Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
iPhone GPS apps

Is there one that doesn't suck? Currently, on my phone I have Motion X, Telenav, Mapsource, Waze and the uber expensive Garmin. They all suck. All of them.

I find it hard to believe that folks are using an iPhone for nav. Maybe, it's my phone though??? That is a possibility. I have pretty much the same complaints with all of them. They'll find me, then lose me. Send me off course. Take forever to recalculate. Motion X loses me all the time. They'll all show me at random times several streets away. Then, out of the blue it'll work fine again.

If the technology just isn't there yet, I'm fine by that. If folks are truly using these successfully I'd like to hear that as well. Maybe, it is my phone? That'd be nice to learn!

Maybe, I'm expecting too much? I've been using various Garmin GPS's for years. I expect my phone to behave as seamlessly, and I'm disappointed by it.

On a different note, do any of these GPS apps have a Basecamp/Mapsource-esque program that can be used for creating/uploading routes etc? My guess is that we're just not there yet but thought I'd ask.

Cheers
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Must be your phone.
Run MotionX Drive and GPS both do just a little prep work and the running off the map stuff ends.
Used MotionX GPS in 8 states and to navigate around in Playa del Carmen, Mexico and to the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza, Coba and Tulum, no lost signals....why, prep work.
Forget BaseCamp, lay out your route or waypoints in Google Earth, run them through GPS Babble, then you can drag and drop or email them to the phone. Incredibly simple.
Or do your route inside the app, it really easy.
Good luck with it.
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejedeye View Post
Must be your phone.
Run MotionX Drive and GPS both do just a little prep work and the running off the map stuff ends.
Used MotionX GPS in 8 states and to navigate around in Playa del Carmen, Mexico and to the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza, Coba and Tulum, no lost signals....why, prep work.
Forget BaseCamp, lay out your route or waypoints in Google Earth, run them through GPS Babble, then you can drag and drop or email them to the phone. Incredibly simple.
Or do your route inside the app, it really easy.
Good luck with it.
Thanks. Must be my phone. As for Google Earth. I think I need the Google Earth for Dummies book I'm not too bright
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
I suspect it is your phone. I have the Garmin App and it is every bit as good, if not better, than their dedicated hardware.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I suspect it is your phone. I have the Garmin App and it is every bit as good, if not better, than their dedicated hardware.
I wonder if there is a reset or something for the GPS function on an iPhone? I tried googling it and sounds like others have similar problems. Some have even had there phones replaced.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
socalmoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Roadmate

I use Roadmate 100% of the time. I have a nav system in my truck but always use RM when I need to.
socalmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,430
For me, I lock my iphone in the tailbag, and forget about it till I stop. It's a phone first, e-mail second, etc.

For navigation, I stick to my 88$ Garmin Nuvi refurb. If it falls off or gets wet, it will not cost $500 to replace.

Just me!@

Update:

Your original post makes no mention of using it only in your truck- silly me, it's a motorcycle forum.

~Butch Cassidy

Unstable Rider screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 12:46 PM Reason: update
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
For me, I lock my iphone in the tailbag, and forget about it till I stop. It's a phone first, e-mail second, etc.

For navigation, I stick to my 88$ Garmin Nuvi refurb. If it falls off or gets wet, it will not cost $500 to replace.

Just me!@
This is for my truck, not bike.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,261
I like Navigon on my iPhone 4. I recently used it when my Zumo 550 died in Europe. I was able to continue my trip from France to Spain where I bought a replacement GPS (Zumo 660). The iPhone remains my backup unit.

Disclosure: for Garmin haters, Navigon was purchased by Garmin !!

Navigon app: http://www.navigon.com/portal/us/pro...iphone_us.html
Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,734
Do any of these work off-pavement, i.e. Forest Service roads? Do they depend on cell service, or are they true GPS apps using satellites? Much of where I like to ried has little to no cell reception- and no pavement.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #11
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Do any of these work off-pavement, i.e. Forest Service roads? Do they depend on cell service, or are they true GPS apps using satellites? Much of where I like to ried has little to no cell reception- and no pavement.

1911fan
No cell phone service required. It is a true GPS chip in the phone.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
iPhone

to the OP - are you using a newer iPhone? I believe they have made major upgrades to the GPS capability with each successive version. From what I'm told, Apple stays on the cutting edge of location/map technology and uses multiple systems (GPS, cell tower triangulation, etc.) to find you location accurately and quickly.

Back with my old iPhone 3G - it was just way too slow to use these applications reliably. The next-up 3GS was much faster, but sucked my battery dry faster than I could charge it on the bike. All problems were resolved with my iPhone 4. I haven't upgraded to the 4S - but don't see much of a reason yet.

I use mine all the time, with none of the issues you mention. My apps:
- Magellan Roadmate - my prime iPhone nav app as it does not need 3G data connection
- Motion-X - captures and downloads .gpx routes. Has capability to pre-load maps to offset the "must stay in 3G range" issue
- Waze - great app for traffic-sensitive areas (e.g. LA). I've only used it in my car, not yet on the bike
- Motion X Drive - does most of what Roadmate does, but for $5 (although it does need 3G for map downloads)

Keeping it cool and dry is the challenge.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
to the OP - are you using a newer iPhone? I believe they have made major upgrades to the GPS capability with each successive version. From what I'm told, Apple stays on the cutting edge of location/map technology and uses multiple systems (GPS, cell tower triangulation, etc.) to find you location accurately and quickly.

Back with my old iPhone 3G - it was just way too slow to use these applications reliably. The next-up 3GS was much faster, but sucked my battery dry faster than I could charge it on the bike. All problems were resolved with my iPhone 4. I haven't upgraded to the 4S - but don't see much of a reason yet.

I use mine all the time, with none of the issues you mention. My apps:
- Magellan Roadmate - my prime iPhone nav app as it does not need 3G data connection
- Motion-X - captures and downloads .gpx routes. Has capability to pre-load maps to offset the "must stay in 3G range" issue
- Waze - great app for traffic-sensitive areas (e.g. LA). I've only used it in my car, not yet on the bike
- Motion X Drive - does most of what Roadmate does, but for $5 (although it does need 3G for map downloads)

Keeping it cool and dry is the challenge.
I guess I need to amend the first post a little. I have a iPhone4. My phone has always been ok, but slightly quirky in ways. I also recently dropped it and smashed the glass for the second time. $150 later I got a replacement. This new phone has been GREAT. Not quirky and the GPS functions work as they should, so it was definitely the phone itself. I'm happy about that!
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 08-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Natedawg4081
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Gaia GPS works good
Natedawg4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
RMRichar
Quidditch Captain

Oddometer: 24
Just in time for me to dive into waypoint track planning with motionX, it's now on sale for only $.99

I'm not affiliated - just think this is a hell of a bargain.
RMRichar is offline   Reply With Quote