Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #61
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
I've only seen two there recently. One of them was being sold for financial reasons. And guess what, he found a way to swing to the payments and is now keeping it http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809694

The other one was sold by MoBill who put 15,000 miles on it. No sure what his reasons were, but as far as what I read here he seemed pretty happy with it.

the lack of used Teneres in itself should tell you something
That's ME! I love the bike and I get to keep it! I switch bikes all the time. There is no other bike on the market I would rather have. I have had a lot considering I am 33. I have studied them all. The Super Tenere is great. I hear things sometimes negative about how it does off road but I have never seen any piece of sales literature where they say "take this to the MX track and Win or Be a beast at your local hair scramble". I have road the bike about 110mph for distance and get great mpg, no oil burn ext. I have had it on wide slow single/double track and it does better than my two F800GS's and my 1200GS all mostly stock. I can tell you that there is no better all around bike.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #62
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Fixt!

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #63
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-c View Post
Good for you JJ .

Now take it down to a decent painter and have it painted Yamaha Yellow with the Strobe pattern

Dan the Man!!!

What's happenin?!? I just wondered back into this thread, and found your post. I hope all is well for you and yours.

Are you kiddin' me?!?...paint it?!? There's a story there...

I have a friend whom I've known since high school (more like my sister). For some reason, she's always around when I'm pondering bikes, strolling around bike shops, or picking-up a new bike (She's my usual taxi to the shop.)

Anyhow, she was sittin' on the couch one night, while I was surfing ADV. I am one of the guys who wanted to wait until '13, to see if the white one was gonna' make it to the US. Well, she saw one of the blue ones, and that was it. My next bike was picked.

She would KILL ME if I even scratched it!...She loves that Yammie blue.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #64
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Bluhduh

I'm not real happy with my S10 right now. Nothing wrong with the bike, it's me. Took Miss Piggy out for a spin and blasted up a local FS road, nothing to tough. Got off the bike put my leg on the center stand to pull it up and my back went out. Fortunately I kicked down the sidestand before I dropped to the ground. The Doc says no more riding for at least 6 months, herniated disc, we'll see how long that lasts. Just really pissed at the bike cause its sits there calling me to go riding and I can't take her.
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #65
Crosshair
Taking Aim........

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
I'm not real happy with my S10 right now. Nothing wrong with the bike, it's me. Took Miss Piggy out for a spin and blasted up a local FS road, nothing to tough. Got off the bike put my leg on the center stand to pull it up and my back went out. Fortunately I kicked down the sidestand before I dropped to the ground. The Doc says no more riding for at least 6 months, herniated disc, we'll see how long that lasts. Just really pissed at the bike cause its sits there calling me to go riding and I can't take her.
I'm sure there's plenty of inmates willing to keep her fit for you
Crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #66
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Ok, I rode one today finally.
First impressions, compared to what I'm used to riding, a Buell Uly.
I left it in sport mode, did a little over 100 miles.
It was more more vibey than I expected, especially below 4k rpm. There were quite a few noises I wasn't used to. Do the final drives have some gear whine or was it something else?
Engine pulled pretty good at higher rpm but the low end torque was nonexistent. This was my biggest complaint about the bike. A 1200 twin should have torque.
Suspension was pretty good on rough roads, felt really confident on the few miles of gravel I was on.
Handling was good, not up to uly standards but as good as I expected, drug a peg once, used the tire to the edge and it never did anything strange.

Overall I leave with mixed emotions, perfectly good bike but I'm not sure it's for me. Pity, I really wanted to like it.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #67
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 444
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
Ok, I rode one today finally.
First impressions, compared to what I'm used to riding, a Buell Uly.
I left it in sport mode, did a little over 100 miles.
It was more more vibey than I expected, especially below 4k rpm. There were quite a few noises I wasn't used to. Do the final drives have some gear whine or was it something else?
Engine pulled pretty good at higher rpm but the low end torque was nonexistent. This was my biggest complaint about the bike. A 1200 twin should have torque.
Suspension was pretty good on rough roads, felt really confident on the few miles of gravel I was on.
Handling was good, not up to uly standards but as good as I expected, drug a peg once, used the tire to the edge and it never did anything strange.

