User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Had this happen to a well used 60 powered by batteries. Called Garmin and the cheerfully replaced it, the replacement has been trouble free.

The rain that did in the 1st unit was moderately heavy but short (30 minuets) and the speeds were low (off-road). This did shake my confidence somewhat. If I had it to do over again I would go for the 76.

Given most outdoor Garmin units meet the same standard for water proof I am also question the response from Garmin. If that is their stand do like a Doctors visit and never say it happened on a motorcycle.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
mhm2a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
1more

I lost one to moisture due to prolonged exposure to high speeds and hard rain. I purchased another and so far so good but if it's raining hard enough I will stick it in the gear bag. I kept the old one and it sounds like garmin may warranty it? It is worth a shot I suppose.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
If that is their stand do like a Doctors visit and never say it happened on a motorcycle.
Bruce
In emergency room ALWAYS take off all riding gear and say you were riding and fell or got kicked by a horse!

Otherwise you will never see a doctor.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #19
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
In emergency room ALWAYS take off all riding gear and say you were riding and fell or got kicked by a horse!

Otherwise you will never see a doctor.
Well, that's not quite true. At least in my experience.

Plus, if you want to go to the front of the ER line, just tell them you have chest pains.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Oddometer: 118
GPS 62s Failure

I have had one mounted on my KLR for about 20,000 kilometres and it decided to quit. One day it started showing me off the coast of Libya (i think) - O lat - 0 long. The compass also stopped working. It was just 13 months old when it died. Garmin is charging me $110.00 to repair my almost $500 unit. I am just now sending it in having already paid for the repair (Garmins method) and will have to wait to see the results.
I have not had one fail like this before.
Has anyone tried Delorme for their bikes?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #21
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFA View Post
I have had one mounted on my KLR for about 20,000 kilometres and it decided to quit. One day it started showing me off the coast of Libya (i think) - O lat - 0 long. The compass also stopped working. It was just 13 months old when it died. Garmin is charging me $110.00 to repair my almost $500 unit. I am just now sending it in having already paid for the repair (Garmins method) and will have to wait to see the results.
I have not had one fail like this before.
How was this unit powered? AA Batteries or hard wired via mini USB?

Fairly sure you will receive a new condition "refurbished" unit, not yours repaired. I have had 2 such units (a 60 and a Nuvi 550) and both were perfect, having no evidence of prior use.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #22
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
How was this unit powered? AA Batteries or hard wired via mini USB?

Fairly sure you will receive a new condition "refurbished" unit, not yours repaired. I have had 2 such units (a 60 and a Nuvi 550) and both were perfect, having no evidence of prior use.

Bruce
USB powered but it still had batteries in it.

Thats one problem with this unit is the USB power. I don't think its a very durable plug for something like that. The USB plug is what Garmin says you should use to power it other than batteries. The plug is so small and unsupported that it is susceptible to problems.

I am using a MAP 78s and it has a much better power plug.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #23
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFA View Post
Yes!

I replaced a Delorme PN-40 with a Garmin GPSmap 62s.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
meijer's trails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I had the delorme PN-20. i want a garmin because EVERYBODY else uses garmin in dualsports.
i had the battery contacts break loose, its seeped in wated several times, suck down battery power, the screen doesnt scroll, to follow a gpx route, you have to just load it as a picture and the topoUSA program is somewhat difficult to get used to.

i think they look cool, like liferaft emergency equipment, though.

delorme offered me $50 for it toward a pn-60 or pn-60w. i still want a garmin.
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,207
The only reason I can think of that might be considered to make a 60CSx (topic of this thread) not suitable for a motorbike is the aerial sticking up that has sometimes been snagged by the front brake hose.

76CSx owner
Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #26
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 984
I hope the OP gets his issue fixed, having 2 do that might make you think the 60 is a bad unit, but by far the majority of thumper riders I know or have met use the 60 series. It sounds like the 62 no longer has the large 4 prong power port and is just usb, bad move for garmin. I had a couple etrex units and the usb power was the weak point on an other wise stout unit.

My 60csx sees some terrible abuse, 10,000+ klicks a year on the DR, frequently submerged in bilge water on canoe trips. In winter it sees duty on the handle bars of a 800cc twin cylinder 2 stroke snowmobile, just a little vibration and harsh weather conditions there. So I,ll knock on wood and hope the good service continues.

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #27
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
The 60CSX is indeed a stout GPS, however it is not bombproof.

I have managed to have three fail on me for my off road and DS riding. Two failed due to vibration breaking contacts on the circuit board and one unit flooded with water. Garmin replaced all three units with refurbs. Tough units but not bombproof.

My buddy reassembling the third unit that took on water in Cambodia.

Took it apart and dried it in the sun for a few hours and reassembled with a large bead of silicone. No more issues and simply returned it to Garmin when I got back to the states.

Don't expect perfection and you'll never be disappointed, something I'm learning living in South East Asia.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
The 60CSX is indeed a stout GPS, however it is not bombproof.

I have managed to have three fail on me for my off road and DS riding. Two failed due to vibration breaking contacts on the circuit board and one unit flooded with water. Garmin replaced all three units with refurbs. Tough units but not bombproof.

My buddy reassembling the third unit that took on water in Cambodia.

Took it apart and dried it in the sun for a few hours and reassembled with a large bead of silicone. No more issues and simply returned it to Garmin when I got back to the states.

Don't expect perfection and you'll never be disappointed, something I'm learning living in South East Asia.
I like your last line.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #29
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,339
Neither of my 60csx units has failed me.
The first one came from a batch that had the power switch set too deep into the unit and from using pens and such to operate it I perforated the rubber, so that one is now for hiking and the car. My other one, the switch is good, and both have been dead reliable, they are tough little suckers. But as stated above, any gadget can fail.
Given what was on the market when I got mine, there was no real alternative, I am happy with my choices. I guess the OP has just been unlucky.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #30
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Neither of my 60csx units has failed me. Given what was on the market when I got mine, there was no real alternative, I am happy with my choices.
60s have many reported failures or just broken off antenna. 76 has identical function without the issues. We just had a couple 60s on Mex2Can and one started having power switch problems.