Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #166
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I don't own one, but some things to consider:
  • Some feel that it the bike is great in the twisties, with a low center of gravity, but others feel that the torque seems to be a soft hit and the acceleration less than outstanding - so, not much help; and
  • The steering geometry is deliberately slow, with a relaxed rake of 28* and a longer trail (4.96"), and a longish wheel-base (60.6") to handle well off-road - hence not quite so "sporty" on-road.
I think you'll have to ride one yourself to see if it meets your expectations relative to the C-10 Connie.
What the Gryph says is true.

It's not a sports tourer in the "pin sharp built for purpose" model.

The trouble is that the bike is built to do well in lots of places. That's what puts a smile on the dial, not that it does on thing brilliantly, but does many things well.

The more relaxed engine is more suitable for gravel, slop and great range, not for rocket ship stuff, but again is no slouch. Plenty of bikes will win the drag race by a bit over a single surface.

Put in multiple surfaces over 300Km and it may be a different story. While I noticed the turn in to be a bit slower after a more sports oriented bike, I also noticed that crappy surfaces mid corner and back road twisties with potholes and heaves didn't bother it that much, where before it was a bit of a pain.

So if you love a twisty road with perfect surfaces and rocket launch acceleration and that's all you do then it's probably not for you.

On the other other hand compared to an older Connie you may not miss much and gain a whole lot more off the tarmac.

Go for a ride see what YOU think.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #167
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,197
Just don't ride a new triumph tiger 800. It does all that and will rocket out of the corners. The triple is a gem. Once experienced not soon forgotten. Electric motor smooth, and tuned for linear power in the new Tiger.

I only test rode the Tenere, generally liked it, certainly more than the GS. However I found it so sorted it was a little bland. I'm sure if it got tweaked and opened up it would feel more lively. It's bloated weight generally turned me off, same for the GS and Stelvio. All very nice bikes though.

With the right wind screen I think you would find any of these adventure touring bikes satisfactory for road going. Ridden in a spirtited fashion they all have plenty of pep.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #168
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I don't own one, but some things to consider:
  • Some feel that it the bike is great in the twisties, with a low center of gravity, but others feel that the torque seems to be a soft hit and the acceleration less than outstanding - so, not much help; and
  • The steering geometry is deliberately slow, with a relaxed rake of 28* and a longer trail (4.96"), and a longish wheel-base (60.6") to handle well off-road - hence not quite so "sporty" on-road.
I think you'll have to ride one yourself to see if it meets your expectations relative to the C-10 Connie.
Would I be correct in assuming that setting the sag/damping can also help to enliven things with one of these?

Reason I ask is that I'm getting closer and closer to a new bike purchase.

After my last experience with Kawasaki (which really deserves its own thread at this point) I've decided not to purchase a new Concours. The FJR and the S10 are my current front-runners, with the KTM 990 a close second.

Still trying to make up my mind!
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #169
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Just don't ride a new triumph tiger 800. It does all that and will rocket out of the corners. The triple is a gem. Once experienced not soon forgotten. Electric motor smooth, and tuned for linear power in the new Tiger.

I only test rode the Tenere, generally liked it, certainly more than the GS. However I found it so sorted it was a little bland. I'm sure if it got tweaked and opened up it would feel more lively. It's bloated weight generally turned me off, same for the GS and Stelvio. All very nice bikes though.

With the right wind screen I think you would find any of these adventure touring bikes satisfactory for road going. Ridden in a spirtited fashion they all have plenty of pep.
I can assure you that the s10 is a lot faster than the tiger 800.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #170
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post

I can assure you that my dad is tougher than yours.

Oh my god.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #171
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
That's why they make the 1200 Explorer. Now you're talking 1200 vs. 1200 and it isn't even close.

DLFLHT screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 09:36 PM
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #172
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
Would I be correct in assuming that setting the sag/damping can also help to enliven things with one of these?

Reason I ask is that I'm getting closer and closer to a new bike purchase.

After my last experience with Kawasaki (which really deserves its own thread at this point) I've decided not to purchase a new Concours. The FJR and the S10 are my current front-runners, with the KTM 990 a close second.

