User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
gcarper OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Long ride--what fun

On the 5th of June 2 guys from Gaffney SC[ Mickey Moss and myself, Golden Carper] and 1 guy [ Charles Rippy ]from Lincolnton NC took off on a little ride out west. 2 Suzuki Vstroms and 1 BMW GS1200. So what? you say. Well the youngest is 62 and the oldest 74. Oh yes, we camped out and other than I-70 to Denver rode all back roads. Visited Durango CO where one of the Vstroms had a new chain installed, then over to Four Corners, Up to Moab UT and Arches National Park. Couldn’t find an empty spot to camp anywhere. We had waited too late. One camp site owner said there was ATV park on top of the mountain that allowed camping. So to the mountain we went, nothing but sand and rocks. But whatca gonna do? Pitched our tents and had to put rocks all around the base as the sand wouldn’t hold the stakes and the wind was howling. Rough? yes---Primitive? yes, but what a view over the mountain tops and the millions of stars that glowed in the sky when I had to ------ well, being 74 you know. Next day we’re on US 24 through Capital Reef NP and US 12 out of Torrey UT and portion of which I’ve posted on YouTube on goldencarpers channel.http://www.youtube.com/user/goldencarper. Then across the Nevada desert on US 6 over to Yosemite NP. Beautiful camping near there. Headed north through California up to the Redwoods NP. Got lost [one of many times] following a road through the redwoods, the road suddenly became dirt and went up over a mountain and down the other side. Came to an intersection of which the GPS showed only 3 roads of 4. Stop, dig out maps, doesn’t help. An Indian drove by and seeing the expressions on our faces, stopped, backed up and ask if we were lost. YES. Told us to go down the road not showing on the GPS to Happy Camp----which is the name of a village. They had a café and campgrounds with showers!!!! Wonderful meal and the tent site at the campground was beside a little mountain stream. Really outrageous prices though----$15 for the 3 of us. Wish California gas was as cheap. Our next stop was in Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge. We had intended to go through Montana and into Yellow Stone NP but our time was running out so we headed back to the wonderful green mountains of NC and home. Total of 7200 miles and now we’re thinking of a trip to Nova Scotia.
gcarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
/BOW!!! Great RR and man, I hope I live to be as young as you one day :)

More Pics PLEASE :)
K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Stkmkt1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Absolutely fantastic! Hope you all take many more trips. I had and uncle back in the 70's that rode till he was in his mid-80's. Maybe that's where I get this motorcycle thing.
Needs: new garage (in planning) Need more room for more bikes.
Stkmkt1 is offline   Reply With Quote