Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #466
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
This is what your arms/hands look like after a few hours on the Panigale:

Where the 1199 slept:

I stayed on a quaint little farmhouse about an hour south of 401. First time I ever used a bathroom where the toilet was plugged in (some sort of elector-pneumatic valve that saved space). I made a mental note to not pee in the dark. (Bad aim at 3am would be followed by cock electrocution.)

Storm rolled in in the early morning and it continued to rain fairly hard. Around 11:30am I lost my wifi connection, so decided it was time to face the inevitable and head out. Turned on the shower and started brushing my teeth when the water cut out. I assume their pump also ran on electricity (bad planning--were these city folk?). So I rinsed with some vodka and was happy that I hadn't decided to bomb the base, seeing though the toilet was unflushable and I had to leave soon.

Quick bath at the car wash:

And finally made it to Quebec. When I hit Ontario the signs made it very clear that speeding in excess of 30mph would result in arrest, vehicle seizure and a $10K fine. In Quebec they were just as harsh on people ignant enough to bring empty food containers into the territory. C'mon, people! Driving at 90mph on the freeway is clearly deserving of $50,000 in damages, but but 100km/hour inside a vehicle with an open and very sharp container? That's suicide. Leave the spinach at home Popeye, you'll be less of a risk to yourself and others.

AntiHero screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 09:15 PM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #467
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,999
wow
just
WOW
Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #468
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Thanks for the report. Such a beautiful Italian girl!
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #469
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Still here, wanting more!

Just some encouragement to keep the GREAT RR up!
rico2072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #470
joepopp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Awesome stuff! Thanks!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #471
Sgt93
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I just spent hours reading this thread after being given a link on Twitter for a "must read". What a story! Count me in for the rest and thanks for sharing.
Sgt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #472
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
Quote:>>Antihero:::...and consumed one of my enemies: horse. Now in theory I don't have any problems with horses, but they've always had a problem with me, so fuck 'em. And besides--motorbikes make far better travel companions, don't bite, don't eat beefarino and don't poop all over the place.

Horse is F'in delicious!! Was married to a Belgium girl for a while and they had a deli spread at Xmas. I fhound a meat that rocked and ate most of their plate and then they told me it was horse. I agree, horses F'in hate me so fuckem, pass me another slice.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #473
zingo
@ ?

Oddometer: 27
checking back in after a couple weeks

and you are looking better then you every have. thanks for the reports
zingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #474
erockmapquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
And finally made it to Quebec. When I hit Ontario the signs made it very clear that speeding in excess of 30mph would result in arrest, vehicle seizure and a $10K fine. In Quebec they were just as harsh on people ignant enough to bring empty food containers into the territory. C'mon, people! Driving at 90mph on the freeway is clearly deserving of $50,000 in damages, but but 100km/hour inside a vehicle with an open and very sharp container? That's suicide. Leave the spinach at home Popeye, you'll be less of a risk to yourself and others.

No littering??? Ne pas jeter sur la voie publique.
erockmapquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #475
kcumjc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
The last time we had a report like this it was Rogue1's "took a little ride"
and it ended with a picture of a very attractive woman and was never completed.

Ya, I know he went to work for Baldy but geez.

Hope this doesn't turn into another incomplete cliffhanger.
That was one great RR. Truely a great read and this one is shaping up to match it.
kcumjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #476
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockmapquest View Post
No littering??? Ne pas jeter sur la voie publique.
The funny thing about signs in our own countries is we take the meanings for granted. Having a new set of signs and symbols requires a moment (sometimes longer) to figure out, 'what the fuck is that icon supposed to convey'? To write about a no littering sign is boring....but playing on the absurdity other possible meanings is perhaps only possible from an outsider's perspective--and for those who are familiar with them it gives new meaning of something that locals take for granted. So take a hit or two off my sarcasm bong and enjoy!!!!

I guess while I'm on topic--ignorance is not a legal defense anywhere in the world. Add to that the fact that 99.99989% of the civilized world (and 100% of the uncivilized) already know that disposing of trash in the public domain (sidewalks in Montreal don't count) is illegal and, hmmm, I can't think of a single reason why they're even there. AHA! I got it: It's an ironic joke played on us all by a bearded, skinny jean-wearing, Pabst Blue Ribbon-drinking, fixie-riding, American Eagle-smoking hipster on Quebec's Committee of Highway Planning thought, "someone somewhere will get this joke." (The joke being that the litter-prohibiting signs are the embodiment of exactly that which they're trying to prevent--that is: permanent visual litter, made from exactly the same cheesemetal as the naked Campbell's soup can pictured!)

Speaking of signs--Montreal has a lot I haven't seen. I should probably go around snapping shots of just the signs and do a page write-up on the 'rules of the road', seeing as though I've been breaking laws left and right (mostly right--on reds).

AntiHero screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 08:27 AM
Old 09-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #477
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Love that sign!! "Open tin cans prohibited"....

Wouldn't it be funny to go back to one of those and modify it to look like one of Warhol's soup cans? Think of the messages that would convey......

Litter and visual pollution.....the anti-littering sign as a form of pollution itself......I wonder if they ever thought to take the sign down and see how much litter accumulated over the course of the next year? Maybe the sign has completed it's mission and the need for it no longer exists. Maybe the sign is just a visual form of a "blue law".....but one that is much more visible.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #478
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Love that sign!!
Wouldn't it be funny to go back to one of those and modify it to look like one of Warhol's soup cans? Think of the messages that would convey......

Litter and visual pollution.....the anti-littering sign as a form of pollution itself......I wonder if they ever thought to take the sign down and see how much litter accumulated over the course of the next year? Maybe the sign has completed it's mission and the need for it no longer exists. Maybe the sign is just a visual form of a "blue law".....but one that is much more visible.
Love the soup can idea and great points.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #479
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
I'd bet no one ties and drags empty cans to cars after a wedding.
"Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive." - AntiHero ADV Rider
Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #480
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok, so here's the trip so far:

I've been in Montreal now for almost a week! Talk about time flying....but last week was a busy week for me work-wise and I actually didn't get to do much. First day I was here I checked in and got myself oriented and then met Eric ('sup, holmes!) at the Orange Julep landmark. We hung out in Little Italy with his friend Natalya--a pretty hardcore chick from Romania who rides an R6. Like an idiot, I didn't take any pictures, so y'all are going to have to just use your imagination for now.

Tues. met up with some of the Ducati dudes at (randomly) the exact same cafe. Other than that I haven't had much to report unless anyone wants to see webinar invites, Excel spreadsheets or screenshots of my sent folder in Outlook...

Montreal lives up to its reputation of being a very European city. The 'old' architecture is a mixture of French and English - the former are easily spotted due to the 'rough' stone texture, while the latter is smooth. Walking around you hear a mixture of French, English and Arabic and they have enough cultural diversity here to put any big city to shame.

The city is clean, the crime rate is low and the taxes are high. (Prepare yourself, Obama Nation--tax hikes are on their way!) Unlike Toronto, everyone here seems to like to talk politics and are fairly outspoken about what they do/do not like with their government.

More to come.....

AntiHero screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 08:51 AM