User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
san1k OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Headed North

As part of my 6 trip plan to grab all 50 states; I'm headed North to grab Colorado, Nebraska, South/North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa and then returning to Texas.

I have a few questions for anyone who has ridden these areas:

1. How long of a day is it to ride to Rushmore and through the Badlands? What other sites are in the immediate area that I should check out?

2. Are there better scenic roads through Minnesota then what I have mapped?

3. How long does a tour of the Harley Davidson museum take? I'm not a Harley guy; just figured I'm there I might as well check it out.

4. Any recommendations as far as a place to stay or see on this map would be appreciated.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...ia=4,5&t=m&z=5
san1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,668
Minnesota: Highway 1 is a good road. I'd probably stay on 1 all the way to 61. Highway 61 there, what they call North Shore Drive is very scenic, though very touristy.

In Bemidji, you're very close to Itasca State Park, the headwaters of the Mississippi River. You probably shouldn't miss that.

Do you know what kind of bike you'll be on? The Echo Trail out of Ely is pretty cool, though a bit out of your way, and it's gravel.

In South Dakota, the unfinished Sitting Bull Monument is pretty amazing, though some people find it controversial. It's pretty near to Rushmore.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by san1k View Post
4. Any recommendations as far as a place to stay or see on this map would be appreciated.
Have you ever toured the Mountains in Colorado? Well if not I would go thru that state further west to catch the better roads.

Take a little detour like this.

http://goo.gl/maps/JktyZ

Agrandir le plan

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
Dusty Boots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
As part of my 6 trip plan to grab all 50 states; I'm headed North to grab Colorado, Nebraska, South/North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa and then returning to Texas.

I have a few questions for anyone who has ridden these areas:

1. How long of a day is it to ride to Rushmore and through the Badlands? What other sites are in the immediate area that I should check out?

2. Are there better scenic roads through Minnesota then what I have mapped?

3. How long does a tour of the Harley Davidson museum take? I'm not a Harley guy; just figured I'm there I might as well check it out.

1. - you can easily accomplish both in a day, although you may want to hit the light show at Rushmore at night. Also, don't miss riding the Needles Highway in Custer SP while there - http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/ho...yspeternorbeck

4. - camping or staying in a motel?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
san1k OP
Adventurer

1. I'll be riding my Ninja 1000.

2. I do plan on doing some camping; but not the first two days as I'm going to ride straight from Texas to South Dakota.

3. Most likely I'll spend two days in Rapid City to ride everything.

4. Thank you guys so far for the suggestions.

5. I have 6 days planned to ride all of Colorado in August; so I'll be passing through only this trip.

san1k screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 08:17 AM Reason: misstyped
Old 01-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
5. I have 6 days planned to ride all of Colorado in August; so I'll be passing through only this trip.
I see.

What type of riding do you like to do?

Theres is a lot of superslabbing on the flatter parts of of the continent in that trip. Usualy that area mapped is an area you have to go thru to get to where you wanna be.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
BUZZARD II
Old Geezer

Oddometer: 474
Coming back from Sturgis this year I took a northern route and almost the same route through Minnesota. Fargo's a drag, a bunch of lights on Bus. 94/10. Otherwise nice riding. You have to jump across the Mississippi and stop in Riderwearhouse.

BTW I also hit the Badlands in ND and it is quite different from the SD Badlands. Well worth seeing if you have the time.
BUZZARD II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I see.

What type of riding do you like to do?

Theres is a lot of superslabbing on the flatter parts of of the continent in that trip. Usualy that area mapped is an area you have to go thru to get to where you wanna be.
IMO, of course.
You can do a ""ride by trip" or a smell the roses trip. Some spend a summer in CO & just get a taste. I've been going there all my life on a now & then basis & I've not really seen many places there...Wave @ the locals when your there.
I suppose you'll have more fun than a truck driver on your 6 days of Colorado but sure not my idea of "seeing Colorado". Why not do one area "sort of well"?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
san1k OP
Adventurer

6 days in Colorado I'm sure won't be my last trip in Colorado ever. I'm sure I'll take many more trips there; just the planning for the 6 days has left a lot of things on the cutting room floor.

Right now I do one trip to knock out a few States a year and see a few local attractions and then I do one off ride.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
san1k OP
Adventurer

In riding the Badlands; what is the most popular rode? 240 or 44?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
6 days in Colorado I'm sure won't be my last trip in Colorado ever. I'm sure I'll take many more trips there; just the planning for the 6 days has left a lot of things on the cutting room floor.

Right now I do one trip to knock out a few States a year and see a few local attractions and then I do one off ride.
look @ www.motorcycleroads.us for ideas
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
1. I'll be riding my Ninja 1000.

2. I do plan on doing some camping; but not the first two days as I'm going to ride straight from Texas to South Dakota.

3. Most likely I'll spend two days in Rapid City to ride everything.

4. Thank you guys so far for the suggestions.

My suggestion would be to stop short of Rapid City and spend the night in Kadoka or Wall, SD. Then plan on riding the Badlands Loop (240) from east to west at sunrise. Sunrise and sunset are when the badlands are at their most colorful and by getting out there early you'll miss the RV crowds and have the place mostly to yourself.

Rapid City is a wonderful town, and if you get the chance be sure to take in the Museum at the SD School of Mines, but you might be better off staying two nights up in the hills rather than in Rapid City. Look into staying at the Lodge in Custer Park. Otherwise, Hill City, Keystone or Lead will put you in the thick of things.

The lighting ceremony at Mt Rushmore is pretty cool. Roughlock Falls off of the Spearfish Canyon is a great place to chill and have a picnic.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Your route loops around the Unglaciated area of WI/MN/IA, which is one of the best motorcycling terrains in the country. This is the portion of Wisconsin south of I-94 and west of Madison to the Mississippi and the bluff country in MN and Iowa on the other side of the Mississippi. In WI the county roads are identified with letters and are known as the "alphabet roads". They are all paved and well maintained. If you need to make some time across this area take a look at Hwy 33, especially the section through Wildcat Mt.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Something to make Iowa interesting would be to stop at the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #15
Dusty Boots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
In riding the Badlands; what is the most popular rode? 240 or 44?
240! It's the one that takes you through the largest and best part of the park