User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #1066
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
IDK

Mr. Kriega when I ride I want nothing on my back, but to each their own.

Anti if it works for ya, GB

for moi - its called Givi

Function over form
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #1067
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Hey Michael,
I'm pleased you've been following along. I wish we could have met up in NOLA....meeting Nesbitt would have been awesome (esp. if there was a Confederate around!). It's hard to not find interesting things in New Orleans--we'll have to sync up next time I do this. ;)

As for the backpack--I actually have a Kriega 10L inside my backpack to keep everything dry. :)

Regarding saddlebags--they're great when you're with your bike, but my stuff is too valuable (and necessary) to leave sitting on a bike luring thieves. And lugging saddlebags is a pain, as is fitting the PVC I'd need to keep it from getting sucked into the tire. Backpack goes where I go and keeps my hands free (to carry my helmet and the 20L).

I can say first hand to anyone thinking about scoring luggage/bags that Kriega makes top notch stuff. Only one suggestion, Michael--that 20L bag would be even better if it had a dedicated handle! :)
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #1068
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
IDK

Mr. Kriega when I ride I want nothing on my back, but to each their own.

Anti if it works for ya, GB

for moi - its called Givi

Function over form
Each to their own, chief!

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #1069
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Hey Michael,
I'm pleased you've been following along. I wish we could have met up in NOLA....meeting Nesbitt would have been awesome (esp. if there was a Confederate around!). It's hard to not find interesting things in New Orleans--we'll have to sync up next time I do this. ;)

As for the backpack--I actually have a Kriega 10L inside my backpack to keep everything dry. :)

Regarding saddlebags--they're great when you're with your bike, but my stuff is too valuable (and necessary) to leave sitting on a bike luring thieves. And lugging saddlebags is a pain, as is fitting the PVC I'd need to keep it from getting sucked into the tire. Backpack goes where I go and keeps my hands free (to carry my helmet and the 20L).

I can say first hand to anyone thinking about scoring luggage/bags that Kriega makes top notch stuff. Only one suggestion, Michael--that 20L bag would be even better if it had a dedicated handle! :)
Yeah - JT's a good lad and quite a character. Funnily enough he doesn't actually own a Wraith, but there is one of the other models (I forget which) kicking around. Along with a super hotted-up KTM Duke, Bimota SB8R, '42 H-D Knucklehead (fascinating, yet hideous to ride around the lunar landscape, they call NOLA city streets) and various other 'bitsas'. Plus, the Stinkin' Lincoln (Katrina flood-damaged Mark VIII, gutted and reworked, then forced to go 200mph at Bonneville a few years back).

Not mention this little beauty:

The Magnolia Special: entirely hand-built by JT and powered wholly by compressed natural gas. Amazingly, it drives just like it looks. Jay Leno wanted to buy it, but JT didn't want to sell.

And finally, the bare bones of his latest labor of love. Named The Bienville Legacy, the engineering behind it has the potential to be something of a game-changer. I'll just say 'supercharged Motus V4' and 'leaf spring', then leave it there:

Links in the pics, if you'd care to click.

Good to know you're liking your US-10 and 20 packs. And I hear what you're saying about backpacks being ideal for your kind of travel. Not to get all spammy or anything, but you might want to take a look at our R series packs (specifically, the waterproof R30) - the harness system is unique and removes any stress from the shoulders / neck area. Plus, you can quickly strap your US pack (which will have come with an included shoulder strap) on to any backpack for carrying off the bike. That said, we might well be adding a carry handle to the US packs in future. In the meantime there's a solid workaround using one of our Haul Loops that I'd be happy to share.

And, as you don't seem all that enamored with the license plate assembly on the Duke, a set of our US Alloy Hook Straps (which are now standard on all packs) might enable different mounting options (including across the seat, as well as in-line as you have it right now), so you wouldn't need to Photoshop that incongruous chunk of cheapo black plastic out of any more photos.

Hopefully you don't think any of the above is some kind of thread-jacking hard sell - I just tend to get a tad OCD about luggage (kinda goes with the territory!) and figured those few suggestions could help lighten your load. I know it's a little late in the ride, but feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like fixing up. No charge.

Either way, like I said, gimme a shout anytime if you feel I could be of any assistance whatsoever.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the ride,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 03:05 PM
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #1070
SnowStorm
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Welcome Home Party?

Hi Antihero,

awesome, just awesome road report. I didn't know about this forum previously but joined as a result of being given the link to your thread from a member of a different forum I'm a part of. I gotta say it's very encouraging to read through it. I spent a little bit of time every day over the last week going through it. You are a champ for taking that Panigale in some of the off road/dirt tracks you found.

I commute about 80 miles a day to south San Jose on an R1 and have ridden much longer distances on it, so I get the reasoning behind your choice of machinery. However I am writing that from the comfort of my apartment not having actually riden across the country on a sportbike...hats off to you!

I gotta say, i think you've probably gathered a bunch of fans by now. Have you considered having a welcome home party in SF? If you pick a bar/restaurant in SF and coordinate your travel so that you officially end your trip at the location, you would probably get quite a few people coming out. I live in the East Bay and I would make the trek out to the city.

Just a thought. Either way, good on ya, looks like you had the trip of a lifetime.

