Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #31
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Awesome man, keep it coming. Got to watch out for the hamburger I hit one last week.
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #32
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,381
Great RR fellas! reading it is making me happy we coose route 3 CJ's !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #33
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Oddometer: 326
Laugh

Awesome stuff! Now you just need to get yourself a trail/dirtbike and we will learn you how to ride the fun stuff.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #34
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroblah View Post
Awesome stuff! Now you just need to get yourself a trail/dirtbike and we will learn you how to ride the fun stuff.
Tell me about it man! There is a very handsome Triumph Daytona 675 on consignment at 505 Motorsports, the sale of which would go a long ways towards such a trail/dirt ride to replace it
officerleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #35
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Great RR! The OBDR is on my short list of rides to do. I may have to go to Barstow and check out the DR.

Thanks for posting.

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #36
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Ok I know your in California at the gp races, but that is no excuse to slack on your RR.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #37
positivelynegative
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm doing this trip with my dad in about 3 weeks and impatiently waiting for an update!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
positivelynegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #38
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelynegative View Post
I'm doing this trip with my dad in about 3 weeks and impatiently waiting for an update!
Dude, I had the update ready to go last night then went to submit and I got the "you've been logged off" message and lost it all. I was/still am pretty pissed. And, I'm goin to the RMAR rally this weekend so no online time for a couple days (a good thing). Maybe check back sunday...
Old 08-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #39
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6: Section 3 of OBDR. 167 miles, Moving average 33.3mph.

After the previous day's huge amount of riding and rushed feeling, we were ready to tone it down a bit and have a somewhat more relaxed day. It was the 4th of July after all. Think it was around 9 before I woke up and headed down for the free hotel breakfast. After a leisurely paced breakfast the plan was to go over to John Day Fossil Beds National Monument about 30 miles or so away (again, really just to check the Oregon box for the IBA NPT).

The national monument visitor's center was kinda cool, but I'm fine if I never get to go back.

I think we spent all of 3 minutes there before seeing all we needed to see. Kinda like Clark Griswold at the Grand Canyon:

From there it was back to John Day for lunch at a local pizza/burger place. That had some really good looking pies so I decided to order up a big piece of coconut cream as an appetizer to my bacon cheeseburger.

After lunch we caught back up to the OBDR and were soon ripping on fast forest roads again, It wasn't long before we ended up at the Frasier Lookout tower.

There was also this sign:

Pfft, much like computers, signs are all fact and no heart. So up the tower Benny and I went, unless some USFS ranger is reading this in which case I stole pictures from someone else and didn't actually go up...

Pretty steep steps:

View from the top:

Afterwards Benny whippped up some espressos and I took a look at the maps:

I was specifically looking for the river crossings that we were supposed to come up to. Here's Benny off to a strong start on the first one:

but he's not called "shit-show" for nothing:

We got the little GS pulled out and thankfully had only sucked in water to the pipe. After some cranking it turned right over:

I was tired of having dry feet anyways:

The riding continued to be some of the best we'd ridden so far. Buff two track like this:

I didn't want to let Benny be the only one to lose it in a river so I purposely decided to give my GS a little bath too (the video is long I know, i have no idea how to edit them though):

After the combination of river crossings, tower climbing, and fast riding we felt like the original gangsters of ADVENTURE RIDING themselves, the godfathers Ewan and Charley. We took an appropriately posed picture of us in full adventure awesomeness:

Don't be confused by the striking similiariy, that isn't Ewan and Charley in that pic above, here's what those two look like:

I remembered seeing this picture years back and thinking what a bunch of posers (even if they actually were on a RTW trip). Even Benny and I's best attempt at spoofing Ewan and Charley didn't come out half as gay. Seriously why are they so close together??

Okay, enough making fun of Ewan and Charley. We splashed on some more Adventure cologne and continued on the amazing roads.

We were getting near the end of Section 3 headed toward the town of Unity. Based on the map, I was expecting another place like Seneca with maybe a gas station and not much else. We were pleasantly suprised however when we rolled up onto this place:

Inside was one of the coolest bars I've ever been in:

Again, it was the 4th of July and we had the place all to oursleves. I would've been happy with just the cold beers and mediocre food, but the food was amazing. Best prime rib sandwich i've ever had:

To add to the bar's coolness it was also a convenience store that sold all the essentials for camping. We loaded up with said essentials and headed toward our campsite we scoped out on the way in:

I set about to starting a campfire and turn around to see Benny trying to disassemble his entire bike:

That little GS was taking quite a beating on this trip and if you listened closely you could hear feint cries of "kill me....kiiilllll meeeee" coming from the engine.

This day had everything we were looking for from the OBDR. Awesome weather, scenery, food, and most of all great riding. We took some pretty decent GoPro that i'll post up later. Couldn't have been a better day really.

officerleroy screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 10:27 AM
Old 08-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #40
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Lovin the report and the humor , keep it rolling
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,546
Cool report, nice narration and pics!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #42
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

We're waiting!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #43
primetime
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Great report Trey. Can't wait to see the remainder. You guys have grown up since I knew you back in Oklahoma.
What a great experience for all of you. You will be talking about this for years to come. The "old man" did a pretty darn nice river crossing .

Garry
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #44
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 734
Day 7, Section 4 of OBDR

I don't have the mileage so, I'll let OL post that.

This was our last day on the trail, after a great campsite near Unity we headed out on what was to be one of the better days of off roading. The day started with me dropping the crank off of my coffee grinder into a creek at the campground. Luckily I was able to retrieve it after several attempts. I also noticed something got in to the espresso pods I was carrying:

After breakfast at the same place we had dinner, we headed out. This was the flavor of the day for roads:

We rode most of the day through the Umatilla National Forest. OL has better pics so I'll let him fill in with photos. We did stop for a bit at a cool store to have a snack and allow our fet/socks/boots to dry out:

Across the street were several old Army trucks.

And the rest of the town:

Now we come to the most controversial point in the trip. Since I am telling the story this time you'll hear my version, which is the actual account, first. The gravel forest roads were great, we were cooking along with a 200-300 meter dust interval. The gravel surface was just right and I was having a blast through the corners, not exactly "steering with the rear wheel" but kicking the rear end out and sliding through the exit. I had just gone through a nice sweeping left hander and was set up for a somewhat tighter right right hander. In the process I applied just a touch of rear brake to bleed off a little speed. The next thing I knew, I lost the rear end and low sided, hard. Landed on my hip, shoulder, and head. I was up immediately and after a quick assessment realized the only damage was to pride and some small scratches on my helmet. But most importantly, I noticed my waterproof bag had fallen half off the luggage rack and one of the Rok Straps was broken. Look closely at the rear wheel in this pic, which we will call exhibit A:

Here is a close up of what you are looking for, we will call this Exhibit 2:

After picking up the bike and making the assumption that I either overcooked the corner or the braking, we used a spare strap to secure the bag and away we went. After a few miles we stopped at the point of the above pics to do a route check. It was there I noticed the piece of strap caught in the spokes. Obviously, the strap broke and locked the rear causing my fall. Of course, since I was the only rider that hadn't fell up to that point, OL wanted to blame my riding. You be the judge.
thencamebronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #45
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by thencamebronson;19503224
Here is a close up of what you are looking for, we will call this Exhibit 2:

[IMG
http://bronson.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/OBDR/i-Jxqfhxx/0/S/wheel-S.png[/IMG]

You be the judge
Photoshop! Yep obvious Photoshop! Clearly a cover up for the actual incident