User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #376
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
a safety read

AH- I came across this on another website. Give it a look..

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/...now-total-six/
oldtouring B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #377
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Laugh W.t.f. ?

In other news - Italy seems to finally be recovering from a major vino shortage it fell into between March 16,2012 and July 12, 2012.
FatTirePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #378
r3mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I stopped in at the local dealer to get some brake fluid and sat on a panigale. I'm the proud owner of a BMW k1200rs, but my admiration goes to you for riding that bike the miles and places you have. Simply outstanding.
r3mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #379
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
It just went on and on and on.

I rode around getting lost and every time I stopped I felt vulnerable, that at any moment zombies would start pouring out of the abandoned buildings to eat me alive. But for the most part, as you can see from the pictures--everything was just desolate. Which was EERIE. No simile or metaphor required to describe it: Detroit IS post-apocalyptic. It's awesome because of the gravity and catholic nature of the decay, which you would expect in Chernobyl, but Michigan?

That's not to say that there weren't signs of life and hope and prosperity and activity. I had dinner that night at Slo's BBQ, which was as busy (or busier) than any restaurant I'd ever been to in a city. I waited 45 minutes for a solo spot at the bar. So there's life there, but it's in tiny little sections....

The majority of the city felt like a 3rd-person-shooter backdrop.
Damn. Detroit looks like a scene from the Walking Dead. That's pretty sad to see in this day and age. Keep the rubber spinning.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #380
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
I have to close out Detroit on a positive note before I start on Canada….so here's the final chapter and we can get on with the Great White North! (And then to NY and then back to CDN).

Having been underwhelmed by museums in more than one or two cities across the US, I wasn’t sure what to expect from my visit to The Detroit Institute of Art. But I needed a sanctuary and there were one, two, three, four paintings I needed to see. Now, the DIA is no Louvre (which is a good thing), but neither is it SF MoMa. (With artwork valued at around 1 Billion you'd think eventually people would stop robbing liquor stores and move in for the big score....)

One of the most popular 'attractions' of the museum is a large work by Diego Rivera. Though he thought that art should be public (meaning not in a gallery, his best work (a fresco) was painted inside a museum, which was a good call for him....perhaps he knew the spray can was coming?!

The work consists of 27 panel murals that glorify the city's manufacturing and labor force of the 1930s and celebrate the value of unionized labor (Rivera was a Marxist) that without a doubt helped make the city what it was then, but also contributed a great deal to where it ended up. (Hmmm...Communism in the USSR dies about the same time the auto industry/union power in the US does....coincidence, conspiracy or just the fate of a labor system that's not aligned with a free market economy?)

I'm not a huge fan of murals. But the composition and structure reminded me of Egyptian tomb paintings (which I do have an odd obsession with). The thing that blows my mind about all of civilization is everything we make today comes from the same places we’d have sourced them from 3500 years ago. Not a single material Detroit workers utilized (then or now) wasn’t available to humans thousands (hundreds of thousands) of years ago, give or take an ice age. Metals existed in the same ores then as they do now, petrol was underneath the sand in the middle east, elastic polymers oozed from the same trees in South America as ooze today....the only thing lacking was a vision (The Pontiac Aztec, for instance!), the ideas to turn those visions into manufacturing realities (assembly lines, unions, supply chains, etc) and the effort required to make it all happen (same then as it is now: sweat).

And then I thought about all of the other technological advancements and industries that are just waiting to be created and assembled through visions and ideas and effort. Everything created in the future exists (the materials at least) for us here and now. Everything is there…everything Detroit needs to regain what it lost is all around them.

But it's their city and they can do what they want. I don’t have to live there and actually like it exactly the way it is.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #381
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

One of the four I came for:

One object that's pretty cool but completely, totally useless:

Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #382
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

I wanted to go see another museum (The Cranbrook Art Museum, which happened to be featuring an exhibit on George Nelson, Herman Miller's legendary design director), but then got lost and then hungry. I ended up at some restaurant with an outside patio and ordered. The fact that the chef clearly was paying homage to Salad Fingers more than made up for the cultural deficit I suffered missing out on Cranbrook.

I like it when the red water comes out. (And come to think of it, my waitress did bear a striking resemblance to Marjorie Stewart Baxter.)

And then I saw Mitt Romney:

And then realized perhaps he'd come to see a very special art exhibit with a not-so-secret message:

AntiHero screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 06:53 AM
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #383
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

And then I returned to my bike to find something out of place:

Aha. Secret Service. Come on! Dressing up in a suit and wearing one of those tiny earpieces with the minuscule telephone chord would have not been any more conspicuous. Not fooling anyone guys....just sayin'.

There was a balcony adjacent to the park I'd parked my bike at and up at the top a makeshift bright-light studio for some sort of Romneyrific interview. And oh, look....I guess the Secret Service gets a 2-for-1 at Banana Republic? Same costume, different guy.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #384
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,190
Have you ever seen the Diego Rivera murals in SF?

http://www.ccsf.edu/NEW/en/about-cit...era-mural.html

BTW, when you get back, maybe we should open up our own joint. We can call it, "The Detroit". It can be a speakeasy in Oakland.

