Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #136
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 444
At least you have all your spokes...don't you?

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #137
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
At least you have all your spokes...don't you?
Spokes all survived. I even checked them before the ride knowing we would be off road a lot.

I'm one of the early owners who lost a nipple and bent up a spoke. Bought a full set of spokes
to get one nipple and spoke. Never needed one since. I'd prefer to replace a spoke over dealing
with the bent wheels if the bike would give me a choice.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #138
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,401
Test rode a tenere at a dealer demo day. Pretty good test although no dirt. I wanted to compare it to a GS, thought it was better in a lot of ways. Also tested a GS.

The Tenere feels more modern, is smoother, more fun to ride. Slow speed handling and torque twist on the GS was a detractor. The Tenere definitely needs the clutch fuse thingy though as the detuned ecu for 1-3 is more than horrible. When you grab the throttle it feels like it coughs - there's just not much there.

I'm 55 and 170lbs, so both bikes felt too heavy to me. I'm a dirtbiker from way back, used to a 230lb dirt machine. But I wanted a competent adventure bike, road bike, and something for 2-up. I was replacing a Kawasaki Versys.

Ruled out 'strada, too finicky, and all road oriented with the 17 front. Ruled out the 990, too much bodywork and it seems the EFI is a lightswitch that some just never get used to.

I bought a Tiger 800XC a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. They are really sorted, the motor is electric smooth, and it's about 100lbs lighter than everything else. For me, that's what drew me in, then the rest of it was just icing.

Were it not for the Tiger I would probably be a Tenere owner. I think they're great bikes, the flaws are minor and many can be dealt with. I doubt I could pick up any of them once loaded but the bigger bikes are just way too heavy for me. Wifey really likes the tiger pillion too, it's lightyears ahead of the Versys.

For really tough going I think these are all the wrong bikes - I have a Husky TE630 for that. When I ride with the big bikes in that stuff they are either pissed or envious, but none are happy on their heavy bikes. I woudn't think of bringing my Tiger on a lot of the terrain we get into, I use it more as a roadbike.

I really believe a guy has to decide the type ofriding he's going to do and pick the best tool for that. For so many, they do it backwards - they pick a bike and then try to make it work in terrain that isn't ideal. I see big dualsports on single track that a lightweighter would be so much better for. And I've ridden with big bikes in terrain that is fun on the husky and they are just getting their butt kicked. For road going and touring, the big bikes are in their element.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #139
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
My pet peeve is back. These shitty butter rims. After taking most the summer away
from the Beast the cooler weather got me out on an amazing ride yesterday.

Washing up this morning I could feel the flat spot on the rear wheel. This is getting
to be bullshit. It's the fourth time I will have sent wheels to Woody's to be fixed.

It does help that I can't remember the last time I had so much fun on a ride.
It almost made it worth it.
Hmmm,block of wood, FBHammer...with tyre still on,then ride on...?
Plan #2 get a KTM
Old 09-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #140
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
Hmmm,block of wood, FBHammer...with tyre still on,then ride on...?
Plan #2 get a KTM
Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind. Sometimes the medicine can be
the poison.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #141
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Real words of motorcycle wisdom!

[QUOTE=browneye;19615673]
I really believe a guy has to decide the type of riding he's going to do and pick the best tool for that. For so many, they do it backwards - they pick a bike and then try to make it work in terrain that isn't ideal.[/QUOTE

Well said!

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #142
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind. Sometimes the medicine can be
the poison.

Feck me. Your supposed to ride em, not drop them out of helicopters.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #143
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Spoke with Woody's today. They had to order parts. So a couple weeks before
I can get the "New and Improved" set up. I'll go see if something else in the garage
will start. All has been ignored since the wheel bending Beast showed up.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #144
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,998
Quote:
Spoke with Woody's today. They had to order parts.

They have heard about you. They Had to talk to NASA about some special unobtainium that would do the job.

After you get these NASA wheels, what excuses are you thinking of trying next

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #145
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,773
Pluric, I have got to ask. What in the heck are you doing to your bike to bend the wheels like this?

I love my Tenere but I'm under no delusion that its a 300lb dirt bike.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #146
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,502
While I love my Tenere, I do have a few gripes with it.

Sitting at about 9k miles right now.

- The side mounted radiator - It gives off too much heat. When the temps are cooler, it isn't an issue at all, but here in Oklahoma we can have 100F+ temps for weeks on end. As long as I'm sitting properly with both hands on the handlebars, it's fine. When I'm on a long slab run, however, I tend to like to rest my left hand on my leg, or lay it across the tank, and I just can't do that on the Tenere because as soon as I take my hand off the handlebar I can feel the heat coming off the radiator. Fall, winter, and spring are no problem, but it's very uncomfortable in the summer heat. For a bike that does long distance so well, I need to be able to move around a little bit without getting punished with excess radiator heat.

- The seat - I know everybody's rear end is different, but the seat on the Tenere just isn't as comfortable to me as the seat on the DL1000. It's fine, but not great. Again, for a bike that does long distance so well, it should be better.

- Shifting - I've heard time and time again people praising the gearbox on the S10, so something must be wrong with mine. It shifts like a truck. Notchy, clunky, loud, ugh. Hate it.

I do like the bike as a whole and have no plans of replacing it. Might even pick one up for the gf, but it isn't exactly "perfect" imo.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #147
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,165
You probably have already heard about needing to pull the shifter and grease the shaft after cleaning the shifter. Shifts great after that, some have even put a zerk in the shifter right over the groove in the shaft.

I got some of that Enid, Ok heat in July on the way to Un-Rally in Salida, Co. 109f when we stopped.

I put on a Corbin right before leaving for Alaska in June, worked great! I made 10,006 miles in 21 days, camping mostly.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #148
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
They have heard about you. They Had to talk to NASA about some special unobtainium that would do the job.

After you get these NASA wheels, what excuses are you thinking of trying next
wfopete and I are starting a Haters Gonna Hate Tenere club. So far we are the only two members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
Pluric, I have got to ask. What in the heck are you doing to your bike to bend the wheels like this?

I love my Tenere but I'm under no delusion that its a 300lb dirt bike.
Not 100% sure. It must have something to do with the mass of my ass equals the ding in the thing.

I do admit I start out riding it like a 1200cc Beast then one thing leads to another and it's so fun to have all
that wheel spinning power on tap that speed could be a factor. It also gets into some trails that are not your
average groomed gravel roads.

In the Tenere's defense my smaller bore trail bikes have a few dings too. Must be all these Utah rocks???

Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #149
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
While I love my Tenere, I do have a few gripes with it.

Sitting at about 9k miles right now.

- The side mounted radiator - It gives off too much heat. When the temps are cooler, it isn't an issue at all, but here in Oklahoma we can have 100F+ temps for weeks on end. As long as I'm sitting properly with both hands on the handlebars, it's fine. When I'm on a long slab run, however, I tend to like to rest my left hand on my leg, or lay it across the tank, and I just can't do that on the Tenere because as soon as I take my hand off the handlebar I can feel the heat coming off the radiator. Fall, winter, and spring are no problem, but it's very uncomfortable in the summer heat. For a bike that does long distance so well, I need to be able to move around a little bit without getting punished with excess radiator heat.

- The seat - I know everybody's rear end is different, but the seat on the Tenere just isn't as comfortable to me as the seat on the DL1000. It's fine, but not great. Again, for a bike that does long distance so well, it should be better.

- Shifting - I've heard time and time again people praising the gearbox on the S10, so something must be wrong with mine. It shifts like a truck. Notchy, clunky, loud, ugh. Hate it.

I do like the bike as a whole and have no plans of replacing it. Might even pick one up for the gf, but it isn't exactly "perfect" imo.
The Tiger kicks out a LOT of heat at low speed, and it heats up a lot at traffic lights. You can feel it climbing grades, but overall it's tolerable. The seat is stellar, pillion was re-worked and recovered for less slope, more dish, more foam. Fortunately not so great seats can be re-worked. I imagine there are lots of options to modify the Tenere seat. I wonder if the seat guy Spencer does them. He did a bunch for Versys owners, the stockers were universally horrible, and they looked good, worked good, for under $300. I did mine myself. If you're handy with upholstery there are some fantastic DIY how-to's online. The all seem to benefit from a more pronounced dish shape for your butt which reduces pressure points, and proper cushioning for the bones that support your weight. Sorry, no scientific descriptors for you.

For shifting, try loading the shifter as the next gear is coming up, then click up as soon as you pull the clutch and just a tiny blip of the throttle. Most bike trannies seem to benefit from this technique - instant smooth shift. I noticed the clunky downshifting on my test ride, but I gotta tell you the GS is worse. The Tiger can be a little notchy downshifting if you don't transition down as you decellerate. If you stop before downshifting sometimes it won't shift at all without bumping the clutch to get the shafts moving. The Versys trans was really clunky and required the quick-shift technique to get smooth shifts out of it.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #150
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,502
When the gear shift gets real bad, I get mad at it and shift it without the clutch. It actually seems to smooth out for a bit after I do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
You probably have already heard about needing to pull the shifter and grease the shaft after cleaning the shifter. Shifts great after that, some have even put a zerk in the shifter right over the groove in the shaft.
Haven't heard about that. I'll give it a shot.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote