Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #31
xuare OP
Gravity wins again

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
How about a 'warm-up' trip first: see, if you can reach the seashore on a completely roadless terrain in winter conditions?

That's no walk in the park, it would be challenging, and potentially very dangerous, too, but at least you'd stay on solid ground, so there might be some sort of hope of a rescue in case of emergency.
Winter would be very treacherous. I would agree it's probably not safe without, at minimum, a guide and some artic survival training. I would like to reiterate from earlier I do not believe enough of the Bering Sea or the Chukchi Sea is freezing to make a safe passage. The continuing records being set for sea ice melting are definitely not helping...

Right now I believe the best plan would involve going via boat to Anadyr from Nome or Mys Shmidta [or other options] from Point Hope during warm weather.

There are a lot of other factors for arctic expeditions in winter that would be a planning nightmare. It would affect everything from fuel loads (must bike be kept running, even overnight since -40 or lower?) to type of bike. I also think it would require a "snowbike" conversion kit, and apparently those things can struggle on a 250cc (without baggage, tools, and extra fuel loaded on them) and are not really designed for / stable on ice. They also don't work well on ice, apparently and it would be a guessing game on where to leave it (to big to take with you). If you went bigger than a 250 your bike may not be nimble enough for the no-trails areas after reaching land, etc., etc. It would be a difficult trade space to work with
xuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
crewwolfy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I would also caution in putting too much weight into anything done or stated on Top Gear. While I love the show, it is an entertainment series, not documentary. Truths are stretched, scenes are scripted, and footage is edited to create an exciting, but not always truthful, viewing experience.
crewwolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #33
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 123
If you are interested in some experience gaining efforts, they Iditarod trail is run every year by snowmobiles. This would give you a good experience on the types of conditions you might face and expose you to some beautiful country.

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #34
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Even thinking about being alone on a floating mat of crumbling ice scares the living shit out of me. Good luck with this one, you're far braver than me.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #35
xuare OP
Gravity wins again

Probably need to update the objective based on current evidence:

The ocean, she don't freeze. Current best plan is to take a boat from Nome to Anadyr via Provideniya as a boat-stop (using Iditerod to access) or the shorter option of Mys Shmida (sp?) from Point Hope (going up Dempster and across the tundra). From either point in RUS, mainland should be accessible as long as fuel is planned (portions where 1200km w/o fuel stops are found according to "3 KTM go East, revisited"). Other than fuel management, most of the unexplored-route risk gets shifted to Alaska and that can be controlled by changing departure points within the state if needed. The other research item is boats and where they can leave from. For instance, Point Hope has no discernible harbor...

I no loneger think a route south from Anadyr is going to be possible without building your own trail along the way.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #36
kuroda_tadayoshi
Kuroda

Oddometer: 141
do you read much?

I think you would enjoy, "Off The Map"

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Map-Tales-...ds=off+the+map

It has quite a few interesting stories of groups that explored that far north.

"On John Franklin's 1820 expedition to find the North-West Passage, Michel Teroahaute cannibalized two team members and was preparing a third when he was caught and killed."
Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #37
xuare OP
Gravity wins again

When my dad took my brother and I salmon fishing in Alaska, he had a saying:

"You don't have to be able to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the slowest person in your group."

He also neglected to mention the speed of the slowest person goes up as the party gets smaller...
Old 06-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #38
rick3foxes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
If you have access to NetFlix, you need to see all the fun these guys had crossing icefields....

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ar...?trkid=2361637

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #39
xuare OP
Gravity wins again

More info. The Amarok Polar Expedition used the northern strech I was debating, they just went east then way south of my anticipated landing spot of Mys Shmidia.

Link to website.

I'm also curious how much they needed various bodies of water to be frozen to complete the trip. I'll have to ask. My intent was during summer after all...