Overall I leave with mixed emotions, perfectly good bike but I'm not sure it's for me. Pity, I really wanted to like it.
I share your disappointment. From my experience, I believe the whine your hear is from the tranny. I personally don't like the long shift throws & engagement from the transmission. Perhaps all that linkage crap has something to do with it or maybe it's a "break in" thing. A lot of S10 people say the motor gets better with age and miles. Your right about the lack of torque but this can be helped with a couple of free fixes. One being the Clutch Switch mod, the other is going in and opening up the air screws in the TBs. This makes a big difference in driveability. I find it telling that people are still vetting the latest bash plate for the bike. You would think it wouldn't be that difficult but apparently it is. Not a bad commuter bike though.

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #68
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
It was more more vibey than I expected, especially below 4k rpm.
Do the final drives have some gear whine or was it something else?
Engine pulled pretty good at higher rpm but the low end torque was nonexistent.
Vibes - smooths out after breaking in, grip puppies help in the interim.
Gear whine - smooths out after breaking in, don't even notice it myself.
Torque - clutch switch shorting wakes it up.

In short, time and <$10 in bits fixes all your issues.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #69
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,991
Torque thing is interesting. The articles said the FJR was a "Frieght Train" with gobs of torque.
I never thought it did much until over 5,000 rpm. My Tenere has always felt to have better mid
range power, even stock. It has had the reflash, opened the TB screws and now the clutch mod.

Fantastic pulling bike now. I think the bike has always been a bit if a sleeper in that it performs
better than seat of the pants test lets you feel.

I also had one of the smooth ones from out of the crate. I can't feel a thing in pegs or seat.
Bars some at hard acceleration and the mirrors are seldom crystal clear. For the size
twin it is I thought it's more than acceptable. Sorry, not trying to get all teary eyed.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #70
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Not a bad commuter bike?

I ride it almost every day. In all weather. So yea, I commute on it.
But all the miles I have ridden 2-up, and all over 2 continents, would kind of overshadow those commute miles.

I guess if I JUST commuted, I coulda saved a lot of $$ on farkling though.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #71
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
So how long does it take to smooth out? The one I rode also had a really clunky tranny, almost 2k miles when I brought it back.
Maybe I'll get a chance to ride another one day. Any time it was below 4k rpm it felt like it was laboring down there. I'd read more than a few comment about that, just figured people were being too picky. Maybe I'm being too picky. Lol
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #72
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Bike has great balance but the motor blows. Was at my local Yamaha dealer two days ago looking at a DR650 SE for my son and got into a conversation with the sales manager. We were talking about adventure bikes in general. He recalled me riding the Super T a few months back and asked what I thought. He also said he spent several hours riding one as well. I told him it would be an awesome bike if the motor would just have any hint of grin factor. He agreed.
If they would just give it more torque in the bottom it would be a winner.
My offer stands.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #73
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster
2012 White XC. Before that I had a 2007 Sprint ST ABS. Bought both new
I'll drag race you to 100 for pinks. 2012 super tenere. I'm in SC. I'll even go best 2 out 3 and give you 3 lengths.

In this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806008
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #74
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
So how long does it take to smooth out? The one I rode also had a really clunky tranny, almost 2k miles when I brought it back.
Maybe I'll get a chance to ride another one day. Any time it was below 4k rpm it felt like it was laboring down there. I'd read more than a few comment about that, just figured people were being too picky. Maybe I'm being too picky. Lol
Maybe 5K, I dunno 'cause I don't notice it anymore and I'm at 25K. Anything above 3K revs is fine and even as low as 2K on the flat in top gear doesn't feel laboured at all.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #75
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Name calling and personal attacks will not be tolerated in the bike forums.. keep it up and you'll get the boot. . Punted the crap out of here.