Still trying to make up my mind!
I believe that you need to set the sag correctly on any bike to make it handle well. But I don't think it will liven-up the ride. You should review the first of WASP's threads, where he discusses setting the rear ride height with an adjustable rear shock. THAT changed the handling dynamics on the road, but of course too much will hurt off-road handling severely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFLHT View Post
That's why they make the 1200 Explorer. Now you're talking 1200 vs. 1200 and it isn't even close.
Yes, by all means, compare 1200 to 1200 for power and speed. But the S-10 reports indicate that it is MUCH better off-road than the new Triumph. So, where you spend most of your time will dictate which bike best suits your needs. Your ego, on the other hand, may be a tougher demand to satisfy.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #173
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So given all that the R1 should be even better right?

1200 Vs 1000 and it isn't even close...

Light, fast, just needs a bit of suspension work and big wheels.

Or maybe not..

So there you go. Problem solved.

And his dad is obviously the toughest.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 10:23 PM
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #174
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
As most owners do, you are overstating. I have a 800XC and I can tell you that it is a nice little bike but not near as good as you wish it to be. It is mostly a road bike and falls well short of being good in the rough going. It is lighter than the 1200cc dual sports but that is about the only thing that is better about it than the GS or S10.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #175
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
As most owners do, you are overstating. I have a 800XC and I can tell you that it is a nice little bike but not near as good as you wish it to be. It is mostly a road bike and falls well short of being good in the rough going. It is lighter than the 1200cc dual sports but that is about the only thing that is better about it than the GS or S10.
With help from companies like Touratech, you can easily turn your nice little bike into a proper beast.

Seriously, both bikes, stripped of bags/boxes, were fine for exploring DV's back roads like Titus Canyon, Racetrack, etc. Both bikes, of course, are awesome traveling the distance to get you to places like this and back as well.

Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #176
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
As an owner of one and a rider of both, that was not an overstatement. The triple motor has a huge advantage in grin factor when compared to the S10. At least in stock form. The T800 is also a bit easier to handle off road. BUT if you you plan on riding long distance 2up, then the S10 is a better pick. You can feel the S10's weight difference on and off road. Compared to the GS, the XC is just as good with a 15 tooth front sprocket and loads more dependable.
But lets not kid ourselves, none of these bikes will fare well on single tracks.

burmbuster screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 12:46 PM Reason: spelling, again.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #177
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
The 1200 Explorer is a road bike through and through, not the jack of all trades that the GS or Tenere were made for, & the cruise control sure is alluring. The owners of these 3 don't have chain ownership mess, cleaning, tension, etc - none of which are for me as a commuter & on distance rides.

On the next Yamaha test ride, take a mini fuse or even piece of bared wire and when out of sight of the dealer short the clutch switch. It opens the engine power map in the lower gears to make it more snappy, plus smooths the off idle EPA stumble that some bikes have.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #178
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
The 1200 Explorer is a road bike through and through, not the jack of all trades that the GS or Tenere were made for, & the cruise control sure is alluring. The owners of these 3 don't have chain ownership mess, cleaning, tension, etc - none of which are for me as a commuter & on distance rides.

On the next Yamaha test ride, take a mini fuse or even piece of bared wire and when out of sight of the dealer short the clutch switch. It opens the engine power map in the lower gears to make it more snappy, plus smooths the off idle EPA stumble that some bikes have.
0-60 is about the same between Explorer and S10, around 3.5 secs. I had the chance to try this out myself with two of us taking both out for a test ride at the same time and swapping bikes. Max effort runs were neck and neck up to 60 (100kph).

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #179
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

I think if it came with a cheap enough price tag, a flimsy factory bashplate and some fancy battle stickers, it might find it's fanbase, who would seriously start comparing it even to a 990 KTM Adventure. Nick Sanders RTW adventures would be cited as an expamle for it's versatility and aftermarket manufacturers would promote it's off-road capabilities and start designing stronger bashplates and other off-road farkles for it.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #180
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
I think if it came with a cheap enough price tag, a flimsy factory bashplate and some fancy battle stickers, it might find it's fanbase, who would seriously start comparing it even to a 990 KTM Adventure. Nick Sanders RTW adventures would be cited as an expamle for it's versatility and aftermarket manufacturers would promote it's off-road capabilities and start designing stronger bashplates and other off-road farkles for it.
But Mr Wind, apparently the more power the better. All the subtleties seem to get lost on some people..