Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #1786
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Of reflective material?
Reflective could be v.2. :) Let me see how v1 works out first. This is a taste of the logo (ignore the photobucket Jaggies):

AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #1787
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Back to Austin!

Once off the bus, we drooled over the Rs, grabbed our bags of gear from the bowels of the bus and filed in through this door:

It was around this point it became overwhelming that I was the only person taking pictures (other than the Ducati Photographers). Maybe everyone else has a photographic memory, but I broke protocol and snapped more than a few pictures to document what the 'behind the red door' experience was like.

AM briefing was pretty cool. Claudio covered a lot of the 1199 Highlights and disclosed information that didn't end up in the press kit. I took notes, though. Fortunately/unfortunately I didn't disclose any of it. I think there was some info that Ducati didn't want made public, so some powerpoint slides went too fast for most hands.

That's Hayden, btw:

Old 04-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #1788
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Though I brought my custom short sleeve rockstar leathers, Ducati had some gear waiting for me that fit perfectly.

I wasn't guaranteed a spot, though. I was still at the bottom of the press totem pole.

Motorcycling's equivalent of suits of armor:

Then we go through the second red door:

Hayden preparing to lead the Journalists in Group A around the Circuit:

Predators waiting to disclose the purpose of their patience:

Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #1789
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Humans not sure what they're getting into:

Almost ready:

So sick!!!

Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #1790
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Outstanding!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #1791
Knoen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Back in december you asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

Can anyone name this song? I've heard it before, but have no idea who the original artist was (or who did the remix).

Video
You probably figured which song it is by now, but if you didn't -it's 'Lady' by Chromatics. Hope it brings back some memories in that case.

Really enjoyed your RR Antihero. BTW, wouldn't you say that a trackday with Spies and co. should be included in a $1900 service? Sounds about right to me...
Knoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #1792
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoen View Post
You probably figured which song it is by now, but if you didn't -it's 'Lady' by Chromatics. Hope it brings back some memories in that case.

Really enjoyed your RR Antihero. BTW, wouldn't you say that a trackday with Spies and co. should be included in a $1900 service? Sounds about right to me...
Thanks for IDing the song! Does bring back a lot of memories, as does that avo drink. And I think you're on to something--every service should include a track day!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #1793
Beltway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
In related news:

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...as-ducati-ceo/

Been enjoying the RR since the beginning, Dennis. Thanks for taking us along on your journey.
Beltway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #1794
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
In related news:

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...as-ducati-ceo/

Been enjoying the RR since the beginning, Dennis. Thanks for taking us along on your journey.
That's great news for Ducati! I could see first-hand that a lot of the success of his organization was due to his hands-on approach. Hopefully as CEO he can still battle it out in the trenches, as it was inspiring to see him work.

I'm happy you've enjoyed the ride, too!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #1795
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
More!!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #1796
thisisbenji
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I have to say your RR is inspiring, the crazy thing is no matter how lustful your bike is, I'm more envious of your journey. That being said Ducati should cut you a check as you've single handily sold me on the brand.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #1797
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, Benji. I'd say things like, "there is something mythical about being on a Ducati that goes beyond anything I've owned," but to anyone who's never been on one, it sounds hyperbolic, even sycophantic. Because of that, I think Ducati is well aware that they have an addict on their hands that costs them nothing.

The real head-scratcher, though, is I can't figure out is why, KTM, BMW (or even MV) hasn't been bold enough to invite me to ride one of their bikes. Being that I'm not paid by anyone, I'm an honest and free (both literally and figuratively) agent. Hell, I'd be happy even to take a 991 to Alaska or hoon a BR-Z rallycross style in Death Valley while being chased by rabid coyotes. I suppose those one page ads in Car and Driver or Motorcyclist are far more interesting to prospective customers, though.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #1798
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

More? Ok.

So I believe I mentioned that Ducati had a film crew at the event taking pics and videos. They had the task of putting together three films. One was this:

They were also there to film me, which I think I mentioned. Lots of pictures, lots of fun. I just went with it and didn't even ask why. Not sure what their third film is/will be.

This is Gabe. Very cool dude with some mad photo/video skills.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #1799
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

I was told that there were more journalists than bikes, but that they'd try to get me out for at least one session.

The first group of journalists went out on the Rs, behind Hayden. Since no one had been on the track - and since absolutely zero on-bike videos existed, no one knew the layout. Nicky apparently took the lead/follow very seriously, and promptly rode away from everyone. Pretty f'in funny.

The second group went out and the same thing happened. I sat, waiting with my gear, remembering what it was like to always be picked dead fucking last.

Then Tim came in, said they have a bike for me and gave me a Ducati suit to wear (they must have seen my embarrassingly short Heroic sleeves), that happened to be a perfect size sans chest protector. Fuck yyyes, and fuck all you people at Campbell Jr. High/Independence who picked my skinny ass last. Being given a key to an R and a green flag at CotA was a Rudolph the Red-Nosed-Reindeer moment.

As the previous group rested and rejoiced and recounted their track stories, I suited up.

AntiHero screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 12:14 AM
Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #1800
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
...and then?
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote