Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #91
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Maybe the clutch cable intentionally out-of-spec adjustment will be all that is needed. She hasn't tried the bike yet since I just did it this morning.
G'day mate, I've worked as an instructor since '99, (I'm not offering my services, I'm on the other side of the planet) sorta like an ozzie MSF instructor.

We had a few current model xt 225's in the fleet and currently use scorpio 225's - same engine in a road bike.

We'll I've show you mine, feel free to post up a pic of yours!

By adjusting the clutch like you have it often makes it easier for people with shorter fingers to use the clutch as the friction zone is in the middle of the range of movement of their fingers, but also the amount of leverage the lever has over the cable changes and will make the friction zone seem a little wider which usually helps too.

Often people that ride off road (myself included, and perhaps yourself) have their levers set down low so they are comfortable to use when riding standing up. But having the levers set low like that can make it hard for novices with shorter fingers, having them close to horizontal with the handlebar is what I've found is best for novices.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!

rjf screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 03:57 PM
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #92
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf View Post
G'day mate, I've worked as an instructor since '99, (I'm not offering my services, I'm on the other side of the planet) sorta like an ozzie MSF instructor.

We had a few current model xt 225's in the fleet and currently use scorpio 225's - same engine in a road bike.

We'll I've show you mine, feel free to post up a pic of yours!

By adjusting the clutch like you have it often makes it easier for people with shorter fingers to use the clutch as the friction zone is in the middle of the range of movement of their fingers, but also the amount of leverage the lever has over the cable changes and will make the friction zone seem a little wider which usually helps too.

Often people that ride off road (myself included, and perhaps yourself) have their levers set down low so they are comfortable to use when riding standing up. But having the levers set low like that can make it hard for novices with shorter fingers, having them close to horizontal with the handlebar is what I've found is best for novices.
Don't waste your time...the guy doesn't want any advices. He knows everything, his wife knows what she wants, everyone's happy.

END OF THREAD
Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #93
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
didn't ry the clutch yet but still a little 'adventue' lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf View Post
...By adjusting the clutch like you have it often makes it easier for people with shorter fingers to use the clutch as the friction zone is in the middle of the range of movement of their fingers, but also the amount of leverage the lever has over the cable changes and will make the friction zone seem a little wider which usually helps too.
The levers on her bike are horizontal for road. She does know how to stand up but doesn't need to very often now that she's not doing trail.

I was hoping she'd try out the new adjustment tonoght but it's really hot here and she jsut didn't feel like it. Hot & tired. Says she'll try tomorrow after she gets back from a board meeting.

But we had our little amusement. I get tired easily due to my illness and had stayed out at the office too long. I was really dragging too, and realized that I'd left my bike's keys in the ignition, with the bike out in the shed. I asked her if she would please go get them for me since I was tired.

She'd already started to tke her clothes off but said okay. there was set of Ugg boots near the door so she set out for the shed in the Uggs and bottomless. It looked pretty funny to see her walking up the driveway that way, especially with the Ugg boots (I told you we lived in a rural area). So that was our adventure.

BTW, she came back and said the keys weren't there. She said she even looked on the table that's outside the shed. I turned my gear, helmet, gloves upside down and inside out, looked everywhere in the house, couldn't find them. So this time I went out to the shed, and there they were just where I thought they'd be. Turns out my wife had walked past the bike they were in (which was hot) to look at a different bike that's in there, which was cold.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #94
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Don't waste your time...the guy doesn't want any advices. He knows everything, his wife knows what she wants, everyone's happy. END OF THREAD

That's what I'm sayin....ha. It's like beating a dead horse.

MoveON.org. Like he said, he didn't ask us!
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #95
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
That's what I'm sayin....ha. It's like beating a dead horse.

MoveON.org. Like he said, he didn't ask us!
Yup or move it to JM where replies will be more direct

and I can ask more important questions like ....

How does someone survive in an office job these days if they can't manage emails or at least post to facebook

My mind is boggled
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #96
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
So you're like a chick.
Yeah, sometimes. Maybe that's why I don't need to start posts desperately seeking dating advice.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #97
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Don't waste your time...the guy doesn't want any advices. He knows everything, his wife knows what she wants, everyone's happy.
Right pal, any thread that doesn't call for YOU telling the OP what to do is useless. Who is it again who thinks he knows everything? Remember, the internet only exists for YOU to tell people what they should do.

In the meantime we're waiting for her to try out the new clutch arrangement, that may just take care of that issue. She's ridden 3 other bikes (XR-80, DR-200, TTR-125L) without having difficulty with the clutch so perhaps there is some other factor, and some other answer, than 'switch to a scooter, it doesn't have a clutch'.

But noooo, a scooter is the answer to EVERYTHING. If everyone would only ride one, we'd have whirled peas.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #98
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Right pal, any thread that doesn't call for YOU telling the OP what to do is useless. Who is it again who thinks he knows everything? Remember, the internet only exists for YOU to tell people what they should do.
Dude...you'll have to understand that you're on a PUBLIC forum...not in front of your mirror.

Think about it the next time you'll like to start a monologue.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #99
Tirespin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
viverrid, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a tough spot to be in. I think it's great that the two of you spend time together doing something you love, even while you each face challenges with it.

I'm not sure why folks are turning hostile about your thread. FWIW, I think the recluse is a good idea, but I won't be po'd if you don't agree or don't want the advice. Other than that, my advice is, keep it fun for both of you, it's not supposed to be work.

I'll just add - FUCK CANCER.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #100
Scooterchick
And then what?

Quote:
Dude...you'll have to understand that you're on a PUBLIC forum...not in front of your mirror. Think about it the next time you'll like to start a monologue.
Good sound advice, SgtDuster. Not that he asked any of us for any...

Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #101
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
How many of these people described are blondes? Stroke survivors? Blonde stroke survivors?

My point being...These people are licensed to operate a cage on public roads?

My unwanted advice? 'Time to put on their big-girl panties and stop crying. Move to Germany for a few years. They'll either have to get somewhat proficient at operating their machinery or they won't be allowed to do it on a public road. Period.

Necessity breeds proficiency.

They're endangering themselves and others by not putting in the time and effort necessary to develop the proficiency needed to be safe in traffic.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #102
Scooterchick
And then what?

Germany! Now, there's an eye opener for you. I lived there for 5 years while serving in the military. They don't mess around. You get into an accident over there and you probably ain't walking away from it.

Otherwise, just let the rest of us know what side of the road she is on. We'll be on the other!

Scooterchick screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 12:08 AM
Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #103
Scooterchick
And then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirespin View Post
.....I'm not sure why folks are turning hostile about your thread. FWIW, I think the recluse is a good idea, but I won't be po'd if you don't agree or don't want the advice. Other than that, my advice is, keep it fun for both of you, it's not supposed to be work.......
I don't know if you have put the time in reading this guys post about the riding deficiency of his wife, who also ended his first post with a "WTF"; which impied that he wanted someone to shed some light on this for him. Just to be told 7 PAGES LATER, that he didn't ask for any advice on a dialogue that "he" kept going...??.

Well, I certainly understand why he is getting the responses that he is. Look at the responses that "he" has given. I mean... REALLY???

If he just wanted to tell us how bad she is in riding, or how absent minded she is, fine. If he wants us to admire the inattentivness that she shows, we probably won't knowing thatshe is a danger to herself and others right now.

If he wants company because of his recent diagnosis, and couldn't think of any other topic to start with, that is also fine. But don't end the post with a gesture that implies that understanding is needed or suggestions are welcomed and then get hostile toward the people that have tried to bring some understanding to the situation.

This is a PUBLIC forum. He is not simply "brain storming" with himself on here. You invite others into the situation when you posted it and made it public. When you don't want people in your business, you DON'T POST IT ON HERE! Or any other forum for that matter. . Otherwise, it is subject to interpretation and comment. That's life in cyber space. A little forethought can go a long way when it comes to posting things on the internet.

Everyone has expressed their concern for his wife's safety and the safety of others from more instruction, to more seat time, to clutch modification, to different modes of transportation; which is why all of the suggestions came about. If he's not open to any of it....then...........there you go. Now, do you understand?

I hope the clutch modification works for her. Hopefully, it will make things safer for her and everyone else too!

