Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Nice pictures.

You guy's are both very lucky.

Keep it rollin'.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,576
Great pics so far Looking forward to the rest.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Lucky, that pizza joint was Pizza Madness and you are right, it was great.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

So, Ute Trail got a little boring as far as being on a graded easy to ride gravel road. I saw a smaller road to my left and without too much discussion, we took it. It was a little 2-track deal. Not too technical, just the right amount for some fun.

Started to get a little hairy with this hill but still not too bad.

It opened up into a nice wide view where we stopped for a breath and a stretch.

But before long we were ready to roll again. The trail narrowed a bit and got a little more rocky. It was definitely headed down the mountain at this point.

I lead the way, and Lucky was close behind.

Things were getting even rockier and a little dicey if you chose the wrong line. This is the kind of stuff I live for.

I've been able to convince Lucky over the years that this is fun.

We started seeing a decline in the "road" at this point. Still not terrible to me, I think Lucky may have been getting nervous by now. But the dude is a trooper and was a champ in wrasslin' his pig around the obstacles.

We were eventually rewarded with a nice view of Salida. Salida would become my favorite town of the trip. More on that later.

Lucky has some vid of me leading the charge down this boulder-fest. We paid the price for that view of Salida around the next curve when we were greeted with this:

Obviously, all the rainwater from the mountain was using this as its pathway downhill. Lots of ruts and lots of rocks. This was a sketchy section. I can't believe the bags on my 950 didn't ever hit the ledge and tumble me down.

Lucky's victory pose

Eventually it let out north of Salida where we rode into town for a well deserved cold beer at Victoria Bar. "Vanessa", the well-inked bartender there, was pretty cool and knew a lot about the history of the town. She had a pretty rad book that had lots of very cool old pics in it. We sat there drinking a cold beer for awhile before walking across the street to grab a pretty dang good burger before jumping back on the bikes to find our campsite for the night....
Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
el' hefe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Yo mo-fo's!! I am in! It is always refreshing to see adventure bikes ridden like.....well...adventure bikes!

...subscribed......
el' hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,839
Looks like some great riding so far, if not a bit technical on some bigger bikes.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,153
Flux, looks like you guys are having some fun. Great pics! Hope to see you when you get back.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el' hefe View Post
Yo mo-fo's!! I am in! It is always refreshing to see adventure bikes ridden like.....well...adventure bikes!

...subscribed......
Hey Jeff, you gonna be doing a report on your solo travel? Great running into you on Engineer Pass. I love that road.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Dan, Marty, Billy, Beau, Mark, and any other local DOGs reading this... we need to do some riding sometime soon. I've gotten the itch for adventure again. I can't WAIT to ride again (which is gonna be a daily occurrence now that Banjo came down and bought my truck today!).
Old 07-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
el' hefe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Mos' definitely.

I am a day or two behind you guys in regards to starting a RR. Today is my 9th anniversary with my wife, and even though she is cool as anyone can be, tonight will not be the night to start my report. You will see why in the near future. But don't let that stop you guys from posting; it is great to see the backstory to your trip!

Pretty cool to come from opposite sides of the country, only to meet up in such a rad location!
el' hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el' hefe View Post
Mos' definitely.

I am a day or two behind you guys in regards to starting a RR. Today is my 9th anniversary with my wife, and even though she is cool as anyone can be, tonight will not be the night to start my report. You will see why in the near future. But don't let that stop you guys from posting; it is great to see the backstory to your trip!

Pretty cool to come from opposite sides of the country, only to meet up in such a rad location!
Cool Jeff, and congrats on the anniversary. Ride Reports take a LONG time to put together, best to satisfy momma's needs before you hook the camera up, lol. It was definitely a random place to bump into each other. Very cool the way it works sometime.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #27
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
Dan, Marty, Billy, Beau, Mark, and any other local DOGs reading this... we need to do some riding sometime soon. I've gotten the itch for adventure again. I can't WAIT to ride again (which is gonna be a daily occurrence now that Banjo came down and bought my truck today!).
Beau's ready to ride when you guys are, but count me out from Aug 8 thru Aug ??? cause that's when WE head west.

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #28
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Glad you finally made it out there.

I was really looking foward to this guys. Now I just hope coates doesn't notice the truck part. Just kidding! Now you've got to get another thumper and do the off-road stuff next time. Maybe I can make that one too. Now carry on please.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #29
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,657
flux, why did you only post the pictures where my feet were down? i sware they were on the pegs most of the time lol

heres some pictures from the other side of the camera

the only picture i have of you behind me ... and i almost missed it lol

this is how the day started

this is where i could tell he was getting excited

and then we got bored and flux decided to try our luck down atv tril 181. it was a blast. the gs was way more stable footed than i thought it would be. and for most of the way i always was able to see flux. although towards the end i wasnt able to follow his path because of ground clearance issues....but none the less....the big red angry bird battled through and conquered everything i could through at her.

believe it or not....i did not dump it on this trail. i came close.....but i didnt happen. just keep the throttle up, lean, and rolll over things. it was a blast and deffenitly the highlight of my riding career.

cutting those cases close

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,657

there salida....waaayyy down there. flux's favorite town in the country...oh, and see the mountain with the spiral road going up it.? there is a white small building at the top. it used to be the ice cream store. grandpa WAS right...he really did have to walk up hill both ways to get a scoop of ice cream. lol

o yes... and the rattlesnake that surely wouldhave gotten one of us if he hadnt just eaten...see the prairie dog in his belly?

this is my only picture of salida lol

and the last picture before i hand the ball to my brother

so now its time to find camp right? after debating weather or not we just wanted to stay in salida and enjoy the artsy little town...we decied to keep heading west. and we foundan awesome campsite. well it was awesome until the storms came through. but flux can start that story while i make some dinner and have a beer

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561

lucky_strike screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 05:59 PM
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote