my son was born, I knew I wanted to do that trip with him. Now at the age of 41 with four children and a wife, I took the motorcycle safety course. I love my kids and want to be there for them but, this was something I needed to do for myself. I loved every minute of the MSF course torqueing that 125cc bike up third gear--the insturctor asked me not to inform that I had broken the rules--but it was great fun on the tarmac in riding gear in the sweltering heat and humidity of August.

I passed; yes indeed, I passed. I had taken tests before--no really, ones that mattered like the bar exam, the series 7 exam, the insurance exam and countless others but the one that I took on the final day of the MSF course I think mattered more to me than any I had taken to date. (OK my priorites are arse backwards)

But this is a longwinded way of say I purchased a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Why did I buy this bike? Because it was the BMW that I could afford. Huh? Well it is clear that Suzuki wants this bike to be their Adventure bike their "Long Way Round" bike.

Did my Mother know? Well hey, that is a really funny and intersting story. My wife told my sister I was taking the MSF course--women! My sister promptly told my mom. She did not confront me. She did come to baby-sit one day and went looking in the garage. Each of my children had been warned to remain mum on the cycle. Low and behold my Mom found my baby under a tarp. She promptly came out and said to my six year old daughter: "Well, I see your father bought a motorcycle!" My daughter said: Aah, no Grandma, that's a horse." My mom said: "No. In the garage it is a motorcycle." To which my daughter persisted: "Grandma your not suppose to see that--It's a horse." Confronted with that my Mother could not be mad. Confronted with that I story, I became very worried about what is in store for me with that kid and her quick mind.

Now I ride everywhere on the bike. I ride to the grocery store on it to the post office. I ride to the wine shop and Starbucks on it. I make up trips to go on and ride the bike, hell I have even thought of going back to church just so that I would have another place to ride the bike. I never want to go back to a car as my primary mode of transportation. No I am too old to become a racer but I want to be the best rider I can be.

I long for those big trips--I have yet to do one, but there will be many. Someday I will post my pictures and my story on this site and I hope they're up to snuff.

Thanks for the time and I hope to see you on the road.

G-man.
G-man17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:50 PM   #101
BMWBard
Mystic Rider

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man17
I thought I would chime in,

Now I ride everywhere on the bike. I ride to the grocery store on it to the post office. I ride to the wine shop and Starbucks on it. I make up trips to go on and ride the bike, hell I have even thought of going back to church just so that I would have another place to ride the bike. I never want to go back to a car as my primary mode of transportation. No I am too old to become a racer but I want to be the best rider I can be.

G-man.
HA! JUST the right attitude, guy! Welcome! Looking forward to more from you.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #102
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Thanks, Gwen. Cool that you started on a Rebel too. I'm not ready to buy just yet. Someone on the KLR650 board told me about 2 Sherpa's for sale in Charlotte. Police Demo bikes...1500 miles on a 2000....$1500. I might check that one out too. Sounds like a good deal. They have two of them, the other is a 2002. I'm thinking I might need some experience under my belt before I try doing off road riding...
If they are Kawasaki Super Sherpas, in good shape, they are bargains. Consider them. There are many ADVriders who are looking for these. PM Linzi if you want more info and a woman's perspective on it.

Again, if you don't feel comfortable on it, don't get it. But the Kaw Super Sherpa is an ideal beginner dualsport bike.

murgatroid42 screwed with this post 11-14-2005 at 12:01 AM
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #103
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,270
Thumbs down

I was 40 (now 54) and never had an interest in riding.

1st bike was a '90 R100RT that I bought in Los amgeles sight unseen from the MOA News and rode cross-country to the MOA rally that year in Du Quoin,Il.
Well at least that was the plan! I made it across the Mojave and the trouble started.Voltmeter was dropping quickly and i headed south toward Phoenix. It quit completely at 9 a.m. and an hour later someone finally stopped to help.We unloaded his loaded pickup bed,rolled the bike up a hill, and backed hil truck up the hill and guided the bike onto the bed.Ho took me all the way to Phoenix(nearest dealer) from northern Arizona and I gave him $100.I rode all the way in the back with bike.2 days in Phoenix and I was on the road again with a new battery and voltage regulator.On the way to Oklahoma City same problem.Got ther ejust b4 closing on Saturday and waited the 3 days until open again on TuesdayNew battery and something else.Off again and lite and voltmeter going again.Called BMWNA for the 100th time and they said to take the bike to Dallas and Perry would find the problem. believe it was BMW of Dallas. They kindly took me to the airport and i flew home to Orlando,repacked and fley to St Louis and drove to the Rally.Perry had to ride the bike to simulate the problem with meters and guages attached to locate the problem.The wiring harness running beneath the tank and over the frame was being pinched..so that was replaced along with the requesite battery and whatnot and he actually trailered my bike here with BMW paying the tab.
Kept that bike intil I married-big mistake.Both the marriage and selling the bike!
Have had 6 Harleys.1 Ducati 750 Paso,1 Kawa Concours,and 5 BMWs,including the '05 GS that will be delivered next week.
1 accident 2 blks from home at a 4 wat stop-idiot on right pulled out in front and I hammered her door broadside in 1st gear.I lost.That was after I had ridden to Milwaukee and back for the Harley 98th anniv.
The GS is the perfect ride for my retirement in Mexico next year.I have never owned a crotchrocket and it's probably a good thing I waited until 40 to start!
John
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:13 AM   #104
jet7271
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wicked who started riding after age 30

my first bike was a rupp 4 1/2 hp minibike as a pre-teen. i had a lambretta serveta scooter in college 150cc i believe. i'm 51 now and bought a suzuki 1K vstrom 2 months ago. took the msf riders course and readily admit i'm a novice. put 3000 miles so far, and am planning to ride 1500 miles on it over thanksgiving weekend to see family back in TN. my wife is beginning to talk to me again after the purchase. i've always wanted a bike, and 3$ gas helped rationalize it for me. loving it so far. commute most days to work, 45 mpg is twice any other vehicle i own! jet
jet7271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #105
BirdmanH54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

I'll go first.

Not sure why you started with 2.... But

2. I bought a 2002 VRod via Ebay after I saw the bike at a Harley dealership.

3. I am glad I waited! Having the time to develop patience has made it so that I can enjoy riding and not dying (really dying) to be the fastest. Understanding mortality seriously helps.

4. I put 15K on the VRod in a year and at about 10 months in I bought an ST1300. I finally had enough bar runs so I sold the VRod and bought a Ulysses. So that's the two in the garage, a ST and a Uly.
BirdmanH54 is offline   Reply With Quote