Or not. I'm fine with that too. Just wanted to be the first person to toss out that idea.

JG

BTW, nice getaway. I always listen to my gut...
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #385
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
SS men with blue dots instead of faces ?

Quote:
And then I returned to my bike to find something out of place:
Aha. Secret Service. Come on! Dressing up in a suit and wearing one of those tiny earpieces with the minuscule telephone chord would have not been any more conspicuous. Not fooling anyone guys....just sayin'.

I am curious -- did the secret service guys instruct you to block their faces in the photos ? It would not
have occurred to me to do that, not unless they walked up to me with their Uzi ( or is it an MP5K ? )
lumps in their jackets and told me photos were verboten.

You're a talented writer. As others have mentioned, the gestation of a book is right before our eyes
in this ride report, which is so much more than a report about a ride.

Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to more.

By the way, Route 100 in Vermont and the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire are roads
very much worth riding on a bike like yours.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 12:14 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #386
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
I have to close out Detroit on a positive note before I start on Canada….so here's the final chapter and we can get on with the Great White North! (And then to NY and then back to CDN).

Having been underwhelmed by museums in more than one or two cities across the US, I wasn’t sure what to expect from my visit to The Detroit Institute of Art. But I needed a sanctuary and there were one, two, three, four paintings I needed to see. Now, the DIA is no Louvre (which is a good thing), but neither is it SF MoMa. (With artwork valued at around 1 Billion you'd think eventually people would stop robbing liquor stores and move in for the big score....)

One of the most popular 'attractions' of the museum is a large work by Diego Rivera. Though he thought that art should be public (meaning not in a gallery, his best work (a fresco) was painted inside a museum, which was a good call for him....perhaps he knew the spray can was coming?!

The work consists of 27 panel murals that glorify the city's manufacturing and labor force of the 1930s and celebrate the value of unionized labor (Rivera was a Marxist) that without a doubt helped make the city what it was then, but also contributed a great deal to where it ended up. (Hmmm...Communism in the USSR dies about the same time the auto industry/union power in the US does....coincidence, conspiracy or just the fate of a labor system that's not aligned with a free market economy?)

I'm not a huge fan of murals. But the composition and structure reminded me of Egyptian tomb paintings (which I do have an odd obsession with). The thing that blows my mind about all of civilization is everything we make today comes from the same places we’d have sourced them from 3500 years ago. Not a single material Detroit workers utilized (then or now) wasn’t available to humans thousands (hundreds of thousands) of years ago, give or take an ice age. Metals existed in the same ores then as they do now, petrol was underneath the sand in the middle east, elastic polymers oozed from the same trees in South America as ooze today....the only thing lacking was a vision (The Pontiac Aztec, for instance!), the ideas to turn those visions into manufacturing realities (assembly lines, unions, supply chains, etc) and the effort required to make it all happen (same then as it is now: sweat).

And then I thought about all of the other technological advancements and industries that are just waiting to be created and assembled through visions and ideas and effort. Everything created in the future exists (the materials at least) for us here and now. Everything is there…everything Detroit needs to regain what it lost is all around them.

But it's their city and they can do what they want. I don’t have to live there and actually like it exactly the way it is.

Detroit closed down mostly due to pollution, I could see that from the outskirt of chicago. now the problem merely just simply shift to its neighbor. there is a price for industalization

Old 08-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #387
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Hmmm....I had to google "salad fingers" to get the ref -- gives a whole new shall I say twist to the term 'black comedy' -- continued congrats for the excellent RR

Detroit.....where to begin? I'm sure there are many PhD dissertations out or pending on this.....Your first-hand report was a good read. Where are you off to next?
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #388
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
I am curious -- did the secret service guys instruct you to block their faces in the photos ? It would not
have occurred to me to do that, not unless they walked up to me with their Uzi ( or is it an MP5K ? )
I'm guessing MP5Ks. But fortunately I didn't have one stuck in my face. As for the blue dots....not sure what the protocol is for pictures of them and I definitely don't want to find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Hmmm....I had to google "salad fingers" to get the ref -- gives a whole new shall I say twist to the term 'black comedy' -- continued congrats for the excellent RR

Detroit.....where to begin? I'm sure there are many PhD dissertations out or pending on this.....Your first-hand report was a good read. Where are you off to next?
Salad Fingers is totally disturbing and totally awesome. As to where I am now.....uploading pics as we speak. :)
Old 08-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #389
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
One of the main ideas I got from Shop Class as Soulcraft is that mechanical work puts a bigger cognitive demand on the worker than "office work" usually does. This is some of the jist of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, also. The irony in that is that generally society thinks of "office work" as more intelectually demanding, and manual work less so.

It is interesting to compare Shop Class as Soulcraft to the things Mike Rowe says in his speeches on work.

Cheers,

Mike

^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry. Don't know how this ended up here. I was trying to post it in "The Miracle of Fixing Stuff" thread.
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3

LWRider screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 05:46 AM
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #390
dmweder
Back on the Bike

Oddometer: 31
Keep it coming!