Cheers
SnowStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #1071
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Good to know you're liking your US-10 and 20 packs. And I hear what you're saying about backpacks being ideal for your kind of travel. Not to get all spammy or anything, but you might want to take a look at our R series packs (specifically, the waterproof R30) - the harness system is unique and removes any stress from the shoulders / neck area. Plus, you can quickly strap your US pack (which will have come with an included shoulder strap) on to any backpack for carrying off the bike. That said, we might well be adding a carry handle to the US packs in future. In the meantime there's a solid workaround using one of our Haul Loops that I'd be happy to share.
I have the non waterproof R-25 and whilts I've never actually had it soak through, I was wondering would it be wise/ok to treat it with nixwax cotton proof or textile spray to make it even more waterproof?
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #1072
GP1152
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post

I can vouch for the Kriega stuff. We used the Kriega Backpacks and I also used the US-20 tailbag during our trip from the SF Bay Area to Victoria, B.C. and back. I also used these during a few trips we did when we lived on the east coast and went from Miami to WV and back. We went through some absolute torrential downpours during those rides and not a drop of water got into any of the bags. I actually washed the bike a few times WITH the tail bag on the bike and everything stayed bone dry.
On this last trip I used the R20 backpack with the US-20. The US-20, along with some eagle-creek packing cubes, let's me fit a crapload of stuff (always think unpacking looks like a clown car unloading).
I'm with AH as to leaving stuff on the bike. All valuables (ipad, etc) are in the backpack with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #1073
f1addict
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Kreiga makes well designed products, however hope you never have any problems with their products and have to rely on their "warranty". Received an R20 backpack, and noticed there was a cut in it. They wouldn't take it back or replace the product. VERY disappointing as this wasn't my first Kreiga product.
f1addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #1074
Sgt93
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I wasn't worried. I used to worry about my Tiger 1050 which has a max speed telltale which never fails to register a speed between tankfuls which would mandate arrest and bike seizure in my state.

After a bit, I figure how would a cop get that info? As to the OP's iPhone, well, one could always argue poor Apple QA.
Police have better things to do, believe me. The majority of law enforcement arrests due to YouTubes are from high media coverage where the majority of the investigative work has been done by them already, also leaving them no choice but to intervene. Anyways, refer back to my first sentence, they stay pretty busy
Sgt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #1075
Sgt93
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
(I don't like eating cheese, but I'm fascinated by people who do):
That just cracks me up, love it.
Sgt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #1076
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
PMs are the way around thread-jacking hard sells
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #1077
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Ben Zvan, send me the recipe when you get it down.
Okay, so I'm not a fan of margaritas that are blended with ice, but you could do that with this one if you really wanted to. Unfortunately, avocado isn't a really strong flavor, so it's more of a subtle element here, which means go easy on the chipotle unless you want to drown out the avocado.

1/4 of an avocado worked well for texture and flavor, so one avocado will make you four drinks.

1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and quartered
8oz fresh squeezed lime juice (about 4-6 limes)
8oz Sauza Reposado tequila
4oz Cointreau
2 or more dashes chipotle tincture, depending how much you like heat *
Blend until smooth.

Cut a garlic clove in half and rub the cut side around rim of glass, squeezing a bit, then dip rim of glass in salt. If the salt doesn't stick, you didn't rub the garlic hard enough. Add ice. Pour in margarita. Garnish with lime wedge and a cube of avocado on a toothpick.

* To make chipotle tincture, break up .5 ounce of dried chipotle peppers and place in a 1 cup canning jar with 4 ounces vodka over night or longer, then strain into a hot sauce bottle with a shaker top. It's great in margaritas, tequila tonics and anywhere else you want a little heat and smoke.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #1078
Pepemoto
Road-slicer

Oddometer: 64
*sniff-sniff*

Best thread ever.

Yoo-hoo, Ducati, read this thread!!

Don't stop, man!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #1079
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1addict View Post
Kreiga makes well designed products, however hope you never have any problems with their products and have to rely on their "warranty". Received an R20 backpack, and noticed there was a cut in it. They wouldn't take it back or replace the product. VERY disappointing as this wasn't my first Kreiga product.
Think I remember this one. PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
PMs are the way around thread-jacking hard sells
Ahaha! Fair point.

Tepi and GP1152 - thanks for your kind words. PMs coming your way too.

With things now definitely veering rapidly towards the realms of inadvertent threadjackerry , there'll be no more business chat from me here... unless, of course, AntiHero needs anything. Please direct any questions (or complaints, even!) to this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778304.

So, it's back to just being plain old amanlikemike enjoying an epic RR. Apologies for the disruption. Normal / awesome service will now be resumed...

Kriegaman OUT!

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 05:08 PM
Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #1080
DucHym09
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb Great Story!

Quote:
If you've never been to the US and are reading this RR from some other country, I will tell you now--if you ever travel to America, there's no better destination than New Orleans. There's no other city in the world like it.

Alligator, ribs and head cheese for lunch:

Above ground cemeteries for dessert (water table prevents burying bodies):

This is a great story! I signed up the other day so I could finish it-I live across the lake from New Orleans and have been in the Ducati family for about a year now.
DucHym09 is offline   Reply With Quote