ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
MATPOC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Providence, near Hope
Oddometer: 1,123
Newfoundland Labrador trip advice

Me and a friend are leaving next weekend to Labrador, I'm from Providence he will come up from Philly. We have some idea what we want to do but any advice is appreciated.

The plan is to take a ferry from N. Sydney to NF, spend couple days on the island then cross to Blanc-Sablon and come back via Trans-Lab and Quebec City down through VT.

Couple questions I have conflicting answers to: What's the longest stretch between fuel stops? So far I have conflicting reports of 260 and 175 miles.

Next one is do I need to book the St. Barbe to Blanc-Sablon ferry? was told no but there is an option to book it... don't want to be tied to the schedule so will not book unless it's necessary.
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Paulie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: UK (Upper Kuba)
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
...
Next one is do I need to book the St. Barbe to Blanc-Sablon ferry? was told no but there is an option to book it... don't want to be tied to the schedule so will not book unless it's necessary.
Prolly not. We jest showed up when we did it in 6/09. Saw whales too!
__________________
Maritimes http://tinyurl.com/nm9vakb NYWACA http://tinyurl.com/qfejall Over the Pond http://tinyurl.com/7dlrny8
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Me and a friend are leaving next weekend to Labrador, I'm from Providence he will come up from Philly. We have some idea what we want to do but any advice is appreciated.

The plan is to take a ferry from N. Sydney to NF, spend couple days on the island then cross to Blanc-Sablon and come back via Trans-Lab and Quebec City down through VT.

Couple questions I have conflicting answers to: What's the longest stretch between fuel stops? So far I have conflicting reports of 260 and 175 miles.
It's definitely 260. That's the stretch between Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Port Hope Simpson. 175 was the old longest stretch (between Churchill Falls and HV-GB) before the Phase III section between HV-GB and PHS was open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Next one is do I need to book the St. Barbe to Blanc-Sablon ferry? was told no but there is an option to book it... don't want to be tied to the schedule so will not book unless it's necessary.
No, that one doesn't need reservations, just show up well enough in advance of boarding time. But the ferry between Cape Breton and Newfoundland definitely requires reservations.

Other thing I would strongly suggest: run reasonably aggressive tires. The conditions on the Trans-Lab could be great, or they could be really sketchy. Chances are you'll encounter both. In the sketchier sections you'll be happy to have the knobbier tires.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
MATPOC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Providence, near Hope
Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
It's definitely 260. That's the stretch between Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Port Hope Simpson. 175 was the old longest stretch (between Churchill Falls and HV-GB) before the Phase III section between HV-GB and PHS was open.

Any way to avoid/detour?

Guess I'm failing to understand how new and improved foad has fewer stations.
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
jdrocks
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 4,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Any way to avoid/detour?

Guess I'm failing to understand how new and improved foad has fewer stations.
Big trip for you dudes, but it sounds like you've never bothered to even glance at a map.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 6,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Any way to avoid/detour?

Guess I'm failing to understand how new and improved foad has fewer stations.
yes the roads are being built. But the distance between civilization hasn't changed. The only way to detour or avoid it is to ride somewhere else, and skipping Labrador.
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
MATPOC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Providence, near Hope
Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
yes the roads are being built. But the distance between civilization hasn't changed. The only way to detour or avoid it is to ride somewhere else, and skipping Labrador.
I'm loving all the positive vibe on this one....

yes we looked at the map and spoke with people have done it before but it is not easy to comprehend how by improving the road (comoetind the phase?) you extend the distance between the gas stops. it could be possible two ways: if the old road that was 175miles between the gas stops was completely demolished or the gas station in between has been taken out?

Is there something I'm missing?
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
MATPOC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Providence, near Hope
Oddometer: 1,123
Just so you don't think I'm a complete n00b, I've been riding most of my life, track, road and dirt, several long distance trips every year and camp a fair bit.

So unless you have something to contribute please keep wise remarks to yourself. I have a legitimate question which either not worded correctly or may not be understood by small minds.
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
nick949eldo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Inverary, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Just so you don't think I'm a complete n00b, I've been riding most of my life, track, road and dirt, several long distance trips every year and camp a fair bit.

So unless you have something to contribute please keep wise remarks to yourself. I have a legitimate question which either not worded correctly or may not be understood by small minds.
There is only the one road across Labrador. There are no alternative routes. Gas stations exist at the coast (Mary's Harbour), Goose Bay/Happy Valley, Churchill Falls, Labrador City and Manic 5. There is nothing (NOTHING) in between. Carry enough gas for 300 miles and you should be fine.

Booking the ferry between North Sydney and Port aux Basques is required.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
MATPOC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Providence, near Hope
Oddometer: 1,123
North Sydney to Port aux Basques is booked, glad someone told me to do it in advance, wish I planned it further in advance and got a cabin... sleeping in the chair is fine, but stretching out and taking a shower would be better.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a second gas can... or tow a small tanker behind

The plan is to stop in Carwright and North West River, hope time allows

Using Scorpion tires, pretty sure I can make it on those, a friend did it last year on a K bike 2 up and made it back alive... not even sure what rubber he had, all I know is that he had couple flats, I'm hoping to avoid those
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
nick949eldo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Inverary, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
North Sydney to Port aux Basques is booked, glad someone told me to do it in advance, wish I planned it further in advance and got a cabin... sleeping in the chair is fine, but stretching out and taking a shower would be better.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a second gas can... or tow a small tanker behind

The plan is to stop in Carwright and North West River, hope time allows

Using Scorpion tires, pretty sure I can make it on those, a friend did it last year on a K bike 2 up and made it back alive... not even sure what rubber he had, all I know is that he had couple flats, I'm hoping to avoid those
A five dollar plastic can and a couple of bungees works fine. Just take it easy and you'll be fine, no matter what you're riding.

Have a great trip (and don't forget your bug net - it's the only piece of essential equipment).

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
MATPOC OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
MATPOC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Providence, near Hope
Oddometer: 1,123
thanks Nick!

does the bug spray work on black flies?
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
jdrocks
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 4,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post

The plan is to stop in Carwright and North West River, hope time allows
Riding into Cartwright now makes the route between that stop and HVGB the longest leg between fuel.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 AM   #14
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 6,043
I always get a cabin going to Argentia as it could be an 18 hr trek. Port aux Basque I never do as it's about 6 hrs. I think the washrooms have shower in them, but if you really want a cabin, go the the "bookers office" immediately upon getting on the ferry and they always have cancellations or a few no-shows.

if you want to go the gas can, bungee route, stop in a Hardware store or Canadian Tire in Corner Brooke or Stephenville on your way.
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 AM   #15
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 6,043
Oh and when you stop to get a gas can, get some bug spray. The highest deet they have, it'll keep most from biting exposed skin but there may be dozens flying within inches of you, so it's likely be an annoyance. Along the coast not bad, and may not have to use any spray at all.
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015