Scooterchick screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 12:09 AM
Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #104
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
I don't know if you have put the time in reading this guys post about the riding deficiency of his wife, who also ended his first post with a "WTF"; which impied that he wanted someone to shed some light on this for him. Just to be told 7 PAGES LATER, that he didn't ask for any advice on a dialogue that "he" kept going...??.

Well, I certainly understand why he is getting the responses that he is. Look at the responses that "he" has given. I mean... REALLY???

If he just wanted to tell us how bad she is in riding, or how absent minded she is, fine. If he wants us to admire the inattentivness that she shows, we probably won't knowing thatshe is a danger to herself and others right now.

If he wants company because of his recent diagnosis, and couldn't think of any other topic to start with, that is also fine. But don't end the post with a gesture that implies that understanding is needed or suggestions are welcomed and then get hostile toward the people that have tried to bring some understanding to the situation.

This is a PUBLIC forum. He is not simply "brain storming" with himself on here. You invite others into the situation when you posted it and made it public. When you don't want people in your business, you DON'T POST IT ON HERE! Or any other forum for that matter. . Otherwise, it is subject to interpretation and comment. That's life in cyber space. A little forethought can go a long way when it comes to posting things on the internet.

Everyone has expressed their concern for his wife's safety and the safety of others from more instruction, to more seat time, to clutch modification, to different modes of transportation; which is why all of the suggestions came about. If he's not open to any of it....then...........there you go. Now, do you understand?

I hope the clutch modification works for her. Hopefully, it will make things safer for her and everyone else too!
+1000000

I was literally about to say the same damn thing...and then I said "nevermind" to myself.

Sent from my PC using a keyboard
Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #105
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Timely thread.

My 40 yr. old wife suddenly decided she wanted to get her endorsement about a month ago. The idea scares the snot out of me. We just got back from her first bike trip (her as a pillion, a week-long trip). We loved it and she is now signed up for the local MSF course in September.

My wife has no motorcycle experience but as a teenager did drive a car with a MT (so there is that). She is type-A, over-confident, and loves to speed everywhere. The worst thing is she has low situation awareness while driving, but doesn't seem to realize it. These are not good traits for a beginning cyclist, and I'm scared for her.

I've been trying to talk her out of it, but once she signed up for the MSF course have started supporting her. My plan is to let her use my XL-250 (low power, low seat height), and take her to empty parking lots and the desert as much as possible after the MSF course to build her skills. I'll be following this thread for more ideas.

Anyways...I totally agree that some people just aren't cut out for certain things. It took me 20 years to realize that no matter how many hours I spend practicing the guitar, I simply lack the "knack" and will basically be very mediocre at it no matter what. The difference is my mediocre guitar playing won't get me killed.

Good luck to us both!

Boo
Boo, you just described my girlfriend to a T. All you would have to do is look at her car to cement your description of her......both fenders banged up, rear dented up from backing into things......its bad.

A little story about a trip to the grocery store. A semi truck (full size) had pulled in behind her car about 20 feet back while we were inside. While we walked out to the car you were facing it and walking towards it (it was parked broadside....so were talking an 80ft long billboard).....there in all its glory. She got in the car.......backed straight into it and then jumped out and yelled "where the fuck did that come from".......

She drives to fast for condition.....tears away from every stop sign at full speed......locks the brakes up at ever stop sign to stop. Never slows down for train tracks and has almost ripped the underside of her car off several times.

.....plainly put.....she cant drive for shit.

Now about 4 years ago she decided she wanted to ride a motorcycle. A week in the yard on a dirt bike and she had the basics down. Then she was on the road........and to my complete surprise she is a fantastic rider.

I say ALL THE TIME.......Id rather ride behind her on a motorcycle then next to her in a car.

For shits and giggles we both took the basic rider class a week ago - never hurts, right.

She passed fine.....and got 0 points on the riding portion.

I passed fine......but got 10 points on the riding portion (I clipped an inside white line on a cornering exercise)

All hope is not lost.......I mean, in reality it doesn't make since.....but you can be a better rider then a driver.

.......and no, being a rider hasnt made her a better driver. She still cant drive for shit.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote