Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Chicago to Myrtle Beach, Where to stop/camp?

So I am planning a trip for late march and although its not a motorcycle trip, I figured this would be a good reference for camping. I am going to be driving a car with 3-4 mountain bikes on it to look for some mountain biking around Asheville, North Carolina and the east coast near there and I am looking for fun places to camp/stop along the way.

will be 3-4 of us with mountain bikes and camping gear packed into a car. have about 7-10 days to do the trip and will have to be round trip. Would love to not come back the same way we went. Right now the only two places I am excited about is Asheville and some coastal town near myrtle beach.
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,082
Pick some towns/areas enroute where you "think" you might ride and call a MC dealer there and ask who rides your style and pick their brain.
March-sounds maybe cold & definitely wet (IL to SC) to me?
Whats in Myrtle Beach?
Yes, I've been there FWIW.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
4PawsHacienda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Huntington Beach State Park might be a place to check out for some riding and having fun, just south of Myrtle Beach. If you're looking to party (Easter Break?) Myrtle Beach is a good coastal choice, Murrells Inlet is great for getting away from the crowds - not too much of a problem other than golfers in March.

Not many hills along the South Carolina coast region, mainly sand with lots of swamps and the occasional alligator. Rainy, warm and windy in early spring.

Asheville will be fun area, Pisgah national Forest; great micro-brewed scene. It will definitely be winter there. Blue Ridge Parkway closes frequently in winter because of snow - and they give tickets if you ignore closure signs.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You guys know I am talking about bicycling right? lol

Not heart set on myrtle beach, probably would be better to head to the outerbanks too. Just looking for ideas on cool places to visit along the east coast and good mountain biking.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
4PawsHacienda
Studly Adventurer

ok, OuterBanks area! Lots to see and do on a mountain bike. Still no hills though.
Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge has miles of roads for biking on and un-effing believable scenery - acres and acres of wildlife. Desolate area. Great riding region. Few people and miles of roads.

Whole area around Pea Island Wildlife Refuge has no people and miles and miles of beach. Ever looked both ways on a beach and seen less than 5 people on a clear day? Camping all over. Ferry system is free, roads good for riding.

Windy as all get out.
Roanoke Island good place to visit. Heck, Corolla down to Avon worth seeing.
Laid back region, especially in the off-season. Plenty of fresh fish!
Weeping Radish Farm Brewery and Outer Banks Brewing Station worth stopping at.
Lonely that time of year.Hope you're not looking to fall into a heavy party scene.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So its mostly flat around that area... are there good mountain trails or are they pretty much just riding paths?

I would like to go to the outer banks area and at least camp as I am not at all looking for the party scene... more looking to avoid it.

What else would you suggest to do around the outer banks for 3 guys on a road trip?
Old 01-26-2015, 04:12 AM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
You guys know I am talking about bicycling right? lol

Not heart set on myrtle beach, probably would be better to head to the outerbanks too. Just looking for ideas on cool places to visit along the east coast and good mountain biking.
Change my post by deletion of "MC" dealer and insertion of "bicycle" dealer
I'd head for Panama City or ? , not Myrtle Beach. Just maybe you'll catch some rays there. Tampa is even better. Not much in way of hills anywhere named except where March is pretty cold?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #8
4PawsHacienda
Studly Adventurer

Bicycling along coastal south is going to be on mostly sandy tracks, just not much else around here. You'll be able to cover lots of miles in a day, tallest hill is two feet.

Ever hear of the bicycle trails along the New River in Virginia? Lots of bicycling and camping in the Fries and Draper regions. Good brewery in Galax VA and camping there with trail access, cheap cabins too. Chestnut Creek. Extensive state park system along the New River and the trail is over 50 miles. Good forest service roads to Burkes Garden that would be a blast on bicycles. Decent bike shop in Galax and also Draper for info. Plenty of hills too.

There is also an extensive bicycle trail system through WV. Heard about someone riding their bicycle from Pittsburg to DC using the bicycle trail but probably wrong time of year to try that.

Two to three days along the OB would be plenty, camp at the National Seashore and ferry a few places to ride and wander. Hit the VA mtns and trail system,both New River and VA Creeper on your way home.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
Bicycling along coastal south is going to be on mostly sandy tracks, just not much else around here. You'll be able to cover lots of miles in a day, tallest hill is two feet.

Ever hear of the bicycle trails along the New River in Virginia? Lots of bicycling and camping in the Fries and Draper regions. Good brewery in Galax VA and camping there with trail access, cheap cabins too. Chestnut Creek. Extensive state park system along the New River and the trail is over 50 miles. Good forest service roads to Burkes Garden that would be a blast on bicycles. Decent bike shop in Galax and also Draper for info. Plenty of hills too.

There is also an extensive bicycle trail system through WV. Heard about someone riding their bicycle from Pittsburg to DC using the bicycle trail but probably wrong time of year to try that.

Two to three days along the OB would be plenty, camp at the National Seashore and ferry a few places to ride and wander. Hit the VA mtns and trail system,both New River and VA Creeper on your way home.
Would those areas be bikable this time of year (late march)? I would love those trails, but my concern is that it is too early in the year.

I like your last idea. Really want to go to OB, but realize there is not great biking there. Looking for something else to do in that area.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
4PawsHacienda
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, late March is just too risky. 40% of the time weather co-operates but Murphy says when you come it will be historically cold and wet. Outer Banks really good place to visit and so are coastal NC and SC but hate for you guys to spend a week in a car driving around instead of having fun riding your bikes.

charleston SC great and weather good then. Anywhere with hills and good mountain biking going to have too much mud and snow in March.

Sorry, everything I can come up with around here is just a road trip rather than any good riding for that time of year.

Maybe a week in Myrtle Beach drinking beer and meeting southern girls isn't so bad.

Can always just wing it depending on how the weather looks when you,want to leave, plenty of room everywhere then since it's too,early for tourist crowd.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think we are going to try Asheville and hope for the best. After that we are going to do some road/camping biking along the outer banks. Anyone know of any good campsites down there. Planning on doing 85+ miles over two days.