Oddometer: 1,045
Can't forget the real-life Banksy (back in Indianapolis):

AntiHero screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 09:42 AM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #317
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Prior to the political conversation that did not in any way make me feel like a Kennedy I ventured into town and ate at this completely unexpected restaurant called Cerulean. I've never been to RI, but I kind of felt it'd look like this:

I had sushi:

Scallops and delicious local swine:

And some overly salty lamb sausage that was tempered somewhat by the cantaloupe balls that gave the impression of eggs and sausage:

The meal was somewhat soured by the douchebag pharmaceutical sales rep who sat a couple seats away at the bar who moved his wedding ring from his left to right hand and then started hitting on anything that jiggled and a few things that didn't. If you don't want to be married, just don't get married.....
Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #318
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

And the flipside of Indiana?

Vanilla Pride, red white and blue. Hmmm....thinly veiled racism or just a clever chiasmus with Black Ice? I wonder. Then again, vanilla is brown, so it must be the latter. :)

AntiHero screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 02:39 PM
Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #319
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Can't forget the real-life Banksy (back in Indianapolis):

My own personal conclusion is that if we want to change the world we just need to focus on what we love and do what we do best. In the process the world will become a happier, safer, more peaceful place because of all the great heirloom tomatoes, interesting needlepoint, metalwork, BBQ'd sausages or paintings that get created because of it. NPR and Fox News just make people think they're involved and changing the world, but nothing ever comes of it except feelings of gloom and doom, anxiety and stress.

Doing what we love, swinging on swings, riding motorbikes and cuddling the people we adore has a much more positive effect on the net-happiness of the world than agonizing over whatever it is that they talk about on TV or the radio. Just a thought....
I've been lurking, in awe of the guy on the Ducati who just goes but this resonates with me in a way that is rare and true. Write a book and share your love of what you're doing with a wider audience that needs to be reminded of these things. You do have the gift.

I'm heading to the Duc dealer tomorrow and will be catching up soon....like the scene in Forrest Gump when he's jogging and slowly builds a crowd, but we'll all be on Ducati's wearing t-shirts that say "Anti-hero Happens".
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #320
KLM 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I like your style, dude.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #321
Ross1969
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Great report and photo's - 150 miles in a day on my Ducati Monster is a bum killer - you are deffo a Hero!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #322
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,017
Quote:
And the flipside of Indiana?

Vanilla Power, red white and blue. Hmmm....thinly veiled racism or just a clever chiasmus with Black Ice? I wonder. Then again, vanilla is brown, so it must be the latter. :)

I vote chiasmus.
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #323
zhukov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:

I'm wondering; as you traveled across the breadbasket of our country did you notice the evidence of drought, as has been reported by our excessively hand-wringing Fourth Estate. Sure doesn't look like it's a problem in Indy.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #324
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov View Post
I'm wondering; as you traveled across the breadbasket of our country did you notice the evidence of drought, as has been reported by our excessively hand-wringing Fourth Estate. Sure doesn't look like it's a problem in Indy.
It's bad in most of Indiana, I can post pictures if Anti didn't get any.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #325
OneBall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303

Your man credentials are reinstated
OneBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #326
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBall View Post

Your man credentials are reinstated
Says the guy with the one ball. No malice intended, just could not resist the opportunity.

Ok, back to regular excellent programming.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #327
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Hmmm....roles and role-playing and how much do we all do this? Are we just the sum of all the roles we play? My guess is that things like what bike you ride place you in a community, and like all communities, each one has societal norms. That may be why you're unlikely to see HD guys dressed in race leathers and full face helmets, or why so many adventure riders are either on BMWs or KTMs: because "that's how everyone does it." The norms of adventure riding say you need a certain dual sport bike although there are plenty of people who have gone rtw on all kinds of bikes. That's one of the reasons I am so happy to see this ride report....for once here's someone going on a long ride on a sportbike...my favorite kind of bike. We say "get the bike you really want" and that also determines to a degree how you're going to ride, and who with. No one buys a Sportster so they can run with a bunch of canyon carvers, eh? And look at how many people are amazed that you're doing a tour on a Duc. I am wondering though how much our appreciation for a particular bike is about the bike itself, or about the role we will play when we have the bike. Can these be separated? I'm not sure. But back to roles....we grow up being admonished to act. "Act your age!" "Act like a salesman, engineer, cop, etc." "Act nice." We grow up being told to act, to put on various roles. When we act the role, do we become the role? Does the experience change us? Do we incorporate the roles into our selfhood? I think we can shift into some roles as the need arises. Then I guess the core person is what remains when not in any roles. Sometimes I think that in the times we live in we are asked to don so many roles so often that we lost touch with that core of ourselves, and that core is what people tend to experience when they chuck all the other roles and just ride. And ride. And ride. Then they really only have one role: the traveler, and maybe when they can interact with the world this way it can just be with themselves, without all the other role layers society asks us to wear. Wow, this has gone off someplace I didn't foresee. Apologies to all if the above is boring or stupidly obvious....my only excuse was that the ride report is so good it just made me sit down and ponder for awhile.
Blader54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #328
bmh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Blader54 well put.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #329
SevenFifty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Great RR, waiting for the next chapter...
SevenFifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #330
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Blader, that's exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. We all play the roles and get so caught up in what we're supposed to be doing that we rarely question what we should be doing. We lose particles of ourselves when we conform to what we estimate to be expected of us. And over time those particles add up. Pondering, thinking, questioning, validating and sometimes rejecting those norms is what's needed for progress. Hell, someone at sometime survived an accident that ripped the sleeve of his jacket off and, after careful examination said, 'fuck it--I don't need sleeves,' cut the other one off with his Buck knife, picked his bike up and rode off.

And a whole culture was born out of that one single act.