User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Newfoundland Labrador trip advice

Me and a friend are leaving next weekend to Labrador, I'm from Providence he will come up from Philly. We have some idea what we want to do but any advice is appreciated.

The plan is to take a ferry from N. Sydney to NF, spend couple days on the island then cross to Blanc-Sablon and come back via Trans-Lab and Quebec City down through VT.

Couple questions I have conflicting answers to: What's the longest stretch between fuel stops? So far I have conflicting reports of 260 and 175 miles.

Next one is do I need to book the St. Barbe to Blanc-Sablon ferry? was told no but there is an option to book it... don't want to be tied to the schedule so will not book unless it's necessary.
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Next one is do I need to book the St. Barbe to Blanc-Sablon ferry? was told no but there is an option to book it... don't want to be tied to the schedule so will not book unless it's necessary.
Prolly not. We jest showed up when we did it in 6/09. Saw whales too!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,785
Quote:
Me and a friend are leaving next weekend to Labrador, I'm from Providence he will come up from Philly. We have some idea what we want to do but any advice is appreciated.

The plan is to take a ferry from N. Sydney to NF, spend couple days on the island then cross to Blanc-Sablon and come back via Trans-Lab and Quebec City down through VT.

Couple questions I have conflicting answers to: What's the longest stretch between fuel stops? So far I have conflicting reports of 260 and 175 miles.
It's definitely 260. That's the stretch between Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Port Hope Simpson. 175 was the old longest stretch (between Churchill Falls and HV-GB) before the Phase III section between HV-GB and PHS was open.

Quote:
No, that one doesn't need reservations, just show up well enough in advance of boarding time. But the ferry between Cape Breton and Newfoundland definitely requires reservations.

Other thing I would strongly suggest: run reasonably aggressive tires. The conditions on the Trans-Lab could be great, or they could be really sketchy. Chances are you'll encounter both. In the sketchier sections you'll be happy to have the knobbier tires.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
It's definitely 260. That's the stretch between Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Port Hope Simpson. 175 was the old longest stretch (between Churchill Falls and HV-GB) before the Phase III section between HV-GB and PHS was open.

Any way to avoid/detour?

Guess I'm failing to understand how new and improved foad has fewer stations.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,583
Quote:
Any way to avoid/detour?

Big trip for you dudes, but it sounds like you've never bothered to even glance at a map.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,043
Quote:
Any way to avoid/detour?

yes the roads are being built. But the distance between civilization hasn't changed. The only way to detour or avoid it is to ride somewhere else, and skipping Labrador.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
yes the roads are being built. But the distance between civilization hasn't changed. The only way to detour or avoid it is to ride somewhere else, and skipping Labrador.
I'm loving all the positive vibe on this one....

yes we looked at the map and spoke with people have done it before but it is not easy to comprehend how by improving the road (comoetind the phase?) you extend the distance between the gas stops. it could be possible two ways: if the old road that was 175miles between the gas stops was completely demolished or the gas station in between has been taken out?

Is there something I'm missing?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just so you don't think I'm a complete n00b, I've been riding most of my life, track, road and dirt, several long distance trips every year and camp a fair bit.

So unless you have something to contribute please keep wise remarks to yourself. I have a legitimate question which either not worded correctly or may not be understood by small minds.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
nick949eldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Just so you don't think I'm a complete n00b, I've been riding most of my life, track, road and dirt, several long distance trips every year and camp a fair bit.

So unless you have something to contribute please keep wise remarks to yourself. I have a legitimate question which either not worded correctly or may not be understood by small minds.
There is only the one road across Labrador. There are no alternative routes. Gas stations exist at the coast (Mary's Harbour), Goose Bay/Happy Valley, Churchill Falls, Labrador City and Manic 5. There is nothing (NOTHING) in between. Carry enough gas for 300 miles and you should be fine.

Booking the ferry between North Sydney and Port aux Basques is required.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

North Sydney to Port aux Basques is booked, glad someone told me to do it in advance, wish I planned it further in advance and got a cabin... sleeping in the chair is fine, but stretching out and taking a shower would be better.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a second gas can... or tow a small tanker behind

The plan is to stop in Carwright and North West River, hope time allows

Using Scorpion tires, pretty sure I can make it on those, a friend did it last year on a K bike 2 up and made it back alive... not even sure what rubber he had, all I know is that he had couple flats, I'm hoping to avoid those
Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
nick949eldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
North Sydney to Port aux Basques is booked, glad someone told me to do it in advance, wish I planned it further in advance and got a cabin... sleeping in the chair is fine, but stretching out and taking a shower would be better.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a second gas can... or tow a small tanker behind

Using Scorpion tires, pretty sure I can make it on those, a friend did it last year on a K bike 2 up and made it back alive... not even sure what rubber he had, all I know is that he had couple flats, I'm hoping to avoid those
A five dollar plastic can and a couple of bungees works fine. Just take it easy and you'll be fine, no matter what you're riding.

Have a great trip (and don't forget your bug net - it's the only piece of essential equipment).

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks Nick!

does the bug spray work on black flies?
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,583
Quote:

Riding into Cartwright now makes the route between that stop and HVGB the longest leg between fuel.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 AM   #14
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

I always get a cabin going to Argentia as it could be an 18 hr trek. Port aux Basque I never do as it's about 6 hrs. I think the washrooms have shower in them, but if you really want a cabin, go the the "bookers office" immediately upon getting on the ferry and they always have cancellations or a few no-shows.

if you want to go the gas can, bungee route, stop in a Hardware store or Canadian Tire in Corner Brooke or Stephenville on your way.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 AM   #15
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oh and when you stop to get a gas can, get some bug spray. The highest deet they have, it'll keep most from biting exposed skin but there may be dozens flying within inches of you, so it's likely be an annoyance. Along the coast not bad, and may not have to use any spray at all.