Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #91
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post
And budget luggage solutions....

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #92
211john
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
My Tenere has a little over 5,000 miles now. Here is my list of complaints:

1. The engine is not smooth. When it was new it was rough. It's pretty good now, but I would never use the word smooth to describe it. I don't know what other people are experiencing, but I feel like I was deceived by the reviews.
2. 1st gear is too tall. It's a big bike and when I have it loaded up with luggage I'd like a granny gear.
3. Hard to get just a little gas at low rpm. Goes with #2. This is my 1st fuel injected bike so maybe that's got something to do with it. No, I haven't tried any of the mods. Yes I am aware of them. I'll get to them eventually. The tall gearing would be easier to deal with if I could get better throttle response below 2k.
4. It seems to be attracting former KLR owners as buyers. I don't want to show up at an owners rally and have everyone trying to stick me with a check.
5. I think it's overpriced. Other than shaft drive, abs and traction control what features does it have that make it 15k? I noticed that other similar bikes are also overpriced. Maybe I shouldn't have said #4 out loud, those are probably my people.
6. I'm just not excited about it.

That said I'm keeping it. I like the handling and it's the first bike I can ride for a full tank without having to take butt breaks. On dirt roads it's great. I've taken it down some pretty rough roads and thought for sure I was going to have problems. But it just goes along fine. Doesn't want to wash out. Doesn't follow ruts. Very stable. I bought it for long trips and exploring and it's good for that.

My last bike was a 1st gen FZ1.
211john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #93
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
I had a KLR once, you should be more than happy with a tenere. I can honestly say that the only bike I've ever regretting buying was a KLR, no offense to the KLR crowd.

I've not completely ruled out a tenere, maybe one day I'll get to ride one with some miles and mods some to it and see what I think. I want to ride a few other bikes as well, no one bike appeals to everyone but I really thought I'd like this one.

One more thing, what kind of seats are you guys running, my wife was not happy on the back, rider seat was OK.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #94
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
What an Asshat!!

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #95
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post
Panic not, I'm a happy KLR owner and I'm seriously think ng about the Super Tenere as my next ride so I'm interested in dissenting opinions. And budget luggage solutions....
I still have my KLR. It has not left the garage since I bought the Tenere. I don't think there is a
trail I would not take the Tenere on over the KLR. I could not say that with the Strom.

Since the Tenere has a bit of a "Rich mans KLR" reputation I would at least go with an Action Packer
over the milk crate for your budget luggage.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #96
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211john View Post
My Tenere has a little over 5,000 miles now. Here is my list of complaints:

1. The engine is not smooth. When it was new it was rough. It's pretty good now, but I would never use the word smooth to describe it. I don't know what other people are experiencing, but I feel like I was deceived by the reviews.
2. 1st gear is too tall. It's a big bike and when I have it loaded up with luggage I'd like a granny gear.
3. Hard to get just a little gas at low rpm. Goes with #2. This is my 1st fuel injected bike so maybe that's got something to do with it. No, I haven't tried any of the mods. Yes I am aware of them. I'll get to them eventually. The tall gearing would be easier to deal with if I could get better throttle response below 2k.
4. It seems to be attracting former KLR owners as buyers. I don't want to show up at an owners rally and have everyone trying to stick me with a check.
5. I think it's overpriced. Other than shaft drive, abs and traction control what features does it have that make it 15k? I noticed that other similar bikes are also overpriced. Maybe I shouldn't have said #4 out loud, those are probably my people.
6. I'm just not excited about it.

That said I'm keeping it. I like the handling and it's the first bike I can ride for a full tank without having to take butt breaks. On dirt roads it's great. I've taken it down some pretty rough roads and thought for sure I was going to have problems. But it just goes along fine. Doesn't want to wash out. Doesn't follow ruts. Very stable. I bought it for long trips and exploring and it's good for that.

My last bike was a 1st gen FZ1.
For how simple and cheap (KLR owner speaking) try the TB adjustment and clutch mod first.
Nothing to lose and it only takes minutes. The $500 reflash made it feel like a very well sorted
out jetted bike. Smoothed out flat spots and in my opinion was money well spent.

I kept my FZ1 in case I needed a speed rush. It's buzzy and puts my hands to sleep. Small price
to pay for the warp speed grin.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #97
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

Since the Tenere has a bit of a "Rich mans KLR" reputation...:
Geez last year it was a poor mans BMW. Have we been demoted already?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #98
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Geez last year it was a poor mans BMW. Have we been demoted already?
That's a promotion.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #99
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
My Tenere has a little over 5,000 miles now. I'm just not excited about it.
After spending three days on a S10, I felt the same way. Couldn't wait to get back on my KTM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #100
arkline
Glorified AV Boy

Oddometer: 191
OK, I'll 'fess up. I traded the Super Ten in last weekend. On the road, it was pretty nice. Super steady (on rails as the media say), very responsive handling, pretty decent suspension for a guy coming off an R1150R, and so weiter und so fort. In motion, I would agree with most of the owners here - great bike.

But when it wasn't rolling at speed, it was more than I felt comfortable with. Tall, fairly high COG, and freaking heavy. Moving it around the garage was a chore, especially when the tank was full. It just never felt easy enough. I couldn't really get enough foot down at stops, definitely hated stopping on grated bridges, and couldn't back peddle into a parking space. In short, it was more bike than I personally could handle. I admit it. It got to the point where (contrary to the usual), I'd make excuses to not ride the bike. Seriously, that's stupid. So, no more Tenere for me...
"I don't blame a man f'r bein' stingy anny more thin I blame him f'r havin' a bad leg. Ye know th' doctors say that if ye don't use wan iv ye'er limbs f'r a year or so ye can niver use it again. So it is with gin'rosity."
-- Finley Peter Dunne, 1899.
arkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #101
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,829
I have had mine almost a year now. It is a superb MC my two thoughts the gas consumption is a little on the thirsty size and it cries out for a steering stabilizer on gravel roads .

I have had two 1150 GS's and currently own a KTM 990 and a BMW K1200GT. The Tenere is the quietest bike of the three on the road, zero wind noise. My wife was talking about this when we went out for a 300 km toot Saturday evening. The ABS brakes are first rate and saved our ass Saturday

I am tall and my bike has custom suspension making a tall bike taller, it would be a handful for a shorter rider to move around.I can see riding this bike for a decade or more.

I view it as a dual sport tourer more than a dual sport.

"Bill, I know you are of the ATGATT ilk but I think at times it clouds your reasoning."
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #102
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
After spending three days on a S10, I felt the same way. Couldn't wait to get back on my KTM.
There are many forms of self flagellation. I'm happy you found one that works for you.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #103
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
There are many forms of self flagellation. I'm happy you found one that works for you.
With an aftermarket seat, it is not too bad if you have to ride some pavement to get to the dirty stuff. Then you are on the pegs and the seat doesn't matter anyhow.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #104
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkline View Post

But when it wasn't rolling at speed, it was more than I felt comfortable with. Tall, fairly high COG, and freaking heavy. Moving it around the garage was a chore, especially when the tank was full. .
They really need to get a 900 out I reckon. These big bikes are just too big few quite a few folks. When I went to look at my bike I couldn't believe the guy who was selling it actually bought one in the first place, but glad he did.

On the other hand I don't find it hard to push around compared to other bikes around that size. It just requires less effort to balance for me, so more available for push I suppose.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #105
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
4. It seems to be attracting former KLR owners as buyers.