User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
frankttaylor OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
1972 Kawasaki F7

hey all! I bought a F7 a couple of weeks ago and I have it to the point it will start but won't run. I cleaned the carb, I cleaned the tank and petcock. I am not sure if I have the vent line and the fuel line crossed or something more sinister is going on. I I have to use starter fluid to get it to start. It will stay running at high revs but dies as soon as you throttle down. has a new coil and a new plug so spark is good. Thanks for any help. I am a mechanical dummy so please bear with me.
frankttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,481
Cool...I had a '74 model of the same bike...did my first enduro on that bike. One thing that happens to old 2-strokes is that the case seals go bad over time. That's one area I would check. Is the rotary valve still intact?...not broken or missing pieces? You indicate that you're not well versed in mechanical service. Are you sure all the passages and jets in the carb were cleaned with carb cleaner and blown out with compressed air? Good luck. Old bikes can be a challenge for even experienced mechanics.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Sort through the Petcock properly and ensure you have the vacuum and fuel lines connected correctly. When I bought mine they were crossed, and the prior owner could only get it to run a couple seconds before it died. The vacuum petcock works fine once rebuilt with good gaskets, etc.

Next inspect the carb intake manifold. Believe it or not the carb does not clamp to the manifold it merely pops into place with the tension and flexibility of the rubber manifold to hold the carb to it. After 40 years you can imagine that manifold has likely lost it's elasticity and won't likely hold 100% seal- end result, air leak.

The seals are certainly a consideration, but do check the easier to repair things first. Mine did not require seals, but the petcock and manifold were definitely the causes of my running issues.

I no longer have the bike- sold it a couple years back. It was a neat little enduro....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
dezrat57
New River, Arizona

Oddometer: 161
Hello
if it runs only at an open thottle position then your pilot jet/circuit is clogged....
very common with old gas....the jet is very small and located next to the main jet...which is located between the floats....
remove all jets and hold up to light/sun and check for a blockage...then spray carb cleaner the jets and the passage ways

dave
dezrat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
frankttaylor OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Carb rebuild kit solved the problem!!! Idles great!
frankttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote