Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Canada Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Monterrey to Albuqerque NM

Hello All,

Just reaching out to get some feedback on the following route. If anyone has any suggestions of a must ride road that I've missed or a park please let me know. As well I'd like to get an idea of the average temperatures in these areas for beginning of July. I know it will be hot some days but just want to ensure it is not a dangerous area to ride in the July month. We are going to try out the new MACNA cooling vests that we purchased from Twisted Throttle in hopes that they will cool us down on the really hot days.

If anyone wants more detail on the route let me know and I can post the turn by turn route.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Old 01-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
DRTDEVL
n00b

Oddometer: 8
You may want to rethink WPs 28-33. Phoenix will be in the triple digits in July, and Parker, AZ (I assume that is WP 32) will be around 120* or more. If you *must* pass through these parts, its best for a night ride only. When I stopped to see my Aunt in July last year (she lives 6 miles North of Parker) it was 128* and the AC in my truck could barely keep up.
DRTDEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Canada Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTDEVL View Post
You may want to rethink WPs 28-33. Phoenix will be in the triple digits in July, and Parker, AZ (I assume that is WP 32) will be around 120* or more. If you *must* pass through these parts, its best for a night ride only. When I stopped to see my Aunt in July last year (she lives 6 miles North of Parker) it was 128* and the AC in my truck could barely keep up.
Yikes! So you would suggest missing the numbers 28 -33…The only reason we chose these was the group had hoped to get to the Joshua Tree which is #33.
Would you then suggest staying North and going through Flagstaff again? As I assume any further south will just get hotter.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
DRTDEVL
n00b

Oddometer: 8
According to the almanac, Kingman averages 96* in July, Phoenix 106*, Yuma 107*, Parker 108* and Blythe 109*. Problem with your route is Vegas is at 105*. Short of taking the waaaaaay northern route through Reno (92*), you will have to suffer across the desert at some point.

I would pop back across to Flagstaff instead of Phoenix, get to Kingman and halt. Head to Laughlin in the wee early hours (like 0400), head out of town on the 163 to US95, then West on 164 to I-15. You will be turning south on CA 247 once you reach Barstow sometime just after daybreak. You should be in Yucca Valley by 1000, stop there for the day and get a room in the A/C. Joshua Tree NP is hot as hell in July, too, but its only and average of 103*. Head into the park after 1600 when it starts to cool off, then again in the early morning hours. The bonus will be the scenery granted you by the incredible desert sunrises and sunsets. Leaving the park from the South on Cottonwood Springs Road will put you back on your planned route at WP 34, but once again, beware the heat. You will pass through Mecca(average 109*) before hitting the Salton Sea. Get past Borrego Springs (average 107** before 1100 so you don't fry. Once you get to Julian, you are finally in the clear (average 85*).

It can be done, but it all is dependent upon your timing. Don't get caught out in the elements between 1100 and 1600, especially if you are on an air-cooled machine... you will fry in short order.
DRTDEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,591
Between the South Rim and the Hoover Dam you should try to take the two lane that runs north of I-40. I think it's the old route 66

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Between the South Rim and the Hoover Dam you should try to take the two lane that runs north of I-40. I think it's the old route 66
It is old route 66. You can pick it up at Seligman, AZ, and take it to Kingman. Then you can also take it from Kingman to Oatman, and then to Needles (a great, scenic, twisty road -- but watch out for the burros!). But if you are doing this in July, the section from Kingman to Oatman and Needles is best done early in the morning.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Canada Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
It is old route 66. You can pick it up at Seligman, AZ, and take it to Kingman. Then you can also take it from Kingman to Oatman, and then to Needles (a great, scenic, twisty road -- but watch out for the burros!). But if you are doing this in July, the section from Kingman to Oatman and Needles is best done early in the morning.
Yes will definetly revise the route to do a couple miles on route 66. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Mike View Post
Yikes! So you would suggest missing the numbers 28 -33…The only reason we chose these was the group had hoped to get to the Joshua Tree which is #33.
Would you then suggest staying North and going through Flagstaff again? As I assume any further south will just get hotter.
You. Assume wrongly ! Get yourself a good map showing topography and elevation and you will see lots of high country which stays very reasonable temperature even in mid summer. Eg think of Prescott
Enjoy the hot weather, drink lots of water
Remember winter in Canada !

PS . Your post title had me thinking you were riding from Nuevo Leon , Mexico
then your map shows it is California USA. : ). Careful on the spelling , jajajaja

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 06:59 AM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,087
I would be surprised if Blythe is only 109. I was there in early August, and it was 110 by 10 am, and 117 in the hottest part of the day.

Joshua Tree is pretty interesting, though, so maybe you could just get an early start on days where you are facing a hot stretch. That is what workers do out there; begin at sunrise, and find shelter (or shade) by 2 pm. There is something fascinating about being in the desert at sunrise, and the cooling vests will shave 10 degrees off noon temperatures.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote