Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #1576
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
AH: I wasn't really chastising you so much as I was surprised that the facility and the group leaders didn't control the speed differentials and passing lines more rigidly. It actually looked like you had a blast.

Hey, you can't help it that the Pani is so f'n fast... ;)
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #1577
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
AH: I wasn't really chastising you so much as I was surprised that the facility and the group leaders didn't control the speed differentials and passing lines more rigidly. It actually looked like you had a blast.

Hey, you can't help it that the Pani is so f'n fast... ;)
Took no offense. I probably deserve a little chastising. Especially for some of the passes I didn't include in the vid. ;) But no one complained. All the passes were safe with plenty of room.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #1578
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

A little pre-track background. My ex bought me a custom full suit a couple years ago. I wore it once or twice. Heroic...hmmm...I don't want to slam 'em, because I think they have a good design, but let's just say they have had some teething issues and some major QC issues, too. Like I ordered Kang, but got Cow. They made good on the mistake, though. Forgivable. The short sleeves, though....that's ridiculous. Just look at how short those sleeves are! Ok, fine, whatever, I'm wearing gloves most the time with the suit.

Then on the way from LA to BW it got COLD. Really cold. then I looked down and the zippers had split. Jesus Christ.

Rode the rest of the way to Buttonwillow freezing my ass off. Then spent three hours on a craptacularly bad internet connection googling 'how to fix a broken zipper'. I ended up mending it, just barely, but was stressing quite a bit thinking what the hell I'd do at the track if it split open again.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #1579
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Have a new long-distance setup, too. Michael at Britkit (exclusive US distributor of Kriega luggage & packs) sent me out an R30 backpack just because he's a super cool dude and loved that I was living out of the Kriega US 20 for the entire trip. He also couldn't stand that I was using an inferior backpack that was about as waterproof as my jeans. So when I got to my 'permanent' home, this bad boy was waiting.

Only problem was I was in NorCal with killer new waterproof/bombproof backpack and my bike was in SoCal. The separation didn't last very long. The neoprene helmet cover Michael sent made flying on Southwest with my new Shoei (finally ditched the Bell) a pleasant and professional experience. And it kind of made me feel like I was carrying Darth Vader's head through security.

The backpack has a pretty slick harness system that snaps in quite positively--and takes a lot of the weight off of your shoulders:

The straps are made from a firm, comfortable padding, the added reflectors increase visibility and probably the best thing is that there aren't a bunch of straps that flap and slap around when you're doing 90.

Here's the US20 (Doc Martin's inside) and R30 Pack (that's my Revit Jacket and some other shit stuffed into there) mounted and ready for battle in LA traffic. (Note the way the backpack rests on the tail bag--means that the bike is carrying the load, not your upper body.)

I can't say enough great things about Kriega gear. Clearly these guys get it--they live and breathe motorcycles and travel gear. You can see it in every latch, zipper (ahem, Heroic!), strap and seam. And the fact that they sent me a few hundred dollars worth of gear goes to show ya that these guys are simply cool motherfuckers, too. They ain't in the business just to make a buck. They make products that have to be completely dependable, reliable, impervious and versatile.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #1580
prooney377
Pete Rooney

Oddometer: 46
Kriega Kit

I can vouch for the Kriega kit too. I've had the R30 for about 4 years now. I was using it for a while but the first time I used it in the rain it let a little water seep in. When i checked the waterproof inner there was a very small fold in the lining that was the culprit. I e-mailed Kriega (a relatively local company to me) and they sent me a replacement that I received within a couple of days and an apology from them. First class customer service and I have had no problem with the bag since. They even come with a ten year guarantee in the UK. As you say, the harness takes a lot of the weight off your shoulders but also, my rear seat is higher than the front and the bottom of the bag sits on this meaning I hardly notice it is there.

DSCF1052 by prooney377, on Flickr
prooney377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #1581
StevenF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
After several weeks reading all 104 exhilarating and enjoyable pages, it's finally come to an end :( When is your next adventure beginning, so you can keep us 'keyboard dreamers' entertained?

The pictures throughout the report are incredible, each and every one of them. You certainly have an eye for a good photograph. I particularly liked the images from New Orleans; the handheld night shots gave a very atmospheric and personalised style to the shots.

Reading your report has inspired me to drag out my 22 year old CBR from the garage and get her ready for the spring. I'm almost finished and can't wait to ride her (it's been over a year). Here she is two years ago and is still immaculate (minus the graphs).

My girlfriend is moving to Spain in a few weeks to work for 6-12 months, so I'm hoping for a few weeks in Western Europe on the bike.

If you do plan a Europe trip, get yourself over to Scotlad and sample our beautiful scenery and roads to match.

StevenF screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 03:53 PM
StevenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #1582
lucati
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Triumph needs to get off their butts and make a 1075.
exactly!
lucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #1583
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
stumbled upon this.

I needs me some antihero swag.

here's a couple of asian skateboarders.
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #1584
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Great post, Steven. I'm happy you made it through thus far and it's great to see a classic sportbike brought out of the shadows!

Mint Julep: AntiHero gear coming right up.

http://www.zazzle.com/antihero_t-235723068947999891

Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #1585
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,391
Sweet. Ordered one in grey, changed to Hanes Comfort Blend (eco somethin or other stuff) and used COUPON CODE: PATSHIRTSALE to knock off 20%

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG

fifthcircle screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:25 AM
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #1586
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Are the shirts also an idea you came up with to help out on your Euro trip?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #1587
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Nice! Thanks, fifthcircle! You have the first ever AntiHero shirt! :)

Rico: The idea was all Mint Juleps. Course any of the proceeds will go towards getting me to Europe, but it's pretty clear that I'm going to need to self-back the trip or get corporate sponsoring (Hendrick's Gin, perhaps?) :) (To put it in perspective--the book/eBook sales to date would only cover about 3 days of expenses.) One very cool corporate sponsor has made an offer already, so for now any side-projects I do will be purely for enjoyment and fun.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #1588
DigitalDissent
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I ordered one too, thanks for all the time you put into this RR.

I also ordered the ebook but I don't own any Apple devices and it looks like hell on Android and the epub readers I tried on my PC (running nix), So take this only as a suggestion, try and publish digitally in an open source format accessible to more than just Ipads.
DigitalDissent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #1589
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Ha, AntiHero shirt on its way here.

My contribution to the EU tour de AntiHero.

Cheers,
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #1590
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

EDIT: "When 140mph you reach, look as good you will not."

SFKLR screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 04:40 PM
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote