Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #31
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
The desert took a toll on the bike. Both the clutch and the brake were spongy, so I'm guessing a combination of the hi temps and air in the systems from the factory led to needing a flush of both systems.

Fortunately I'm staying about 7 miles away from the only Ducati Dealer in Utah (Salt Lake Motorsports), who had me in and out in less than an hour and all was covered under warranty. Sweet! Thanks guys!

And walking out to ride away, I had another 1199 celebrity status moment:

AntiHero screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 12:58 AM
AntiHero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Last night in SLC. Had some great BBQ and explored aimlessly. Driving around some of the areas Salt Lake City became a bit more charming. There's some beautiful houses and cool neighborhoods for sure, but beyond that the city is just lacking, imho.

I did run across the following tombstone at the Salt Lake City Cemetery that apparently is quite famous. No one really knows the story behind it, but I have to say it's the second best epitaph I've ever seen:

Old 07-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #33
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

The grave is hard to find. At the intersection below you just need to face with your back towards the fence/houses, then walk maybe thirty feet and turn left. I could tell you exactly where it is, but the extra effort makes the reward more worthwhile. Funny enough it'll be the only grave in X-1 with flowers.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #34
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Ended up in a strange part of town and was hungry. With a name like Devil's Daughter I figured it had to be good.

At $5.38 for some brisket and some real hot sauce it was no mistake.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #35
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
And it was around this time of the trip that a curious thing started to happen:

Chicks just LOVE this bike. Over the years on other bikes I've had women blow kisses, one fat drunk girl flopped her jugs out a passenger side window (a memorable, but not pretty sight) and girls here and there who wouldn't otherwise notice glance casually--basically anyone on a bike knows what I'm talking about. Probably the funniest female reaction I ever got happened when I was walking by a black dude in SF who had that modern black panther/Kwanzaa look to him. His ~6 year old daughter looks up at me in my Vanson jacket with helmet in hand and says, "Hiiiiii Mr. Policeman" in this little-girl-flirty-crush voice. If looks could kill, the glare her father (who clearly hated both white guys AND cops) gave me would have put me six feet under.

Anyhow, back to the Ducati and its effect on the opposite sex. You have to do a lot to get close enough to whisper sweet nothings into a woman's ear. But the Ducati takes care of this from a half mile away. The aural noises the V-twin makes apparently stimulate a woman in ways no other vehicle I've ever owned does. So by the time you arrive they're waiting with anticipation. Performance figures of BMWs S1000RR (which seems to be crushing the Panigale in all the magazine comparos) might be the stuff of adolescent male dreams--and if that's your thing (16 year old boys), look no further than the BMW dealer. But the Ducati undeniably makes panties wet. Anyone who owns a one can attest to this I'm sure, but this is my first one, so it comes as a bit of a surprise. I don't see it on any of the schematics and it's not listed in any of the spec sheets, but somewhere under all that gorgeous bodywork lies a proverbial babe magnet.

I purchased a majorly modified 06 Multistrada about 7 months ago, and I get comments EVERYWHERE. I don't think there's one time I haven't stopped for gas and someone hasn't come up to talk to me about it. I've had other riders go out of their way just to see what it was and have a chat. Even in traffic people will ask me all sorts of questions just because it has the Ducati logo. I swear, that name has sex and power attached to it. The farther you are from a Ducati area the more powerful the image.

It gives me tons of issues and just looking at it wrong makes something break. But regardless of the fact that my Ninja 1000 performs better, handles better, gets better mileage, and is more comfortable, not one random person has batted an eye at it. Well, except a bunch of cruiser riders when I was in Michigan and Ohio that did 180's in their seats at seeing a sportbike. Even my CBR250 gets more comments and attention :P

I wanna sell or trade the Multi for a KLR or XR (er, what?), but the narcissistic side of me really wants to hold on to it. Ducatis do have a weird kind of character, for better or for worse, and that twin just grows on you.

Anyway, following the report. You're probably going to be one of few people to really put on a lot of miles on the 1199 in short order, testing the long-term endurance of the engine and bike. I always like reports involving long distance sports/supers and like your current take of "whatever, wherever, how I feel" to traveling. I just got back from a three week trip with the Ninja and am planning quite a few sub-week long and a few multi-week trips in the near future.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #36
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 500
Nice looking bike. I've taken a cruiser to 115 mph but 177 would definitely make the sphincter twitch.
Stay safe and keep posting

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #37
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
That ain't no Honda...

When a stranger meets a Ducati:

Enjoying your commentary. Interesting take on things. In 2002 when my son graduated HS I bought him a Ducati 750 Monster called a 'Senna'. It was a grey motorcycle with red wheels. Put on some Termi's for the sound and sent him off to college in Tempe.

His Monster always attracted attention with its unique appearance and really sweet sound. So one day he rolls up to some pumps, blips the throttle and shuts her off. An elderly gentleman walks up and starts examining the bike carefully from all angles. He only had one comment: "That ain't no Honda..."

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #38
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Great RR! I'm doing a transcontinental trip in a couple of weeks but with a fat German chick - a GSA. Hey, I'm old.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #39
JDMitchell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Great RR! There really is no sexier sound than a high strung Ducati, except a woman in the middle of a org.......................... nope the Ducati sounds better and requires slightly less maintanence.

You gonna stick with the stock tires when the originals are ready for replacement or will you go with a more touring friendly setup?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #40
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 374
Loving the report so far! I'll be curious to see how the trip pans out, especially if you continue to stay with people in their homes, as opposed to hotel/moteling it! Question on your gear: what jacket are you wearing? It looks like leather, but with some serious venting....
Subscribed!

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #41
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies, guys. The jacket is a REV'IT Tarmac Air Leather Jacket. Lots of armor, nice back protector, removable 'winter' liner, is perforated and vented (not that the latter matters when you're wearing a backpack).

I picked it up a couple months ago because I needed something more ventilated than my trusty Vanson. And looks now like Motorcycle Superstore has it on sale for $200 less than I paid for it!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #42
Hookapelli
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,136
Most excellent adventure, dude!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #43
johnmcallahan
KnumbKnutz!!!

Oddometer: 24
The write up on the new 1199 is that the exhaust heat can be a tad severe given the underseat configuration.

How did it go in the desert?

Beautiful bike though. Great read.
johnmcallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #44
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

It's hot as brass hinges in hell is what it is. There are times that I've thought my pants were on fire. When it's not tolerable it's time to stand on the pegs. Titanium wrap coming in tomorrow--hoping that will help.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #45
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

And once you've gone over to the dark side you can't get enough. That night I ended up at a Sugar House joint for some more BBQ while it rained a little.

Headed back to the Parrish House, called it a night.